Ronnie vs. Caddy 2006 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie vs. Caddy 2006

Frank Gore right now might be the best RB of that draft class as of right now.

Eliot said:
True. I think I'm just getting tired of all those comparisons on this site. DC and Harrington, DC and his Backups in Minnie, Ronnie and Caddie. Sometimes people are just posting stats to back up their believes without realizing that there is more to the game.

I still don't see why people were saying Ronnie is a bust and all that last year and sometimes this year. That's the main reason I put up stats. People may not realize that Ronnie really IS playing as good as a lot of the best backs in the NFL ... even with all our problems with the offensive line. He did pretty good last year for a rookie and the number of carries he got.

I think Dolphins fans might just be used to seeing slightly smaller, slightly quicker backs like Ricky as their tailbacks. In the NFL, there's advantages to having a "quick, speed back" like Reggie Bush and there's advantages with the "slightly slower, big power backs". The thing is with Ronnie, I think we have the best of BOTH worlds ... a power back with fairly good quickness, elusiveness and 4.40 speed.

jlfin said:
Let's repeat this again. NO ONE that I can recall has labeled him a bust. The debate has always been (and continues to be) whether he's a pretty good back or an elite one.
Right now he's playing like a pretty good one. If his level of play does not improve over the next 2 yrs then I believe he is not performing up to his contract/draft position.
Kim Bokamper said it the other day. He stated that Ronnie Brown has done nothing this season to make him think he is a "special" player. I tend to agree with him. He makes yds when a hole is there, but he doesn't look like he has breakaway speed (despite his excellent 40 time at the combine) and he doesn't have that knack for making people miss or making something out of nothing.

Your memory is fading.

DolphinsFan23 said:
I still don't see why people were saying Ronnie is a bust and all that last year and sometimes this year. That's the main reason I put up stats. People may not realize that Ronnie really IS playing as good as a lot of the best backs in the NFL ... even with all our problems with the offensive line. He did pretty good last year for a rookie and the number of carries he got.

I think Dolphins fans might just be used to seeing slightly smaller, slightly quicker backs like Ricky as their tailbacks. In the NFL, there's advantages to having a "quick, speed back" like Reggie Bush and there's advantages with the "slightly slower, big power backs". The thing is with Ronnie, I think we have the best of BOTH worlds ... a power back with fairly good quickness, elusiveness and 4.40 speed.

He is by no means a bust. But he has yet to show that he was worth the no.2 spot in the draft. As you said. He seems like the full package and i'm exited to see if he will be a good, top or elite back in this league.

Majpain said:
You forgot Frank Gore.
Actually, I didn't. No doubt Gore is tearing it up right now. But he was in no way, shape, or form a viable choice with the #2 overall pick. Benson, Brown, and Williams were the only names being mentioned. If Saban picked Gore, it would have been called the biggest "reach" in the history of the draft.

Also, would you rather have Aaron Rodgers instead of Ronnie? Because those were the only choices. Anybody who says they would have been happy with Saban picking anything other than a RB or a QB is crazy. Those two positions are key to any coach's success, and Saban was just beginning his career with the Fins.

Don't forget, Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round. There are always players in the later rounds who outperform the 1st rounders. That's why I don't understand this "reach" mentality.

In what can only be described as a disastrous season so far, I thought posting these stats might make everybody feel a little better. To this point in their careers, Saban clearly made the right choice with that #2 pick.

I'll update these stats as the season goes on.

Out of that draft I would still take Caddy and Frank Gore before I took Ronnie, however the best player in that draft was Braylon Edwards and I'm still pissed we passed on him.

Finole said:
Actually, I didn't. No doubt Gore is tearing it up right now. But he was in no way, shape, or form a viable choice with the #2 overall pick. Benson, Brown, and Williams were the only names being mentioned. If Saban picked Gore, it would have been called the biggest "reach" in the history of the draft.

Also, would you rather have Aaron Rodgers instead of Ronnie? Because those were the only choices. Anybody who says they would have been happy with Saban picking anything other than a RB or a QB is crazy. Those two positions are key to any coach's success, and Saban was just beginning his career the Fins.

Don't forget, Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round. There are always players in the later rounds who outperform the 1st rounders. That's why I don't understand this "reach" mentality.

