Round 1, Pick 18: Austin Jackson, OT | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Round 1, Pick 18: Austin Jackson, OT

He is a 20 year old, natural LT, with 2 years of starting college experience. I like the pick. With the top 4 OT off the board all of the remaining prospects have flaws. I don’t mind taking a risk on players whose flaws coincide with their age.

What else do you know?
OK, you guys are warming me up to him. Even though it's typical "hey, he hasn't played yet and he's young so he might just rock this sport" kind of talk but yes, I'll certainly root for him to grow into the OL. He should get some time to do that. On our board, Jackson had to be right there behind those four other OTs and we didn't want to lose him.

What else do I know? Well, I'm pretty sure we're not that big on the Alabama safety Xavier McKinney even with it being an area of need. We had three shots at him and even down at 30, we passed. I have to assume we like our safeties to carry a little more weight and maybe be a tad taller? Perhaps? I honestly thought the pick at 18 would be him or the DE Chaisson, who the Jags took two players later. Oh, well! I think we get an RB tonight and another OL too. Tough to tell right at the 7th pick in round 2 where our priority is for our board though so maybe those positions get picked later on. Guess that's why we watch, eh?

hate it. Typical Grier being he awful drafter that he is. By the time Jackson gets good, IF he gets good, the damage will have been done. Meaning, Tua needs that protection Day 1 not in year 3. He won't make it to year three at this rate.

hate it. Typical Grier being he awful drafter that he is. By the time Jackson gets good, IF he gets good, the damage will have been done. Meaning, Tua needs that protection Day 1 not in year 3. He won't make it to year three at this rate.

Bingo! Other than certain QB's, 1st round picks should be starters from day 1, not projects! Grier did the same thing when he drafted Charles Harris in the 1st round and how is that working out now? Harris has been a bust! Grier should have done anything he could to trade up with SF and select Wirfs. They had more ammo to move up than Tampa Bay. Instead he reaches bigtime and drafts Jackson who could have been possibly available in the 2nd round. The bottom line is Grier sucks at drafting. I loved the Tua pick but the other two 1st round picks ruined my night!

was praying dallas passed on cd but knew that was wishful thinking

I was wondering IF CeeDee had slipped to 18, would MIA have taken him?

As much as they desperately need OL help, I was sorta hoping CeeDee would be the pick once it appeared he may be available. Too good a talent to pass up on.

The only critique I can come up with so far is that it could be argued that they could have traded up from 18 to grab one of the perceived top 4 tackles or from 26 to get Ruiz. But I personally wasn't that high on any tackle other than Thomas who went 4th and Becton who went 13th.

All things considered, I'm not sure Jackson won't be as good or better than Becton and #4 wasn't reasonable to trade up to unless it was for our QB.

So I'm ok with Jackson.

As for Ruiz, I think Grier and Flores were surprised he went where he did. Especially to the Saints, who drafted McCoy the previous year.

Not a fan of this pick. I like the player but not the value at 18. I think we could have waited to pick Jackson much later. Jackson also needs a lot of work, but he has a high ceiling. The good thing is that he doesn’t need to be good right now. We are still rebuilding and we can afford to pick developmental players now and give them a redshirt year. I’m sure the coaching staff did their research and thinks they can get good long term return here.

There are still a lot of quality OL still on the board. Miami May have loved this kid because he’s 20 years old with upside and is an extremely high character person. Donating his bone marrow for his little sister? Tua one of the only guys wearing a suit for his virtual draft? Respectful players, these are the types of people Flores wants in the mix.

Another thing on Jackson... he lost 25 lbs before the season due to the situation with his sister.

Of course he struggled early and never really was ready to go.

He's only going to get better.

Agree. To me, the areas where he needs work are correctable, and he has the youth and physical tools to pretty comfortably project growth. Outside of WR, all my Top 20 players were off the board, and Miami appears content to wait on or bypass WR. Running a 5.07 40 at 6'4 322 is absurd for a 20 y/o.

He has the basketball part, and the boxing feet. Just needs to bring the hands.

I really wanted Bechton or Jackson for our cornerstone Tackle.

I know that a lot of guys hate projects, but these are generally the guys with the sky high upside. When we missed on Bechton (as I figured we would by taking a QB), I think we totally scored with which Tackle we took.

Why did people want CeeDee? He only played two NFL level corners this year, LSU’s pair and Galaday from TCU. And he was shut down both games

It's amazing how many expert scouts are on this board. It's a good pick at a position of need. We wait til 26 he may be gone and we likely didn't have anyone ranked higher on our big board. Only other guy I could have seen at 18 was Chaisson. Ruiz getting scooped at 24 and Dallas jumping us for CeeDee are exactly why you take Jackson at 18.

Back
Top Bottom