Rosen or Take QB with 1st Rd Pick, NOT BOTH | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rosen or Take QB with 1st Rd Pick, NOT BOTH

I am totally on board with you on this. Rosen may not have the ideal supporting cast around him now. But franchise QBs will show demonstrate who they are regardless of their supporting cast. Bert Jones, Archie Manning, Matthew Stafford and Aaron Rogers are examples of that. Fair or not. Rosen MUST prove that THIS season. Because it may be the last chance for the Dolphins to get a Franchise QB, and they cannot afford to blow this opportunity. That being said, I think Rosen is the real deal.

It's a good question, but I think Rosen is set up for failure here with the state of the offensive line etc. If he shows well, then the kid is talented.

If it were me and Rosen shows that he is the guy, then I would trade the first pick for a kings ransom. However, Rosen has to show a lot of upside. Damn near the second coming of Marino. No more Tannehill ****! I would need him to put up 4000 yards and 30 TDs in the next 14 games.
I don't see him throwing for 30 TDs with the state of this Offensive Line. But 22 TDs would do it for me as long as the Ints. are below 12 and the com. percentage is over 63%.

See again, is not smart to put so much stock on the stats to decide if you'll draft a QB or not. A lot could go into those stats. For example, with our defense we're going to be behind on the score often so we might throw a lot to try to catch up so the numbers could be higher just due to the fact we're throwing so much. Also, some of those numbers could come in garbage time when the score is out of hand.

On the other side, the numbers being down for Rosen might not be fair having to play behind a bad O-line, having no running game and Wilson being out. At this point we have Williams who is a rookie(tho I like him) Parker who's never been consistent, Grant who can't catch and Wilson who's hurt. Who is he going to throw it to? Gesicki?

Stats only tell part of the story. You have to watch the game to know if the QB is playing well or not and also, can he be the leader the team needs? This kid Minshew(SP?) might not be the most talent gifted but he seems like he's a gamer and a leader. Those are very important traits for a QB.

Yeah, but the hypothetical situation here is that Rosen would be playing like a franchise quarterback. Why not use those picks to either acquire more picks or just use the ones we have to get help in other areas of need? The QB position would be good in that scenario. I don’t think we’ll see that good of numbers behind this line for this scenario to unfold in the first place, so it’s wishful think anyway.

Using one pick on a QB will not hamstring our future potential as a team.

Losing draft picks to trade up for any position will hamstring us because it limits our opportunity for new players.

Using one existing 1st round pick on a QB is part of the normal team building process that we should expect to go through!

I am totally on board with you on this. Rosen may not have the ideal supporting cast around him now. But franchise QBs will show demonstrate who they are regardless of their supporting cast. Bert Jones, Archie Manning, Matthew Stafford and Aaron Rogers are examples of that. Fair or not. Rosen MUST prove that THIS season. Because it may be the last chance for the Dolphins to get a Franchise QB, and they cannot afford to blow this opportunity. That being said, I think Rosen is the real deal.
While I agree with your overall statement, none of those guys, with the exception of AR were "franchise" QBs. Stafford, for example has had a nice career in Detroit, but he's hardly a guy who has taken the team on his back, and willed them to great things.

Manning and Jones were hardly "carpa diem" guys either, at the NFL level. College maybe.

Using one pick on a QB will not hamstring our future potential as a team.

Losing draft picks to trade up for any position will hamstring us because it limits our opportunity for new players.

Using one existing 1st round pick on a QB is part of the normal team building process that we should expect to go through!
Agree, but we have the option of which rd1 pick to use, and I can see scenarios where at least a couple, if not several, options make sense.

While I agree with your overall statement, none of those guys, with the exception of AR were "franchise" QBs. Stafford, for example has had a nice career in Detroit, but he's hardly a guy who has taken the team on his back, and willed them to great things.

