Quarterbacks In The Draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterbacks In The Draft

Elite or consistent high level NFL quarterbacks don't grow on trees. It's one of the hardest things to do in sport.

I only see four in the college landscape that I see getting to that level. It just so happens that one of them COULD be available in this draft. Two of them could be available next year, and the last won't be available until 2021 at the earliest. They are Kyler Murray, Tua Tagovailoa and Jake Fromm, and Trevor Lawrence.

I do see two more guys with the ceilings to get there, if they keep adding pieces to their games. They are Justin Herbert and Jordan Love. Would it surprise me greatly if either continued growing and became another Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, or even Patrick Mahomes, in the right situation? Nope.

The other guys in this 2019 class, the top guys being Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and Easton Stick, they're worth taking a chance on. They might pan out. But I would honestly be legit shocked if any single one of the three turns out to be better than any single one of the four I mentioned above. The ceiling just isn't there. I could see one or two of them ending up better than Herbert or Love, if the latter two do not grow.

But even with Dwayne Haskins, there's just too much ordinary there, as opposed to extraordinary. There's too much, "qualified," as opposed to "over-qualified". He doesn't look like an exception to the rule. He looks like the rule.

At the end of the Washington game tonight, he was a deer in headlights during the 4th quarter while Jake Browning brought his team back from the brink and came on like a freight train. Haskins went 3 of 7 for 13 yards with a -6 yard sack. And the yardage came on a simple swing pass that went 14 yards due to good blocking and the defense losing contain.

Compare that with Tua Tagovailoa against Oklahoma. When Kyler Murray scored that touchdown to bring it to 31-20, and looked like he was really starting to get hot, do you know what Tua did? He went 8 of 8 for 88 yards and 2 TDs with a 4 yard run for the rest of the game. He heated up and put the Sooners to away, despite Murray becoming unstoppable.

Now tell me you really expect Dwayne Haskins to ever be in company with Tua Tagovailoa.

This isn’t reactionary to bowl game- I can see Fromm as a starting QB but he is a peg below Tua and Lawrence.
Haskins seems to be same level as Fromm.
Solid QB prospects top 5 picks bc of the position value but again watch the games.

Tua- Lawrence = Manning / Luck level prospects.

Reactions: A1.
Take Easton Stick in the 2nd/3rd and sign Fitzpatrick. Take Tua/Fromm next year if we are in that range. Having 2 QB is better than 0. Ask the Redskins

This isn’t reactionary to bowl game- I can see Fromm as a starting QB but he is a peg below Tua and Lawrence.
Haskins seems to be same level as Fromm.
Solid QB prospects top 5 picks bc of the position value but again watch the games.

Tua- Lawrence = Manning / Luck level prospects.

I don't agree that it's the same level. I'd be lying if I said I didn't also prefer Tua or Lawrence over Fromm as well, but I think it's going too far to say Fromm and Haskins are equivalent.

To me the disparity between elite QB and good starter, is allegorically an ocean. It’s everything in the NFL.
The difference between a Wilson Brees Rodgers and let’s say: Cousins, Alex Smith, Foles, etc. is in the most simple terms - everything.
To me Tua and Lawrence are elite.
If you’ve seen enough football you recognize it immediately. It’s universal. Charlize Theron is hot. It’s universal. Fact.
Fromm is not it - for me - IMO. Therefore, closer to Haskins than the aforementioned.

Kyler Murray and Oklahoma's offense clearly had not played any defense as fast, physical, and well coached as Alabama's. It showed.

For three drives.

The next SEVEN drives gained an average of 66 yards (with no drive gaining less than 41 yards), and scored 34 points.

The Alabama defense had not given up that many points since they lost the National Championship Game to DeShaun Watson, who scored 35 against them.

Good question. They towed the company line and said they would have taken Minkah anyways. Is Rosen better than say Haskins? I know I did not want Allen or Darnold. I liked Rosen and Mayfield. From what I remember Gase liked Mayfield and he was the QB in question that he wanted. We obviously did not or could not trade to get him. Just glad the Jets didn't.

High five on the "company line." As well as being a Dolfan in LA LA land, I am a native Oklahoman. Before the draft started, I was salivating for Mayfield. Apparently, even I had not assessed how right I was. Boom! He went absolutely number 1. Tannehill lovers will tell you we had other needs though. But like I have always said, the quarterback is to the team what the engine is to a car. Back when I was a 10 year old in 1958, that was not the quarterback but the fullback who was the engine of the auto, the hey day of Jim Brown. That all changed when Joe Willy won that SuperBowl in what 1969?

