Saints Safety Kenny Vaccaro Visiting | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saints Safety Kenny Vaccaro Visiting

Kenny Vaccaro - DB - Free Agent
The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports the Dolphins could extend a one-year "prove it" offer to free agent S Kenny Vaccaro.

Despite his lack of visits, Vaccaro remains a solid player who can help out both in the box and against tight ends. His presence would also likely push S T.J. McDonald to linebacker as the team has shown interest in moving him there. Vaccaro is still only 27 and underwent core muscle surgery in December.

Wouldn't mind them signing Vaccaro to a one year prove it deal. Have McDonald play hybrid S/LB and draft a real FS. Team definitely needs more depth at safety and more overall speed on defense.

Yes, but he wasnt a free agent was he? We already had him under contract for the full season at a low price, that is very different than when you take a risk by offering a free agent (which we are also awful at) a contract. We made a very similar dumb move with Kiko aswell, he got an extension for no reason and now we are also stuck with him for an extra year.

I think our need for a FS and the impact that had on the team is anything but absurd. We should ideally be taking one in the first round in a few weeks, but our linebackers are somehow even worse so that probably wont happen.

Let's not compare the Alonso deal. He will be severely overpaid this year but also cut after 2018. That is another issue.

TJ will make $2.5 million this year under the extension. Even if he's not a full time player in the secondary, that's ok. They can get out of it after this year at minimal pain if it doesn't work out, with a Post June 1 designation. My point is having him on the team does not preclude them from getting another player that could potentially play starters reps at the more traditional high safety spot.

If James or Fitzpatrick fall to Miami at #11, that would be the time to forget 'need' and just draft the best player.

Let's not compare the Alonso deal. He will be severely overpaid this year but also cut after 2018. That is another issue.

TJ will make $2.5 million this year under the extension. Even if he's not a full time player in the secondary, that's ok. They can get out of it after this year at minimal pain if it doesn't work out, with a Post June 1 designation. My point is having him on the team does not preclude them from getting another player that could potentially play starters reps at the more traditional high safety spot.

If James or Fitzpatrick fall to Miami at #11, that would be the time to forget 'need' and just draft the best player.
and James is yet another SS

So we bring in another Safety for depth big deal, on top of that he is young and a first round pick. If he plays at a reasonable price what's the harm? Nothing wrong in being proactive in case of injury to our starters, it's really not a big deal.

Vaccaro also played a lot of strong safety, some free safety and a pseudo-linebacker role over the years. He’s a hard hitter, effective blitzer and solid in run defense or coverage versus tight ends. But he also struggled with missed assignments on occasion, particularly in deep coverage.

Rap Sheet is showing how these leaks work here. Calling him a "top-flight defender" is a nice little touch for Vaccaro's agent.

Look, aside from Jones our S situation sucks but we have so many other issues that need to be sorted in the draft (well, if we are realistic the new gm will probably have to sort them in next years) so I can understand this move.

We need to find a starting FS to replace McDonald, but with so many other needs I don't see us leaving the draft with a quality FS. Vaccaro (if cheap) could be a decent pickup... I really hate the McDonald extension

It would depend on how the board fell for me if i would target a FS or not - but i do agree, with all the needs we do have and the high value some of those positions carry, it might be tough to prioritize one.

If Minkah falls, i'm running the card up and using him as a FS and CB, depending on the team. Another guy i really like is Jessie Bates. I'm not sure where he is slotted at the moment.

I don't see Derwin as a FS, so he doesn't qualify in my book.

He can play nickel db as well so that helps if we want to play a more big nickel package on potential run downs

Nailed it.

He can impact two of Miami's four weakest areas from 2017. He has the potential to elevate the run defense out of Nickel personnel (ex-obvious passing situations), and to elevate our total touchdown allowance out of the red zone.

