Second Round Targets | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Second Round Targets

I'm glad you mentioned that. This is still a two year build. Have to consider 2021 if the offer is really good.

Oh for sure. I think its high on the agenda for tomorrow. It's not just about spreading out the talent and rolling picks over to next year in order to gain value on those picks. It's almost just as important to space out re-negotiations, you don't want too many guys free agents at the same time.

I am sure they had a 2 year plan to rebuild this thing and get it competitive with a bigger picture plan of spreading out their draft capital over a 4-5 year window.

They were given a long leash from the get go to do things the right way. I can't fault previous regime's with trying to build off what the last regime left them but tearing it all the way down and rebuild from the ground floor is obviously a better strategy for sustained excellence.

Our goals right now are simple, find 3-4 more quality immediate contributors while also securing an additional 3rd and 4th round pick next year. Might be lofty but those should be the expectations.

Delpit has elite coverage skills as a FS. I'd love for Miami to draft him. But not sure they'd be interested.

I'm sure there would be a lot of people here complaining... but I would love to see Miami get their hands on wr Laviska Shenault in the 2nd round. Future NFL stud that will outplay some of the 1st round receivers. Starting lineup with Tua throwing to Parker, Williams, Shenault and Gesicki would equal nightmares for AFC East secondaries. Add a speed receiver off the bench and a dangerious receiving rb and it's even worse. Can wait til 2021 for those last two pieces, Travis Eittiene out of the backfield and one several sub 4.4 wrs expected to be in the 2021 draft pool.
Love this strategy. Winfield at 39, Shenault at 56 and Lucas Niang at 70. Take a receiving/slasher rb like Darrynton Evans in the 4th/5th to compliment Howard and if he doesn't turn out grab Ettiene next year.

Got to go Safety, and though I like all three on that best available list, McKinney would be very exciting.

Ps. With the second 2nd round pick if their still there...Take either tackle Jones or interior linemen Cushenberry.

And if we go wide receiver on day 2, I love Tyler Johnson out of Minnesota.

He's one of the my guys for sure but I think 70 is too high for him. I like Bowden as well but not sure if I like either enough at the expense of a starting Safety or RB2.

To me both of those players would be luxury type BPA picks in the 90-110 range. Devin Duvernay, Gabriel Davis and Antonio Gandy-Golden fit in that group with Johnson and Bowden.

There is a lot to like about the WR class, even into the 4th and 5th round. I believe we will draft one somewhere but not at the expense of more necessary positions.

Denzel Mims, if he lasts to 39, should be the on the table with our first selection today although I believe he will be one of the 2 or 3 first players selected tonight. Not sure 56 has a chance of seeing a WR for Miami. Shenault? Pittman? They will both get drafted before 70, I just don't think Miami passes on a RB for either at 56.

I am not usually a fan of drafting WR's until they present obvious value in the draft so in most cases for me that's after round one. Although I can admit I started thinking about CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy as possible picks at 18 for Miami and started to drool a bit. Thankfully god intervened and made sure we drafted someone who can block for the QB, who with the right time to throw, can complete passes to anyone so that top end talent wasn't necessary.

This franchise is going to draft 3-4 WR's over the next couple of drafts, I'm not going to lose sleep over missing out on any other particular one we didn't get.

Last edited:
RB - Swift or Akers
WR - Denzel Mims or Higgins
T - Josh Jones or Ezra Cleveland
S - McKinney, Winnfield, or Dugger
TE - Kmet

3rd round, hoping for Biadasz or Hennessey for center, unless Cushenberry falls

I agree with a lot of that for sure.

J.Jones, McKinney and Mims are top 3 for me at 39. First round talents.

A lot to like with the rest of your list too. Cleveland, Swift, Akers, (and I would add Dobbins), Winfield, Dugger, (I would add Delpit), Higgins and the 3 centers you listed presents excellent options at 56. Most will be taken before that, as expected, you let the board come to you though. There should be no pressure to draft anything other than the highest rated player on our board outside of QB, P and K.

I suspect 39 will yield great value without the need for a trade up but if 56 and 70 are nearing and there are players with really high grades, don't be afraid to move up a few spots in both situations. Conversely if 39 offers a buffet of options, don't be afraid to try and acquire that late third we could definitely still use to fill the gap between 70 and 136, with a trade down of 3-5 spots.

There are still quite a few pass rushers and OLB's on the board that would fit nicely into this defense.

If your not jealous of the Miami Dolphins after yesterday, that's fine, you will be after tonight.

I think our FO will surprise many here and select DT Raekwon Davis at 39
after that I can see Swift Dobbins or Akers
and in the third : Cushenberry, Henessy, Tago Wanogho or Biadasz

I really want to see the 3 corners; Fulton, Diggs and J.Johnson go early today.

I suspect Bill Belichek likes Jalen Hurts at 37. With an outside chance at Jacob Eason. I think he needs to establish a new identity immediately or he will just widdle away into mediocrity/retirement.

Giants and Lions at 35 and 36 need to be looking at trade down options. Talk to Pittsburgh guys, they need a QB and aren't afraid to move draft picks. I am not worried about Hurts or Eason being New England's QB but the fewer chomps at the QB tree, the better. I hope ****y BB trades down again from 37 to continue to amass the mid round picks he's average at best, at selecting.

Delpit has elite coverage skills as a FS. I'd love for Miami to draft him. But not sure they'd be interested.

They should be, they need him. At 56 you'd be unlikely to find more immediate value. At 39 however, I don't see it as a possibility.

One of these will almost certainly be available at 39:

Swift
Taylor
Dobbins
Epensa
McKinney
Winfield Jr.

If Miami takes any of them, I will be very, very happy.

I agree, Barry Jackson says, Miami had multiple virtual meetings with both Hunt and Dotson and that he thought Miami could take Hunt early. As for Mims, apparently Miami left the impression on the people at Baylor, they were extremely interested in Mims.
I like the thought of Hunt. RG/RT

Lynn Bowden At 70 if they keep the pick. Might be early but the talent and upside is there. Bye Bye Jakeem.
I want Bowden as well, but I think he's more in that 4th round range. Use some of our late picks to trade into the comp 3rds or so maybe and take him. Feel like he would provide a lot of value. WR, RB, gadget QB

I agree with a lot of that for sure.

J.Jones, McKinney and Mims are top 3 for me at 39. First round talents.

A lot to like with the rest of your list too. Cleveland, Swift, Akers, (and I would add Dobbins), Winfield, Dugger, (I would add Delpit), Higgins and the 3 centers you listed presents excellent options at 56. Most will be taken before that, as expected, you let the board come to you though. There should be no pressure to draft anything other than the highest rated player on our board outside of QB, P and K.

I suspect 39 will yield great value without the need for a trade up but if 56 and 70 are nearing and there are players with really high grades, don't be afraid to move up a few spots in both situations. Conversely if 39 offers a buffet of options, don't be afraid to try and acquire that late third we could definitely still use to fill the gap between 70 and 136, with a trade down of 3-5 spots.

There are still quite a few pass rushers and OLB's on the board that would fit nicely into this defense.

If your not jealous of the Miami Dolphins after yesterday, that's fine, you will be after tonight.
I like Dobbins as well, but worried about his hands (fumbles/dropped passes), just didn't list him because I like Swift and Akers better for their all around skills running, catching, and pass blocking.

I also like Delpit, but worry about his tackling issues, he is my 4th safety.

I think we are going safety and RB on the second round and then, we will add a pick on the third round and draft DT and OG/OT on the third. Hopefully Winfield and Dobbins and then Cleveland/Muti and Elliot/Madubuike.

Back
Top Bottom