Running and defense wins championships | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

They didn't even necessarily need to lean on his arm though. There were back to back drives, before KC took the lead where SF ran the ball on first down and ended up in 2nd and 5 then decided top pass 2 straight times and ended up punting. If I'm getting 5 yards a pop I keep doing it. At least run on 2nd down and bleed the clock. SF was consistently running into 8 and 9 man fronts and winning. Shanny out smarted himself.

Right. I agree completely about that. Play calling was questionable.

However, Jimmy G got the ball down 4 with 3 minutes left, regardless of any previous circumstances. He did not deliver. Mahomes was down 10 with 8 minutes to go and put 21 points on the board against the best defense in the NFL. Elite QB play was the difference.

However, Jimmy G got the ball down 4 with 3 minutes left, regardless of any previous circumstances. He did not deliver. Mahomes was down 10 with 8 minutes to go and put 21 points on the board against the best defense in the NFL. Elite QB play was the difference.
To be fair, he put up 14 points against the best defense in the NFL. Damian Williams put up the other 7.

They didn't even necessarily need to lean on his arm though. There were back to back drives, before KC took the lead where SF ran the ball on first down and ended up in 2nd and 5 then decided top pass 2 straight times and ended up punting. If I'm getting 5 yards a pop I keep doing it. At least run on 2nd down and bleed the clock. SF was consistently running into 8 and 9 man fronts and winning. Shanny out smarted himself.
I don’t know the last time I’ve seen a team puss out w 1:45 and 3 time outs and be content to be tied. Odd.

Mahomes played well down the stretch after playing poorly for much of the game. Were there any other players involved in the last 8 minutes of the comeback? Anyone make nice blocks, good routes to get wide open, good runs to cement the game, critical stops to get KC's offense the ball back?

Mahomes played well down the stretch after playing poorly for much of the game. Were there any other players involved in the last 8 minutes of the comeback? Anyone make nice blocks, good routes to get wide open, good runs to cement the game, critical stops to get KC's offense the ball back?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Elite QB play AND a good D

Didn't the Patriots do this against us in week 17? Against our defense with Tom Brady that has to be the definition of pussing out.
This year? I don’t recall that and indeed would have been odd.

I don’t get Shanmy’s explanation that he didn’t want the ball to go back to Mahomes. Up to that point your D was handling him and he was largely ineffective. Go try and score some points. You were moving it well. And the players must hate that - telling them you’re “scared”of the other guys. IDK - I didn’t like it. I didn’t get it. The object of the game is to score more points than the other team.

This year? I don’t recall that and indeed would have been odd.

I don’t get Shanmy’s explanation that he didn’t want the ball to go back to Mahomes. Up to that point your D was handling him and he was largely ineffective. Go try and score some points. You were moving it well. And the players must hate that - telling them you’re “scared”of the other guys. IDK - I didn’t like it. I didn’t get it. The object of the game is to score more points than the other team.

It was 57 seconds with 3 timeouts so not as extreme but still pussing out. I know the NE media was going nuts over that sequence (I live here :=)).

49ers simply needed to be more aggresive. They lost the game when they decided 10-10 at the half was a favorable situation for them. Delusional...

Great point!

Andy Reid after the game: "Yea, we prob would have gone for it on 4th down if Damien's TD didn't count. There is no tomorrow in this game".
In comparison - Kyle Shanahan after the game, who had one of the best defenses in NFL this year:
"...They had 3 timeouts left. We didn't want to risk giving them the ball back..."

Seems Andy wanted to win more and Shanahan was risk-averse.

Back
Top Bottom