Coincidentally (or not), Terence Garvin has the potential to impact the other two weaknesses. He has the potential to elevate our pass defense out of Base personnel, and to elevate our pass defense on 3rd and non-short (obvious passing situations).

The flip side to all this, is that Kenny Vaccaro as a slot defender in Nickel could spring open a new weakness in PASS defense out of Nickel (ex-obvious passing situations), and/or his presence could have virtually no impact or even a negative impact on the total red zone defense. That's why Vaccaro will be a low money acquisition, and will have to fight for his job.

Similarly, Terence Garvin could spring open a new leak in the RUN defense out of Base personnel, and/or could have minimal impact on the 3rd down defense. Hence he's a low money guy and will have to fight for everything he gets.

I don't think either guy impacts draft strategy too much. Acquiring them is like making sure you have a backstop, since you have no idea how draft weekend will play out.

It would depend on how the board fell for me if i would target a FS or not - but i do agree, with all the needs we do have and the high value some of those positions carry, it might be tough to prioritize one.

If Minkah falls, i'm running the card up and using him as a FS and CB, depending on the team. Another guy i really like is Jessie Bates. I'm not sure where he is slotted at the moment.

I don't see Derwin as a FS, so he doesn't qualify in my book.

No question, Fitzpatrick and Nelson are the two best possible prospects we could land in this draft. Both seem like long shots but crazier things have happened. We just need one or two out of whack things to happen in the top 10 and everything could be thrown for a loop.

I am as biased towards Alabama defenders as anyone, this kid is special. Not only a game changer but a possible entire defense changer.

Why is it that some CBs can play different roles, some WRs can play different roles, some LBs can play different roles, etc so some flexibility in the team can be a good thing. However, our resident experts on FH declare that a Free Safety and a Strong Safety cannot interchange. Excuse my ignorance because I never played the game, but why is it so?

Nailed it.

He can impact two of Miami's four weakest areas from 2017. He has the potential to elevate the run defense out of Nickel personnel (ex-obvious passing situations), and to elevate our total touchdown allowance out of the red zone.

Coincidentally (or not), Terence Garvin has the potential to impact the other two weaknesses. He has the potential to elevate our pass defense out of Base personnel, and to elevate our pass defense on 3rd and non-short (obvious passing situations).

The flip side to all this, is that Kenny Vaccaro as a slot defender in Nickel could spring open a new weakness in PASS defense out of Nickel (ex-obvious passing situations), and/or his presence could have virtually no impact or even a negative impact on the total red zone defense. That's why Vaccaro will be a low money acquisition, and will have to fight for his job.

Similarly, Terence Garvin could spring open a new leak in the RUN defense out of Base personnel, and/or could have minimal impact on the 3rd down defense. Hence he's a low money guy and will have to fight for everything he gets.

I don't think either guy impacts draft strategy too much. Acquiring them is like making sure you have a backstop, since you have no idea how draft weekend will play out.

It would all depend on the personnel of course, but I would imagine if they trot out a 3wr set on early downs, Vaccaro would be the FS, with TJ as the nickel LB and Jones at SS, with Mccain as the slot. But if it's a 2wr set or 2 TE set thats where this signing could really mix it up, with all three safeties that could play in the box doing a bunch of mixed coverages, and blitzes. We technically could play Dime and still defend the run decently with an SS as the 4th db

Still wouldnt take FS off the board but would be a good signing

Last edited:
No question, Fitzpatrick and Nelson are the two best possible prospects we could land in this draft. Both seem like long shots but crazier things have happened. We just need one or two out of whack things to happen in the top 10 and everything could be thrown for a loop.

Isn't that almost every year?

For instance if we drafted Elliot or Reid for FS. We could have a "LB" unit of TJ, Raekwon, Vacarro. One true Mike to play the run, paired with speedy big hitters to cover the flats or mid zones, and still have speed and ballhawking ability over the top, with Jones roaming.

Couple that with Vea/Payne and we might just have something

Back
Top Bottom