Saints Safety Kenny Vaccaro Visiting | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saints Safety Kenny Vaccaro Visiting

I hate this take.

Derwin James is far from “another SS” he can line up just about anywhere on the field besides CB and make an impact.

He’s the ultimate chess piece that will be an ALLPro very quickly.
He's a very good player but a center field guy he's not. A true FS would have more turnovers in college. He had ONE single INT in college. That doesn't make him a bad player so please don't get me wrong. But he's a box and on your face type of player. He's not an Earl Thomas type of player but hey, that's just my opinion

It would all depend on the personnel of course, but I would imagine if they trot out a 3wr set on early downs, Vaccaro would be the FS, with TJ as the nickel LB and Jones at SS, with Mccain as the slot. But if it's a 2wr set or 2 TE set thats where this signing could really mix it up, with all three safeties that could play in the box doing a bunch of mixed coverages, and blitzes. We technically could play Dime and still defend the run decently with an SS as the 4th db

Still wouldnt take FS off the board but would be a good signing

I don't think the Dolphins are particularly interested in Vaccaro playing like a free safety or maybe even playing safety at all. I think they like him as a slot defender. The Saints finally started to be happy with him in 2017 when they moved him closer to the line of scrimmage and had him covering wide receivers from the slot. His run defense was still fantastic from there, which is something he has over a Bobby McCain I think, but he also played coverage passably well from the slot. And there are some indications he was especially effective in the red zone.

I think it's going to come down to the packaging and matchups. Miami didn't necessarily have Bobby McCain out there in the slot every single time a slot CB was required. They had Michael Thomas out there as well. Vaccaro would probably be viewed as either a replacement for Michael Thomas (whom they've always shown discomfort playing actual safety), or maybe even Alterraun Verner.

I hate this take.

Derwin James is far from “another SS” he can line up just about anywhere on the field besides CB and make an impact.

He’s the ultimate chess piece that will be an ALLPro very quickly.

Agree. I don't get that take. Derwin James has some fantastic tape at deep safety.

He's a very good player but a center field guy he's not. A true FS would have more turnovers in college. He had ONE single INT in college. That doesn't make him a bad player so please don't get me wrong. But he's a box and on your face type of player. He's not an Earl Thomas type of player but hey, that's just my opinion

Um, he actually has 3 interceptions, but OK.

He played deep center and made some damn good plays that way at FSU.

Would be a good addition to the team if cheap...

I watch the Saints a lot and Vaccarro is a decent strong safety, but he sucks in coverage despite his ability to create turnovers. He blows a ton of assignments and got chewed up by Sean Payton several times. He looked a lot better once paired with Marcus Williams. Lattimore saved his ass quite a bit last season. How would he fit in here? We already have two strong safeties. We already experimented with a strong safety at free safety, and Adam Gase himself told us how that worked out.

I don't get this FO at all. I don't understand their direction. If you want the missing piece in the secondary, it's either Fitzpatrick/James at 11, Reid at 42, or Bates III at 73. There are no longer options remaining in FA that would be an upgrade over T.J. -- even though T.J. himself is a below average player when forced to play out of position.

Back
Top Bottom