Second Round Targets | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Second Round Targets

The Patriots have never had a bell cow back... they've always run with a committee, and Jordan Howard looks like half of a platoon to me. Drafting Swift just means Howard won't play as much... and while that wouldn't be a bad thing, I'm not sure that this would make us a better team.

Howard is 25 and healthy... So I can see a situation where we may pass on the RB run.

Top players left on my board:

WR

Tee Higgins

Denzel Mims
Bryan Edwards
Tyler Johnson
Donavan Peoples-Jones

RB

Jonathan Taylor
JK Dobbins
Cam Akers
D'Andre Swift
AJ Dillon

OT

Ezra Cleveland

Matt Peart
Josh Jones
Lucas Niang
Jack Driscoll

C

Lloyd Cushenberry
Matt Hennessy

OG

John Simpson
Damien Lewis

DT

Jordan Elliott

Edge

Curtis Weaver
Julian Okwara

LB

Malik Harrison

CB

Kristian Fulton

S

Antoine Winfield Jr
Grant Delpit

At 39, I'd narrow it to the WR's, Cleveland, and the Safeties. All other players listed are in play at 56. To be clear, I think Miami can get Edwards and Tyler Johnson later, so I'm not advocating they pick either at 39 - just that they're both good enough to draft that early (copy/pasted from other Day 2 thread).

Top players left on my board:

WR

Tee Higgins

Denzel Mims
Bryan Edwards
Tyler Johnson
Donavan Peoples-Jones

RB

Jonathan Taylor
JK Dobbins
Cam Akers
D'Andre Swift
AJ Dillon

OT

Ezra Cleveland

Matt Peart
Josh Jones
Lucas Niang
Jack Driscoll

C

Lloyd Cushenberry
Matt Hennessy

OG

John Simpson
Damien Lewis

DT

Jordan Elliott

Edge

Curtis Weaver
Julian Okwara

LB

Malik Harrison

CB

Kristian Fulton

S

Antoine Winfield Jr
Grant Delpit

At 39, I'd narrow it to the WR's, Cleveland, and the Safeties. All other players listed are in play at 56. To be clear, I think Miami can get Edwards and Tyler Johnson later, so I'm not advocating they pick either at 39 - just that they're both good enough to draft that early (copy/pasted from other Day 2 thread).

Love Higgins, but as we've discussed (I think), not sure about the fit for Miami. Ditto Mims. Already have DVP and Preston Williams as 'size' receivers. I think Laviska's ability to break tackles and flat out run over people gives us something we're lacking.

Love Higgins, but as we've discussed (I think), not sure about the fit for Miami. Ditto Mims. Already have DVP and Preston Williams as 'size' receivers. I think Laviska's ability to break tackles and flat our run over people gives us something we're lacking.

Shenault is the more obvious fit, and I'd understand the pick, but I think Higgins is significantly better. Higgins is really good from the slot, too. He and Parker are somewhat redundant, but he's a better prospect than Parker was imo, and both players can slide inside, so I think there's some versatility there.

Higgins' combination of skill and length just doesn't come around often.

To all these people screaming for Xavier McKinney - he was great at Alabama. However, if we think back to Minkah Fitzpatrick and the challenges he had modifying how he played going from Alabama to what Coach Flores wants from his DBs at the Miami Dolphins, there is an excellent chance that he doesn't want a repeat.
I presume that you also realize our new DB Coach is Gerald Alexander from Cal. His absolute star safety at Cal was Ashtyn Davis. I'm not a betting person but don't be surprised if Davis is the Safety that we have targeted and we can probably get him in the 3rd round.

2nd round is a good spot to take one of the elite backs I feel. If one is there at #39 or #56 we should pull the trigger

I presume that you also realize our new DB Coach is Gerald Alexander from Cal. His absolute star safety at Cal was Ashtyn Davis. I'm not a betting person but don't be surprised if Davis is the Safety that we have targeted and we can probably get him in the 3rd round.

Good point about Davis. I think we might be done at DB though. With Noah set to play nickel, that shifts Bobby McCain back to safety to start alongside Rowe. We're likely to see OL, WR, RB and front 7 tonight.

The good thing is, is that we have so many holes to fill. Second round talent will bolster us most everywhere.

I could see the Dolphins targeting Ashtyn Davis. And while a lot of fans might not like it or agree, the Dolphins may feel ok with Rowe, McCain, Fejedelem, Parker, Corbert and a rookie like Davis as a safety group with Howard, Jones, Needham and Igbinoghene at corner. Sure some of the bigger named safeties in the draft would be nice, but maybe the team has a plan in place to use lesser talent but decent skill fits in their 2020 scheme.

Back
Top Bottom