Kyler Murray and Oklahoma's offense clearly had not played any defense as fast, physical, and well coached as Alabama's. It showed.

For three drives.

The next SEVEN drives gained an average of 66 yards (with no drive gaining less than 41 yards), and scored 34 points.

The Alabama defense had not given up that many points since they lost the National Championship Game to DeShaun Watson, who scored 35 against them.

That was evident... only one defense even in the top 30 I believe.

Matt Waldman does a great 30 minute breakdown on Easton Stick, one of my favorites in the draft.

For three drives.

Not a fan of either team, but even in the first quarter the game could have gone completely different save two plays. Harris was very close to fumbling and turning the ball over on the goal line and Bama's next score could have just as easily been ruled an incomplete pass in the back of the end zone on 3rd & 5. It's funny how those plays could have completely rearranged the narrative around Kyler Murray's performance even though he had nothing to do with them.

Not a fan of either team, but even in the first quarter the game could have gone completely different save two plays. Harris was very close to fumbling and turning the ball over on the goal line and Bama's next score could have just as easily been ruled an incomplete pass in the back of the end zone on 3rd & 5. It's funny how those plays could have completely rearranged the narrative around Kyler Murray's performance even though he had nothing to do with them.

I thought Kyler struggled on the first couple of drives.

Anfernee Jennings throws him to the ground just with a handful of jersey and Kyler had to be thinking, whoa, so this is what this is going to be like. Then he waits for guys to get open, nobody does, and he gets sacked from behind as the most decorated offensive line in college football gets their ass handed to them by Bama's defensive front full of NFL players.

It's no wonder he turned around and turfed a ball he could normally hit in his sleep to Marquise Brown on the swing.

After really those three plays though, Kyler Murray settled down immediately and played his football. He really did.

People want to get on him about a couple of passes and I think they're just seeing the result and not seeing the plays conceptually.

He throws a deep ball to Marquise Brown who pulls up lame with a hamstring on the play, and of course it looks overthrown.

He fits a 50/50 ball in to the 6'5" and 254 lbs Carson Meier in the end zone, and it looks thrown behind him, because Deionte Thompson shoved Meier in the back and pushed him forward and to the ground, nearly picked off. It was aggressive, some may say a little reckless, but it was also nearly a winning play.

He throws high to CeeDee Lamb on a slant into the end zone, and nobody stops to think, why? Perhaps because two Bama defenders stood right in the passing lane, completely unoccupied, waiting for the 5'10" quarterback to try and drill a ball that would've been easily interceptable if it were thrown low where Lamb could've caught it? Ya think???

upload_2019-1-3_11-37-45-png.2519

Murray tried to get it over the defenders and it went high. He should've just checked off it and hit Calcaterra in the flat. Bama baited this, and Murray took the bait, but notice he STILL processed the situation quickly enough to make the last second adjustment on the ball to try and get it over these defenders.

There was another throw to Charleston Rambo on the sideline when Quinnen Williams tried to murder Kyler Murray, clearly a miscommunication, and to me it looked like the receiver freelancing to try and get open instead of going where the quarterback expected.

It's not as if Kyler Murray didn't have poor throws. Like I said, he turfed the ball to Marquise Brown on the swing. He could hit that one in his sleep. He threw high and outside to Brown on a comeback during an extended time situation, although it's tough to tell without the back view whether that was another passing lane situation. He threw inexcusably high to Grant Calcaterra over the middle and very nearly had it picked off.

But when he hits slot WR Myles Tease twice on the hands over the short middle, in very tight quarters, on 3rd and 4th down, you've got to catch those. When he hits Marquis Brown on the hands on 3rd & 6, which would've at worst set up a very makeable 4th & 1 near the goal line, you've got to catch that.

Other stuff he's just trying to throw guys open against the leverage of the defenders, and they either weren't finishing the play, or the Bama coverage was just too damned good. They're the best team in the country for a reason.

Last edited:
Lots and lots of talk about Murray choosing football/entering the draft. If that happens it's a total game changer for me. Trade whatever.

Isn’t Grier a prototype guy? I’m not getting my hopes up.

Back
Top Bottom