Manning and Jones were hardly "carpa diem" guys either, at the NFL level. College maybe.
Archie Manning was a 2 time All-Pro. Bert Jones was also 2 time All-Pro. He was also voted MVP and AFC Player Of The Year. Back then, you don't get those awards unless you are REALY GOOD.

Archie Manning was a 2 time All-Pro. Bert Jones was also 2 time All-Pro. He was also voted MVP and AFC Player Of The Year. You gotta know your history man.
Didn't say they were horrible. They did a lot with what they had to work with. A couple good years, does not a "franchise" QB make.

As far as knowing my history, though I was young at the time, I'm old enough to remember seeing them both play man. You?????

Edit: perhaps we just have a different definition of franchise QB.

I don’t get why people are crowning Rosen. Tannehill was more talented and with a slightly better offensive roster. Look how that worked out.

I think realistically right now, the evaluation of Rosen will not be whether he is a franchise QB, but a solid backup that Flores can trust to be serviceable if the need arise.

As of now Rosen's 1-to-2 TD/TO ratio along with a 10.6 sack%, 64.1 QB rating is historically bad. I get he has been dealt bad hands to play in both AZ and Miami, but his own play resembles to be more of the Frozen One than the Chosen One.

When I think of all the poor 1st round picks Miami has used over the years Tua would not be one of them.

Miami spent the #8 pick on Tannehill who likely had the most offensive talent around him in college football as a 5th year senior and was the 56 rated QB that year. Meanwhile Tua as a true sophomore after leading Alabama to a NC as a true freshman set the all-time single season college QB rating while playing against solid teams down the stretch playing with multiple leg injuries (right quad and knee, both ankles).

Now that he is healthy, focused on strength training and nutrition in the off season he looks phenomenal. Much better than Trevor Lawrence.

I don’t get why people are crowning Rosen. Tannehill was more talented and with a slightly better offensive roster. Look how that worked out.

I don't see it. RT was a tough competitor, and did everything in his power to win, without making excuses. For that, he has my respect, but there were fatal flaws in his game that limited his ultimate ceiling. Maybe Rosen turns out to be an irredeemable turmover machine, IDK, but he has way more pocket presence, and "touch" on his passes then 17 will ever have.

You have to draft Tua if you have the #1. Rosen can't prevent us from taking Tua there's no possible way he will show enough to keep us from drafting Tua

Any GM that trades a 1 and 3 for Rosen, after he could have been had for a 2nd, a year earlier on his rookie deal would be a dead man walking. That is pure speculative fantasy.

So you believe a NFL GM would pass on trading a 1st round pick for a very good NFL starting qb just because they made the mistake of not adding him a few years earlier at a lesser price? So why would a gm trade a 1st for someone like Garopollo when they could have drafted him at a lesser cost a few years earlier. Why would a gm pass on adding a good starting qb and roll with a subpar one just because they made the mistake of not trading for him when the price was lower? I'm not saying it's a forgone conclusion that Rosen is going to be very good q, just that if he did and the team thought Tua would be even better there would be a market for Rosen and if teams are convinced he's a good starting qb they'll give up a 1st and more to get him in my opinion.

So you believe a NFL GM would pass on trading a 1st round pick for a very good NFL starting qb just because they made the mistake of not adding him a few years earlier at a lesser price? So why would a gm trade a 1st for someone like Garopollo when they could have drafted him at a lesser cost a few years earlier. Why would a gm pass on adding a good starting qb and roll with a subpar one just because they made the mistake of not trading for him when the price was lower? I'm not saying it's a forgone conclusion that Rosen is going to be very good q, just that if he did and the team thought Tua would be even better there would be a market for Rosen and if teams are convinced he's a good starting qb they'll give up a 1st and more to get him in my opinion.
You may be right. I guess it really depends on the situation, whether the owner is 100% on board, etc.

I do think in the case of Garrapollo, being groomed by BB, and learning behind TB considerably enhanced his percieved value. Do you believe the same happens if Jimmy G was originally drafted by the Bemgals, or Lions?

Back
Top Bottom