Ronnie vs. Caddy 2006 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie vs. Caddy 2006

Ronnie has 3.79 yards per carry, about 7.6 yards per catch
Caddy has 3.85 yards per carry, 5 yards per catch

Ronnie has the edge due to this catching (and probably blocking) responsibilities. They are nearly equal in rushing, Caddy just has less carries cause he sat out more plays.

Pocoloco said:
Ronnie has 3.79 yards per carry, about 7.6 yards per catch
Caddy has 3.85 yards per carry, 5 yards per catch

Ronnie has the edge due to this catching (and probably blocking) responsibilities. They are nearly equal in rushing, Caddy just has less carries cause he sat out more plays.

I just looked up those numbers and I'm seeing the below numbers. By the way, both Ronnie and Cadillac have both missed games due to injuries. Ronnie also had to split carries with Ricky last year.

For career so far:

Ronnie Brown: 4.2 yards per carry rushing and 7.4 yards per reception. He's had 314 carries so far in his career.

Cadillac Williams: 4.0 yards per carry rushing and 4.4 yards per reception. He's had 371 carries so far in his career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8417

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8420

vmarcilfan75 said:
i wonder what the people who consider him a "bust" have to say

Let's repeat this again. NO ONE that I can recall has labeled him a bust. The debate has always been (and continues to be) whether he's a pretty good back or an elite one.
Right now he's playing like a pretty good one. If his level of play does not improve over the next 2 yrs then I believe he is not performing up to his contract/draft position.
Kim Bokamper said it the other day. He stated that Ronnie Brown has done nothing this season to make him think he is a "special" player. I tend to agree with him. He makes yds when a hole is there, but he doesn't look like he has breakaway speed (despite his excellent 40 time at the combine) and he doesn't have that knack for making people miss or making something out of nothing.

Breed said:
Which begs the question.....

Does a RB have to have the ability to 'make something out of nothing' to be an elite back? The answer: Of course not, the only RB that I have ever seen to 'make something out of nothing' on a frequent basis was Barry Sanders. The OL can make or break a RB; I'm not sure any RB can have success behind that Arizona OL.

Actually, that is what distinguishes an elite back from a good back.
Eric Dickerson, Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen, Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton and Earl Campbell would likely take exception to your comments.

jlfin said:
Let's repeat this again. NO ONE that I can recall has labeled him a bust. The debate has always been (and continues to be) whether he's a pretty good back or an elite one.
Right now he's playing like a pretty good one. If his level of play does not improve over the next 2 yrs then I believe he is not performing up to his contract/draft position.
Kim Bokamper said it the other day. He stated that Ronnie Brown has done nothing this season to make him think he is a "special" player. I tend to agree with him. He makes yds when a hole is there, but he doesn't look like he has breakaway speed (despite his excellent 40 time at the combine) and he doesn't have that knack for making people miss or making something out of nothing.

I wonder if Kim Bokamper thinks Reggie Bush is a special player? Hmmm. In Ronnie's rookie year, his rushing numbers are better after 6 games and his yards per reception are pretty close to Reggie Bush's numbers after 6 games.

For some strange reason, people were calling Ronnie a bust last year around this time of the year. If that's the standard, then Reggie Bush is a bigger bust since he got $6 million more of guaranteed money in his $62 million contract than Ronnie did. They were both #2 overall picks in the draft.

After 6 games in their rookie years:

Ronnie Brown: 3.22 yards per carry rushing, 343 yards rushing, 6.53 yards per reception

Reggie Bush: 3.0 yards per carry rushing, 196 yards rushing, 7.5 yards per reception

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?statsId=7178&year=2005

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9588

DolphinsFan23 said:
I wonder if Kim Bokamper thinks Reggie Bush is a special player? Hmmm. In Ronnie's rookie year, his rushing numbers are better after 6 games and his yards per reception are pretty close to Reggie Bush's numbers after 6 games.

For some strange reason, people were calling Ronnie a bust last year around this time of the year. If that's the standard, then Reggie Bush is a bigger bust since he got $6 million more of guaranteed money in his $62 million contract than Ronnie did. They were both #2 overall picks in the draft.

Ronnie Brown: 3.22 yards per carry rushing, 343 yards rushing, 6.53 yards per reception

Reggie Bush: 3.0 yards per carry rushing, 196 yards rushing, 7.5 yards per reception

What does Reggie Bush have to do with this discussion. Before the draft I expressed come of my reservations about him. Many were comparing him to Gale Sayers. I compared him to Eric Metcalf. So far, I'm on the money.

jlfin said:
What does Reggie Bush have to do with this discussion. Before the draft I expressed come of my reservations about him. Many were comparing him to Gale Sayers. I compared him to Eric Metcalf. So far, I'm on the money.

What has Kim Bokamper said about Reggie Bush so far this year?

jlfin said:
Actually, that is what distinguishes an elite back from a good back.
Eric Dickerson, Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen, Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton and Earl Campbell would likely take exception to your comments.

You can make a case for Gale Sayers and OJ Simpson, but that's about it. Most (99%) running backs need holes to run through on a consistant basis.

Eric Dickerson was a great back, but he also ran behind some very good offensive lines. Dallas also had a pretty good OL......

Earl Campbell was a great power back; but where would he be with a well below average OL? How many big runs would he have if he was constantly cought in the backfield? It's a lot harder to get momentum going if you've only taken half a step and you have 3 defenders in your face.

Saban in '06 said:
Ronnie certainly isnt the best RB in the nfl, and he probably never will be, but he was still the best all around back in that draft, so I'm very happy with that pick!
Ronnie is a Top5 RB who gives you Top1 heart and soul in every play!

jlfin said:
You are being facetious? Cause I remember a good good handful of people calling him a bust all last year and all this year!

DolphinsFan23 said:

Ronnie was our No.1 RB for his first 4 games since Ricky was still unable to play. In New Orleans McAllister has 50% more carries than Reggie so far. I'm not saying that one of them is better than the other. Just putting your stats in the right light.

Eliot said:
Ronnie was our No.1 RB for his first 4 games since Ricky was still unable to play. In New Orleans McAllister has 50% more carries than Reggie so far. I'm not saying that one of them is better than the other. Just putting your stats in the right light.

I know these comparisons can get a little silly ... but .. if you look at the number of carries in the 1st 6 games of last year for Ronnie he had 18 more carries than Reggie Bush ... that's about 3 more carries per game for Ronnie. If I recall, Ronnie was sharing carries with Sammy Morris and the other backs just like Reggie was sharing carries with Deuce McAllister. Saban wasn't calling Ronnie a featured back back then as I recall.

DolphinsFan23 said:
I know these comparisons can get a little silly ... but .. if you look at the number of carries in the 1st 6 games of last year for Ronnie he had 18 more carries than Reggie Bush ... that's about 3 more carries per game for Ronnie. If I recall, Ronnie was sharing carries with Sammy Morris and the other backs just like Reggie was sharing carries with Deuce McAllister. Saban wasn't calling Ronnie a featured back back then as I recall.

True. I think I'm just getting tired of all those comparisons on this site. DC and Harrington, DC and his Backups in Minnie, Ronnie and Caddie. Sometimes people are just posting stats to back up their believes without realizing that there is more to the game.

Back
Top Bottom