Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones

He's young for every other position besides RB. Will turn 27 during the first season of the contract. Main thing going for him is low mileage his first 2 years.

But still, how often do these big long term RB signings after their rookie contracts work out?

If we can spend 12+ million on 1 player, I'd hope we'd be able to allocated it better elsewhere.
I’m hoping to get Jones on a deal that we can walk away from after 2-3 years. I’m hoping it’s a fair deal and I hope we still draft a RB. He just turned 26 in December so he’s gonna be 26 through most of the season. His legs will be fine for 3 more years.

Yes, but the "learning" is to get a proven stud at a good age, without injury issues. You cannot compare Jones to these other guys. Drafting an RB early does not mean they turn into a star. Jones is a star. I get the interest but am leery on the money as well. We cannot pretend that the draft will instantly yield a great back. Signing a UFA also allows the team to use one of those high picks on another position.

Well that goes both ways, if we signed a edge rusher, WR, LB or whatever position then it would be one less position we would need to use on a high draft pick on. RB's are a dime a dozen and easier to replace - see Antonio Gibson and James Robinson, hell even Gaskins. a position like a good edge rusher is more difficult to find. look at the rookie RB class last year all the top 5 or 6 RB's showed a lot of promise. I just don't agree with spending big money on a position so devalued like the RB especially if we can draft one much cheaper and younger.

I’m hoping to get Jones on a deal that we can walk away from after 2-3 years. I’m hoping it’s a fair deal and I hope we still draft a RB. He just turned 26 in December so he’s gonna be 26 through most of the season. His legs will be fine for 3 more years.

I don't even think there are NFL contracts that can't be walked away from after 3 years so you have no worries there. Even the Patrick Mahomes massive contract can be walked away from in the 2023 offseason (3 years after) with only 4 million dead.

Jones himself was drafted in the 5th Round which shows there is value in the later rounds at the RB position. We drafted Ajayi in the 5th not so long ago and he was good value.

I like Jones but as far as the RB position goes, I think we keep our powder dry until the draft. Save the cap for a better value FA if we can.

Spending top dollar on a FA RB would be a nightmare scenario. The only comparable off-season outcome I could imagine being as much of a nightmare would be spending the 3rd overall pick on Sewell.

I don't have a problem signing a veteran RB, but my preference is for a draft pick in the mid rounds. Sure, I'm devaluing the RB position ... but that's how I feel about it in today's pass-first NFL. How much of an upgrade is he over the Myles Gaskins and Salvon Ahmed types we have on the roster already? Is he a 7M+ per year upgrade? IMHO, maybe not. He wants 15M per year, but FA RB's get Melvin Gordon type contracts, so he's likely to get under 10M per year, which is the only reason I'm even remotely interested.

Salary cap management means finding those spots where you can get by with cheaper players. IMHO, the RB spot is one of those places. Now if we add a Travis Etienne or Najee Harris, that's 4 to 5 years of stellar RB play at a time when they have less mileage and greater durability than a FA, and for a much lower salary. If we need an upgrade at RB, I'd prefer to draft one.
I feel similarly, although I'd potentially look R2 at running back. Howard, Williams (R2) and Stevenson (R3 or R4) are probably the best fits to pair with Gaskin and Ahmed.

Jones is going to cost anywhere from $10-12 million, I would think. That's about half what Miami currently has to spend cap-wise. I know Grier will make a few cuts, possibly Wilson and Hurns, to clear some cap space, but that's still a lot for a running back.

Spending big FA money on a RB wouldn't be my first choice, but at the speculated 4/46 25 mil guaranteed, I don't see it as horrid. He would be a great fit, we'd be getting him in what should be his prime and he really doesn't have a ton of wear and tear. Our RB room (and offense in general) would hugely upgraded and quite good with Jones, Gaskins and Ahmed. I could also see us adding Michael Carter later in the draft.

If any RB you want, it's Aaron Jones... 4/42 with 23M GTD would be ideal, but not sure if that's going to fly.

I'd love to draft Williams in the second but i also see the benefit of adding a vet to our young offense that will probably get even younger should we use a 1st round pick on a WR

Around 10 mil Jones might be an interesting piece to add IMO

Back
Top Bottom