Round 1, Pick 18: Austin Jackson, OT | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Round 1, Pick 18: Austin Jackson, OT

Gotta love this board.

"if CG takes Herbert he sucks"
*Takes Tua
"Yes, good move Chris!"
*Takes a 20 year old offensive tackle with upside
"WTF classic CG screwing up the draft. I could do a better job!"

I mean people would’ve complained if we had taken Anthony Munoz and Jim Brown at 18 and 30.

I swear they would’ve been like Anthony Munoz COME OOONNN left tackle and we need a RT you dummy Chris Grier because we have a left handed quarterback, What an idiot Chris Grier is.

And then they would’ve been like and Jim Brown only runs he can’t catch is not a complete back to complete in today’s NFL what a joke this front office should be fired immediately.

Some people just love to complain some people just want their favorite players picked, I was on Austin Jackson about four months ago thought he was super super athletic and everyone thinks he’s going to take 2 to 3 years I really think by the middle of the season he’ll catch a stride and end up being very good. He could just stand in there and fail his arms and would be better than the left tackle’s we had last year.

And the corner, Miami runs a ton of nickel and some dime. They need lots of defensive backs, And this is a guy who plays press cover man is physical, long arms, good instincts, very good tackler and is a 4 phase special-teams player. I do not understand why people **** on special teams it is 1/3 of the game and if you have an elite return guy or a play making return guy he can flip the field and change the game.

Better than Jones. Better than Cleveland.

Needed to trade up to get Wills - if you couldn't make that happen Jackson at #18 is the next best thing. Miami was forced to reach a little bit here to still get one of the top tackles. The potential for someone to trade up and take him before #26 was there. Give him time.

Better than Jones. Better than Cleveland.

Needed to trade up to get Wills - if you couldn't make that happen Jackson at #18 is the next best thing. Miami was forced to reach a little bit here to still get one of the top tackles. The potential for someone to trade up and take him before #26 was there. Give him time.
What do you think of cushenberry, Peart, and Hennessy?

I’m not going to lie and say I was thrilled about the pick, especially at 18. I felt like Jackson, Cleveland and Jones were all the tier 2 OT’s in this draft and he was probably my third favorite of the that group. Rumor has it we tried to trade up with SF to get Wirfs but they didn’t want to fall far enough to risk losing out on Kinlaw. That’s a shame because I really wanted Wirfs.
That being said, after having time to sleep on it I don’t hate the pick all things considered. Jackson offers a lot of similarities to Becton, who I also loved. He may not be as enormous but his size is nothing to sneeze at, nor is his natural athletic ability. He also seems like a very high character guy, which is important to this coaching staff. And his college tape shows him winning with strength and athleticism. I don’t know how his game translated to switching to RT, but I’m assuming he’s staying on the left side. With Fitz presumably starting this coming season I feel pretty comfortable with him taking his lumps as a rookie and seeing how he develops as the season goes on. I’m not going to write him off just because he wasn’t the guy I was hoping for. Hopefully he pans out better than I expected. Wouldn’t be the first.

Be bold and take some risk for the upside of greatness!

Seems to me Mister Grier was swinging for the fence on all R1 picks
taking some risk and OK with "developmental delay" coupled with
max upside!

Weird for a dude that has the rep of being "too safe" around here!

I'm in no position to assess/project how great athletics translate into
great players -- but I do know it's a good thing to have physical talent
and if that's coupled with the right mental profile and coaching/development
then you might realize that big upside!

3 R1 picks and no guarantees IMO! And by "guarantee" I'm talking about
a player like Derrick Brown. Of course there are very few of those guys
so most of the time the players you grab in R1 are the ones with the most
upside and hopefully highest probability of making an impact.

In this case I think the "impact" may be deferred... Time will tell.

One thing I like about him is that he is young. Same with Noah Igbinoghene. Both at 20 years old.

This is a developmental draft and both of these guys are young and toolsy. Need to trust in Flores and his staff to develop these types of players.

One thing I like about him is that he is young. Same with Noah Igbinoghene. Both at 20 years old.

This is a developmental draft and both of these guys are young and toolsy. Need to trust in Flores and his staff to develop these types of players.

But the problem is they shouldn't be drafting developmental players in the 1st round to begin with. They need to be drafting players who can come in and start day 1. The teams who draft well are the teams who draft players that come in right away and make an impact. The Dolphins have failed in that category for a long time.

But the problem is they shouldn't be drafting developmental players in the 1st round to begin with. They need to be drafting players who can come in and start day 1. The teams who draft well are the teams who draft players that come in right away and make an impact. The Dolphins have failed in that category for a long time.
Silly drafting strategy. You get an 80 rated player for 4 years instead of a 70 rated player for 1 and a 90 rated player for 3. We have no impetus to contend for anything this year so this is precisely the year you can handle taking high ceiling players that need some development.

Silly drafting strategy. You get an 80 rated player for 4 years instead of a 70 rated player for 1 and a 90 rated player for 3. We have no impetus to contend for anything this year so this is precisely the year you can handle taking high ceiling players that need some development.

That makes no sense. The idea of the draft is to get better players that can help right away, not players that might take a couple of years to develop. You save those types of players for the late rounds, not round 1.

Back
Top Bottom