In what can only be described as a disastrous season so far, I thought posting these stats might make everybody feel a little better. To this point in their careers, Saban clearly made the right choice with that #2 pick.

I'll update these stats as the season goes on.
Why would that make anyone feel better? Ronnie Brown may end up, and has looked like the biggest reach in the top 10 of 2005 so far. He could've easily been a 2nd rounder in a draft with real players in it. 2005 was one of the weakest drafts in the past 15 years.

Mr. Reality said:
If anyone comes into this post and uses the Bucs O-LINE as an excuse, they lose all credability.

LMAO!!!!!!! SO TRUE!!!!!!!!! :sidelol: :lol: :sidelol: :lol:

Dmancari23 said:
Why would that make anyone feel better? Ronnie Brown may end up, and has looked like the biggest reach in the top 10 of 2005 so far. He could've easily been a 2nd rounder in a draft with real players in it. 2005 was one of the weakest drafts in the past 15 years.

Please explain how Ronnie Brown was a bigger reach than...

Alex Smith, Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson, Carnell Williams, Pac Man Jones, Troy Williamson, Antrel Rolle, Carlos Rogers and Mike Williams. The top 10 selected in the '05 draft alone.

Breed said:
You can make a case for Gale Sayers and OJ Simpson, but that's about it. Most (99%) running backs need holes to run through on a consistant basis.

Eric Dickerson was a great back, but he also ran behind some very good offensive lines. Dallas also had a pretty good OL......

Earl Campbell was a great power back; but where would he be with a well below average OL? How many big runs would he have if he was constantly cought in the backfield? It's a lot harder to get momentum going if you've only taken half a step and you have 3 defenders in your face.

I don't know how old you are, but trust me Earl Campbell was the most dominant back I have ever seen. He was so much more than a "power back". He had deceptive speed and moves as well and he could completely take over a game. Dickerson in the early to mid 80's was the most feared back in the game and teams game planned to stop him. That is what is meant by an elite back. Walter Peyton early in his career played for one of the worst offenses in football, yet always put up solid numbers. He had quickness, acceleration and deceptive power for someone his size. You obviously never saw him play.
I wouldn't put Marcus Allen or Dorsett in the class of those 3 guys, but they made a lot of special things happen when they were on the field.

Dmancari23 said:
Why would that make anyone feel better?
You should feel a little bit better because Ronnie Brown has outdone Cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson, and Aaron Rodgers (and Braylon Edwards) to date.

Dmancari23 said:
Out of that draft I would still take Caddy and Frank Gore before I took Ronnie, however the best player in that draft was Braylon Edwards and I'm still pissed we passed on him.

Shawn Merriman was the guy I wanted. Jim Bates, on his departure, stated that the defense was where the attention needed to be focused. It is a lot harder to find an impact DE/OLB in the draft than it is to find a solid running back.

jlfin said:
Shawn Merriman was the guy I wanted. Jim Bates, on his departure, stated that the defense was where the attention needed to be focused. It is a lot harder to find an impact DE/OLB in the draft than it is to find a solid running back.

Merriman would have been an excellent choice. But when you already have Jason Taylor and Kevin Carter, and you need both a QB and a RB...

I know what position I would fill with my #2 overall pick.

Finole said:
Merriman would have been an excellent choice. But when you already have Jason Taylor and Kevin Carter, and you need both a QB and a RB...

I know what position I would fill with my #2 overall pick.

Yes, but you don't reach. Shula ruined his last draft by picking Billy Milner.
JT and Carter are older players and you have to figure that you will have them for 2-3 yrs maybe.
The team was not 1-2 players away from contending so you just need to load up on the players that you think are likely to make an impact at their respective position.

jlfin said:
Let's repeat this again. NO ONE that I can recall has labeled him a bust. The debate has always been (and continues to be) whether he's a pretty good back or an elite one.
Right now he's playing like a pretty good one. If his level of play does not improve over the next 2 yrs then I believe he is not performing up to his contract/draft position.
Kim Bokamper said it the other day. He stated that Ronnie Brown has done nothing this season to make him think he is a "special" player. I tend to agree with him. He makes yds when a hole is there, but he doesn't look like he has breakaway speed (despite his excellent 40 time at the combine) and he doesn't have that knack for making people miss or making something out of nothing.

:sidelol: Really?

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=159226

Back
Top Bottom