Rosen or Take QB with 1st Rd Pick, NOT BOTH | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rosen or Take QB with 1st Rd Pick, NOT BOTH

Let’s give Rosen 7 years and blame the o-line while we pass on QB after QB in the draft. Trade for more picks and take more Charles Harris types. **** yeah!

The amount of faith on this forum in Rosen who hasn't done anything well in his entire career in the NFL thus far is mind boggling.

Have the standards really sunk that low or is it just massive delusion?
Entire career?

He was a rookie last year, and his line was slightly better than the one that will be in front of him tomorrow.

I keep seeing around the forum that even if Rosen plays well, you still draft QB with #1 pick just to make sure you have franchise QB. Have 2 bites at the apple they say.

I think this theory is wrong, if Rosen shows to Flores & staff that he can be a franchise QB for the team, YOU GO ALL IN ON ROSEN! Trade your first round draft pick for multiple 1sts and 2nds and build around Rosen through all those high picks. If Tua separates himself from his peers then you can really get big haul for team desperate for a QB (Bucs, Bengals, Titans, Raiders). Also when you draft QB with top 5 pick (most likely 1st pick) then there's no QB competition. You damn well know that QB going to start week 1 as he's going to make or break Chris Grier tenure as GM so you damn well know he'll want him starting ASAP!

If Rosen isn't good then of course go ahead and draft your QB and have Rosen as backup. I think you Dolphins fans will agree that the best situation is for Rosen to show he can be a franchise QB so you can trade #1 for massive haul. Like Imagine if Bucs land top 10 pick, Winston remains a bust and GM is in the hot seat and gets desperate and offers an RG3 haul for Tua who has potential to receive similar hype. Dolphins are already loaded with picks but then you add RG3 haul to your war chest. That right there can make the Dolphins become a DYNASTY!

Im enjoying this rebuild process as an outsider and also a fan of Rosen so def excited to see him against Cowboys and I'm telling everyone I know that I believe Rosen will be the Dolphins franchise QB.

Dolphins fans get excited! People maybe laughing at you now but that laughter will turn to envy when they see Flores, Grier & Rosen holding up the SB trophy!

It will probably be hard to make that definitive claim after this season, and he’s not as good of a prospect as Tua. BOTH is the answer. Let them compete. We have to get this right, so let Rosen compete with the number one drafted qB next year by us and see how it goes.

Keep Rosen. Build the TEAM around him for next season and if he doesn’t show enough the following season draft another Qb.

Agree, but we have the option of which rd1 pick to use, and I can see scenarios where at least a couple, if not several, options make sense.

Agreed.

If the Front Office feels a 2nd round draft pick for a QB will best fill our needs, then that's what we should do. I have no qualms about using one our 1st round draft picks in 2020.

I know that ever 2 or 3 years we may need to use our highest draft pick on a QB. If we get a better one than we have, lets keep him and let the finances determine if our previous QB stays or goes. The basic idea is to continuously replenish QB depth so that we are not behind the eight ball when disaster strikes.

This year has shown us in our first 2 games that a second or even a 3rd string QB is ever only one play away from getting on the field. I feel we have acquitted ourselves reasonably well with the players we had playing QB and depth. I also believe the ones being brought on board will prove to be just as important.

Why not have 2 starting caliber QBs? It keeps competition high and even with a stellar OL, a QB can get hurt and be done for a year pretty easily in the NFL today. Brees and Big Ben both have great OL, and both are going to be out must of the season

It will probably be hard to make that definitive claim after this season, and he’s not as good of a prospect as Tua. BOTH is the answer. Let them compete. We have to get this right, so let Rosen compete with the number one drafted qB next year by us and see how it goes.

O course! Why wouldn't you?

There’s literally no reason not to draft Tua. This fan base is stuck in the Wanny mindset of devaluing the QB. It’s stupid and it gives the rest of us who know better brain cancer.

Using one pick on a QB will not hamstring our future potential as a team.

Losing draft picks to trade up for any position will hamstring us because it limits our opportunity for new players.

Using one existing 1st round pick on a QB is part of the normal team building process that we should expect to go through!
But the hypothetical question here assumes that the QB we have plays very well. If he proves to be the answer (he probably won’t), go with it. As for trading, I’m talking about trading out of a pick and acquiring more picks.

Didn't say they were horrible. They did a lot with what they had to work with. A couple good years, does not a "franchise" QB make.

