Rosen or Take QB with 1st Rd Pick, NOT BOTH | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rosen or Take QB with 1st Rd Pick, NOT BOTH

It's amazing how many fans haven't learned the lesson over the past 20 years and are a glutton for punishment.

Let's get a QB with a good arm but doesn't display the intangibles on the field that will make him a top tier QB. But if we just surround him with enough pro bowl players then he'll be great.

Of course when Miami doesn't get results by rarely making the playoffs it will be the Dolphins need a new GM, HC, OC, better talent around him and on and on.

Meanwhile there is a QB that displays a great arm and has all the intangibles to be a top tier QB and some fans think nah, that doesn't work to just draft one, we should pass on that.
Nobody is saying "pass on that".

Some do question whether Tua is that guy, and it is a fair question.

Some would like to see Rosen be that guy, thereby allowing us to move down a bit, and still draft a QB. Not a ridiculous proposition either.

What's truly amazing is that after all the first round QB busts, they would crown Tua without at least some critical thinking, and keeping options open until after the season. When was the last time a great QB came out of Bama, and don't try to tell me it isn't at all relevant.

If Rosen plays well enough to consider him a franchise quarterback behind this line, then the Dolphins won’t be in a position to draft Tua. Unless Pittsburgh’s or the Texans’ pick gets them there.
We have 3, 1st round picks in 2020. I suspect if we could use one to get a good potential QB we will do it. Why wouldn't we?

I disagree.

You can't have too much of a good thing!
True, but at what cost?

To take it to an extreme, what good does it do to have 5 all world QBs, if you don't have a team around him?

In this particular case, Grier has masterfully amassed such a cash of draft ammunition, and cap space, that, assuming he does a decent job (I know, big IF), he can do whatever he thinks is best without much trade off.

He can draft a QB 1st overall.

He can move down, and still get a good prospect, as he may like someone other than Tua.

He can roll with Rosen next year and, with some planning, still have the draft capital to take a top 2020 QB.

There are many ways to go here, and a lot of it is going to depend on how Flores/Grier see Rosen at the end of the season.

Having options is never a bad thing either.

After drowning in mediocrity since Dan, give me the problem of two Franchise QBs on my roster ANY DAY.

Oh the misery!

True, but at what cost?

To take it to an extreme, what good does it do to have 5 all world QBs, if you don't have a team around him?

In this particular case, Grier has masterfully amassed such a cash of draft ammunition, and cap space, that, assuming he does a decent job (I know, big IF), he can do whatever he thinks is best without much trade off.

He can draft a QB 1st overall.

He can move down, and still get a good prospect, as he may like someone other than Tua.

He can roll with Rosen next year and, with some planning, still have the draft capital to take a top 2020 QB.

There are many ways to go here, and a lot of it is going to depend on how Flores/Grier see Rosen at the end of the season.

Having options is never a bad thing either.

1) The cost is a potential to have two good QB's that would demand a lot of money. The solution is to keep one, trade the other for a depth player and at the same time increase our draft capital, and then draft another QB. Don't forget, that 3rd string QB you have could get better during this same time.

2) At this point in time the team is so depleted in talent that moving up for an earlier pick to get someone "special" would be like getting extra icing on a cake; except we don't have a cake yet, just a wet pile of crumbs with limited structure capabilities.

3) There are many possibilities and the best use of those possibilities is to build the entire team without reducing our draft picks.

That's my opinion and I haven't seen any reason to change it based on the posts I've read in this thread.

We have 3, 1st round picks in 2020. I suspect if we could use one to get a good potential QB we will do it. Why wouldn't we?
Yeah, but the hypothetical situation here is that Rosen would be playing like a franchise quarterback. Why not use those picks to either acquire more picks or just use the ones we have to get help in other areas of need? The QB position would be good in that scenario. I don’t think we’ll see that good of numbers behind this line for this scenario to unfold in the first place, so it’s wishful think anyway.

We need to see what we have in Rosen before worrying about which QB and/or where in the draft order we add another one. We don't know if Tua will enter the draft, or if he'll starting playing poorly, or if he gets injured. We don't know if Fromm and/or Hebert will take a giant leap forward. Way too many variables to be set on a specific path, at this point. While tanking for Tua seems to be the direction we've set, the either/or thing simply isn't answerable right now.

