Senior Bowl Review Notes | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Review Notes

Elite TE's and S's are undervalued, but there are like 3-4 in the entire league at any given time, so teams learn to live without them. It's a different argument than RB imo.
The truly exceptional TE seems to be as rare as the truly exceptional QB.

I think the bottom line with this positional value stuff is to never lose sign of the fact that you're looking at one player versus another and saying I'm going to stake my reputation and future on this guy before that guy.

So when you're looking at a list of players and say, I've got that entire group slotted one round below where you do, I'm naturally going to ask you, OK can you tell me the 30 or so guys that you're implying you like better? And that's not to be a dick. It's just quite literally how this works.

What can you tell me about him? Does he fit what Miami is looking for?
He will play with his hand in the dirt. I think he can play weak side or strong side. You could even put him at nose in obvious passing situations.

What can you tell me about him? Does he fit what Miami is looking for?

He's built like a bigger version of Cameron Wake, at 6'3" & 274 lbs. Look at the build, the engine he's got in his lower body. It's very similar. He's explosive off the snap and very quick with his hands, has strength and mobility.

Yes he does absolutely fit what Miami would be looking for on defense because at Tulane he was an OLB, and looked good playing that role, was legitimately one of the highest grading edge players in the FBS, and yet for Miami at Senior Bowl week they constantly moved him to 3-technique and even 1-technique and he still continued to look good. He was nigh unblockable as a 3-technique during the practices. Yet he was strong enough to take on the double-teams at 1-technique when he was asked to do that (Miami had no true 1-techniques on the National squad, unlike the American squad who had Marlon Tuipulotu and Marvin Wilson).

I don't know if I'd say he's instinctive about his "plan" for how to play and beat the blockers, because perhaps there's a lot of film study that goes into it, but I'll say he's damn successful. I watched him set guys up and vary his techniques according to what was going to work against which guy all through the practice week. It was impressive to see.

Who does that remind you of? Your answer should be Trey Flowers.

Last edited:
Frankly I don't know what Miami is looking for at tackle so I don't know that I can say Dillon Radunz is an especially good target for Miami or not. Under Gailey they drafted both Austin Jackson and Robert Hunt for the tackle spots, and gave an extension to Jesse Davis. That's not evidence of a coherent personnel philosophy as it relates to tackles. They've gone in-house for Gailey's replacement so it could be more of the same opaqueness. But one of the replacements is most definitely a Kubiak guy, so that does make you wonder if they're planning to steer more toward the Austin Jacksons and less toward the Jesse Davis's and perhaps even less the Robert Hunts.

If that's the case then you're looking at a Dillon Radunz quite favorably. He's somewhere between a Joe Staley and a Joe Thomas. His lateral explosiveness, mobility, maneuverability are all top notch. And he can run, obviously. He plays with a nasty attitude and shows some upper body strength in the way he's able to punch and use a player's momentum against them. He sits his but down and keeps a straight back while moving his feet and anchoring all at the same time, and he does it all very well and very naturally. He's been working with Joe Staley and it shows.

If he's not worthy of the #18 pick then I challenge someone to give me 18 players that are unquestionably better at football, to where they should go above him regardless of team need.

I'm starting to really appreciate what a prospect Radunz is and would be totally on board with taking him in round 2, find 18 a little too rich for him though, with our other needs.

If need is the thing, I get it. But I dare anyone to find me 18 guys who should absolutely 100% go above Dillon Radunz regardless of need.

If need is the thing, I get it. But I dare anyone to find me 18 guys who should absolutely 100% go above Dillon Radunz regardless of need.

I certainly hear that, the kid is a stud and if I'm looking for a Tackle there I run the card up but in my mind, I'm moving 1a and 1b down and up to snare Pitts and Smith/Waddle/Chase.

I mean if NEED and FIT weren't a thing then I might very well run up to the podium with a card that says Kyle Pitts at #3 overall. He's a special player and I'd probably forecast 50/50, at least, that he's a future Hall of Famer.

But I do respect the effort toward team-building, that it really isn't as simple as picking the best player in a vacuum.

Back
Top Bottom