As far as knowing my history, though I was young at the time, I'm old enough to remember seeing them both play man. You?????

Edit: perhaps we just have a different definition of franchise QB.
I saw them both DURING those Pro-Bowl years. Anybody who saw Bert Jones between 1975 and 1978 KNOWS he was the best QB in the league, with the possible exception of Roger Staubach.
Let’s give Rosen 7 years and blame the o-line while we pass on QB after QB in the draft. Trade for more picks and take more Charles Harris types. **** yeah!
I think you misunderstand what the OP is saying. We want Josh Rosen to prove that he is the Franchise QB THIS year before we make a decision on drafting the next QB. So in other words, there will be NO QB COMPETITION in 2020. Either Rosen is our Franchise QB or he will be a 3 yr backup QB to Tua Tagovailoa.

Agreed.

If the Front Office feels a 2nd round draft pick for a QB will best fill our needs, then that's what we should do.

To me, it doesn't even need to be a 2nd round.

We likely have 3 rd1 picks, two of which are likely to be in the area of 13-18. If we trade out of the #1 overall, we would surely reap another rd1+++. There will be good QBs in the latter 2/3rds of rd1.

I'm not saying that's definitely the way to go, but depending on the "moving parts", it's not out of tge realm of possibility.

I have read that Grier and Flo value leadership, and intangibles such as character as highly as some other standard measurables, so who knows what direction they are going to go.

I would bet, though, that a lot of what we hear as we move toward the draft, will be a smoke screen. Flores is like BB in that respect. He doesn't tell anyone anything they don't need to know, amd obfuscation is the norm.

I saw them both DURING those Pro-Bowl years. Anybody who saw Bert Jones between 1975 and 1978 KNOWS he was the best QB in the league, with the possible exception of Roger Staubach.

I think you misunderstand what the OP is saying. We want Josh Rosen to prove that he is the Franchise QB THIS year before we make a decision on drafting the next QB. So in other words, there will be NO QB COMPETITION in 2020. Either Rosen is our Franchise QB or he will be a 3 yr backup QB to Tua Tagovailoa.
Ah gotcha. Ok I’m down w that. Let the kid play the rest of the games.

I don't understand how anyone can point to the Chargers situation as a good one to replicate. They had one of the best QBs of the decade on their roster, failed to identify him as such, and proceeded to pass up on the opportunity to surround him with a hall of fame receiver or tight end. To top it off they let him walk for nothing.

To me that's got to be one of the worst case scenarios. A top draft pick is worth so much and when you don't get good value from it the repercussions are being felt for the next decade.
Initially tho they didn't know, just like Rosen now. and they drafted a clear cut top QB and let them compete. Brees wasnt all-world initially. It was only when Brees wrecked his shoulder did they (incorrectly) assume he would probably amount to less than Rivers and that Brees then got a flame in him to prove the doubters wrong plus Payton had a lot to do with his rise to greatness. And WE didn't assess him well either. He came to Miami looking for a job and we let him walk to New Orleans.

Anyway, we will likely have Rosen and draft Tua. So theres nothing wrong with keeping both, developing both, in case one flames out.

The ONLY way you pass on Tua is if Rosen play's lights out for the majority of the games he plays in. If he plays well a couple a games here and there or plays well a couple of qtrs here and there I believe you still draft Tua.

It would be foolish to go all in on Rosen based on a couple of good games, also having 2 potentially good QB's is never a bad thing in the NFL. We've had QB's who have flashed and showed promise and we went all in for 7 years, let us not repeat history.
The question is, how well can Rosen play with the team he has?

The captain obvious point is....

A franchise lives or dies on the back of a QB. Soon as a top QB is out injured (like we see this season around the league) the top team struggles to pick up Ws and often miss the playoffs.

When you have an all-world QB, your franchise is bound for super bowl appearances, regular playoffs.

Even the Colts did well to hold onto Brissett just in case Luck broken down, and he not only did, but also abruptly retired.

Irrespective of Rosen's play in 2019, we HAVE TO draft the best QB available. And, theres nothing wrong with coming back in the 5th round and taking another one to develop (a la Minshew).

Positions like DT, DE, LB, OG, etc, are not going to make you a contender. You need to keep improving your roster, sure, but the foundation piece is QB.

Otherwise, you can copy the Ravens model, I guess. Identify and draft long term foundation pieces like Ogden, Lewis, Reed, build a culture of being a top D year after year.

Back
Top Bottom