1) The cost is a potential to have two good QB's that would demand a lot of money. The solution is to keep one, trade the other for a depth player and at the same time increase our draft capital, and then draft another QB. Don't forget, that 3rd string QB you have could get better during this same time.

2) At this point in time the team is so depleted in talent that moving up for an earlier pick to get someone "special" would be like getting extra icing on a cake; except we don't have a cake yet, just a wet pile of crumbs with limited structure capabilities.

3) There are many possibilities and the best use of those possibilities is to build the entire team without reducing our draft picks.

That's my opinion and I haven't seen any reason to change it based on the posts I've read in this thread.
I wasn't, in any way, suggesting moving up. My thinking was more along the lines that there are more than one or two guys that have the potential to be franchise changing type QBs. I think that is true moreso in the 2020 draft, so it's not like putting all your eggs in one basket, if passing on Tua nets us substantial picks going forward. I don't want to package our existing picks to move up at all, but if we are able to add more high picks, at some point it makes sense to start looking at that possibility.

For example, if we can get multiple first round picks for our first overall, I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, If (I know, another big if) the staff feels Rosen has shown enough to warrant that move.

Easy... Keep Rosen. He made 2 PERFECT TD throws against NE. Just dropped. Tua will be a bust. As a Patriots fan, I'd love to see the fish blow it as usual. However, Flores has jettisoned the top talent and gotten a haul of picks. Fleeced Houston! I don't understand why you are all upset about the rebuild.
Dolphins fans for the most part on FH have literally no clue what Flores and Grier are trying to do. Flores is the first coach from the Patriots who has become HC who truly grew up in the Pats system. And if you are a Pats fan for more than 20 years you do remember that painful 5-11 season Belichick had in his first year.

The possibility of getting a QB like Tua is too good to pass up. If you have the #1 pick you select him

keep Rosen
draft Tua
2021 draft Lawrence
brees/rivers situation at chargers

yes? no?

I don't understand how anyone can point to the Chargers situation as a good one to replicate. They had one of the best QBs of the decade on their roster, failed to identify him as such, and proceeded to pass up on the opportunity to surround him with a hall of fame receiver or tight end. To top it off they let him walk for nothing.

To me that's got to be one of the worst case scenarios. A top draft pick is worth so much and when you don't get good value from it the repercussions are being felt for the next decade.

I keep seeing around the forum that even if Rosen plays well, you still draft QB with #1 pick just to make sure you have franchise QB. Have 2 bites at the apple they say.

I think this theory is wrong, if Rosen shows to Flores & staff that he can be a franchise QB for the team, YOU GO ALL IN ON ROSEN! Trade your first round draft pick for multiple 1sts and 2nds and build around Rosen through all those high picks. If Tua separates himself from his peers then you can really get big haul for team desperate for a QB (Bucs, Bengals, Titans, Raiders). Also when you draft QB with top 5 pick (most likely 1st pick) then there's no QB competition. You damn well know that QB going to start week 1 as he's going to make or break Chris Grier tenure as GM so you damn well know he'll want him starting ASAP!

If Rosen isn't good then of course go ahead and draft your QB and have Rosen as backup. I think you Dolphins fans will agree that the best situation is for Rosen to show he can be a franchise QB so you can trade #1 for massive haul. Like Imagine if Bucs land top 10 pick, Winston remains a bust and GM is in the hot seat and gets desperate and offers an RG3 haul for Tua who has potential to receive similar hype. Dolphins are already loaded with picks but then you add RG3 haul to your war chest. That right there can make the Dolphins become a DYNASTY!

Im enjoying this rebuild process as an outsider and also a fan of Rosen so def excited to see him against Cowboys and I'm telling everyone I know that I believe Rosen will be the Dolphins franchise QB.

Dolphins fans get excited! People maybe laughing at you now but that laughter will turn to envy when they see Flores, Grier & Rosen holding up the SB trophy!

Daily log-

It has been 7129 days since the retirement of the Great Dan Marino. In this wasteland of QBs, I have endured watching really bad QBs to barely mediocre QBs, but the question remains, will I get to watch greatness again? The Oracles have given me hope with the potential to add the one they call Tua, but there seems a faction, within the community to keep moving forward with mediocre QB play. It has been a long time to endure, and I feel many have started to lose touch with reality. I can hear the screams in the night "What if Rosen..." and they move in closer and closer and get louder and louder. I hope to endure, I hope....

Back
Top Bottom