Running and defense wins championships | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

Running game and defense doesn't guarantee you anything either. Top quarterbacks win championships nowdays. At the very least, they keep you afloat and competing for championships through the multiple rebuilds and retools your team will go through in a decade. Defenses and running games are fickle by year. You're going to have to beat those elite quarterbacks in the playoffs, and you can't do it by hiding yours.

Nobody should know this better than the Dolphins - who missed the playoffs in 2002 with the league's leading rusher and the #4 defense in the league that contained both the league's leading sackers - because they didn't have a quarterback.

Miami doesn't have a front office or talent evaluators strong enough to rely on that method of building a team anyway. Their only shot is to hit big on an elite talent at quarterback that can hopefully provide enough of a window to catch lightning in a bottle a few times along the way and compete for a superbowl. The owner finally figured this out through trial and error - which is why Miami has set on the current path.

Last edited:
Running game and defense doesn't guarantee you anything either. Top quarterbacks win championships nowdays. At the very least, they keep you afloat and competing for championships through the multiple rebuilds and retools your team will go through in a decade. Defenses and running games are fickle by year. You're going to have to beat those elite quarterbacks in the playoffs, and you can't do it by hiding yours.

Nobody should know this better than the Dolphins - who missed the playoffs in 2002 with the league's leading rusher and the #4 defense in the league that contained both the league's leading sackers - because they didn't have a quarterback.

Miami doesn't have a front office or talent evaluators strong enough to rely on that method of building a team anyway. Their only shot is to hit big on an elite talent at quarterback that can hopefully provide enough of a window to catch lightning in a bottle a few times along the way and compete for a superbowl. The owner finally figured this out through trial and error - which is why Miami has set on the current path.
Yup, but when you got that QB a lot of pressure gets heaped onto the GM to surround him with legitimate talent and if they don't, you just get someone better, and that someone better is usually the best guy available because he's already got the QB to work with. People would be lining up for all sorts of jobs if we had that guy.

Yup, but when you got that QB a lot of pressure gets heaped onto the GM to surround him with legitimate talent and if they don't, you just get someone better, and that someone better is usually the best guy available because he's already got the QB to work with. People would be lining up for all sorts of jobs if we had that guy.

Pretty much this..

But Miami is going to build around Rosen! Lmaoo

enjoying the people trying to value-discount mahomes and elite qb play winning this chip

The most amazing thing about that chart is that it shows how Blount, at most a footnote in the history of NFL running backs, was the Super Bowl’s leading rusher 30% of the time in the last decade.
I only remember him for hitting that Boise State player...

That's an insane list.

But Damien Williams was a beast last night, an absolute monster. The guy wouldn't go down. I think the refs blew the whistle on him like three times standing up because SF couldn't get him down. Sure, he got the bulk of his yards on the last run but you can't discount the yards simply because it was late in the game and SF already looked defeated.

A good Running game and defense are comprised of so many components to keep that machine working very few teams can make it work year in and year out is the main problem. Then you obviously run into the problem where your run game will inevitably be shut down by some type of playoff defense and in that case when you have to rely on your QB to win it is when your in trouble.

If there wasn't a Mahomes around i'd say in the next few years a team with a good run game could win championships and football would start going back to old school where dominant defenses, Running games are the key to winning.. After Brady,Brees,Rivers,Big Ben, Rodgers and the like retire there is going to be a big drop-off in talented QB's but in that place Mahomes is like the frankenstein of all these QB's possibly the best of them all..

A good Running game and defense are comprised of so many components to keep that machine working very few teams can make it work year in and year out is the main problem. Then you obviously run into the problem where your run game will inevitably be shut down by some type of playoff defense and in that case when you have to rely on your QB to win it is when your in trouble.

If there wasn't a Mahomes around i'd say in the next few years a team with a good run game could win championships and football would start going back to old school where dominant defenses, Running games are the key to winning.. After Brady,Brees,Rivers,Big Ben, Rodgers and the like retire there is going to be a big drop-off in talented QB's but in that place Mahomes is like the frankenstein of all these QB's possibly the best of them all..

I'd like a clear consensus definition of a 'passing' team. Not pass attempts - losing teams HAVE to pass more. Passing yards? Marino was a leader in pass yards, but that didn't translate to championship games. Run and shoot wasn't too successful. NBP uses YPA which is compelling, but I'm not sure there's a consensus. The (correct) buzz word seems to be 'balance.' Yes, the NFL is a passing league, but there seems to be different definitions of passing team

I'd like a clear consensus definition of a 'passing' team. Not pass attempts - losing teams HAVE to pass more. Passing yards? Marino was a leader in pass yards, but that didn't translate to championship games. Run and shoot wasn't too successful. NBP uses YPA which is compelling, but I'm not sure there's a consensus. The (correct) buzz word seems to be 'balance.' Yes, the NFL is a passing league, but there seems to be different definitions of passing team
Usually you'll get a glimpse of who is who on a situationnal basis... 1st and 10 run/pass ratio on its own is pretty indicative of teams overall strategy for example. Nevertheless, your buzzword is the actual important factor here. I dont know that I want a pass first team or a run first team, I want the team that nails down the right frequencies in most situations. I would flat out have no problem with my team running 80% of the time on 2nd and 3 just as I would have no problem with my team throwing the ball 80% of the time on 2nd and 7+...

There's a lot of work to be done in that area, while I have no idea if those numbers are correct, I'd rather use that strategy on 2nd down than just go 60/40 pass/rush. Balance is much more complicated than most people think, at least in a game theory setting...

Usually you'll get a glimpse of who is who on a situationnal basis... 1st and 10 run/pass ratio on its own is pretty indicative of teams overall strategy for example. Nevertheless, your buzzword is the actual important factor here. I dont know that I want a pass first team or a run first team, I want the team that nails down the right frequencies in most situations. I would flat out have no problem with my team running 80% of the time on 2nd and 3 just as I would have no problem with my team throwing the ball 80% of the time on 2nd and 7+...

There's a lot of work to be done in that area, while I have no idea if those numbers are correct, I'd rather use that strategy on 2nd down than just go 60/40 pass/rush. Balance is much more complicated than most people think, at least in a game theory setting...

Precisely. Balance across a team is key. A D, by itself, can't win championships, but we know a team with a bottom third D can't win either. Same with run vs pass. Once the D recognizes overwhelming tendencies, the O is in a hole. The OCs seen as most successful became that way by having balance that hides tendencies.

Back
Top Bottom