Should we draft Zach Wilson at #3 if we could flip Tua for a mid first rounder ? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we draft Zach Wilson at #3 if we could flip Tua for a mid first rounder ?

Because if you have faith in Tua, it’d be like trading your 3rd overall pick for a 2022 1st rounder...

If the coaching staff has faith in Tua, you invest that pick in talent around him. If the coaching staff doesn’t have faith in Tua, you replace him. You don’t ride both sides of the fence and reduce the effectiveness of either choice.

Yeah but no cause they did the same thing last year.

He had an MVP season. I guess that is nothing.
Because of a backup QB??? How about because he is the most physically talented in the nfl, year in, year out since he was a starter? (We can argue I’d turn crown might belong to mahomes in another thread)

What happens in the next 2 weeks:
Do we cut more solid veterans (kVN for example) suggesting we are creating cap space for Watson?
Do we fill draft needs (LBr, WR, Edge, RB) with free agents perhaps suggesting the needed cap space was not for Watson?
What happens with the draft:
Do we draft a QB at 3? Trade down and build around Tua?
This will give us the FO opinion

It wouldn’t be a bad thing if other teams “thought” we may take a QB at 3.

I think Miami has to totally commit to this plan.

Shields or Wilson at #3
Lance at 18
Jones at 36
Trask at 50

Then Miami has a throw off. We keep the best 3 on the roster and trade the other 2 for 2022 draft picks in which we try and gobble up those QBs.

Eventually we have our QB!

I'm starting to think we really want Watson as our QB. I'll admit he's great and he's a sure thing which no matter how you slice it up Tua isn't, yet. I'd keep my assets and build around the guy we just had a conviction on and picked at #5 in the draft. But, Flo is going to do what wins the quickest and as a fan how can I be against that. But don't overpay for Watson, play hardball and don't give up 4 ones and don't give up Howard in the deal.

Wilson really hasn't played against strong enough competition to even compare him to Tua.

This draft is going to be a QB disaster. All these teams are overvaluing these QBs. I wouldn’t touch a single QB not named Lawrence. Wilson and Fields are 100% busts imo. OSU QBs in the NFL speaks volumes of how they’ve faired. Wilson was in a pass happy BYU Offense with zero Competition. These guys are backups at best. I hope and prey the Jets take one of the two. Sam Darnold will have a better career than these guys.
We want them to think that. In fact who knows who is going to be good. What if Mac Jones ends up throwing 4k or Kyle Track. Not everyone will start. In fact most rookies don't start right away. Even Tom Brady wasnt a day 1 starter.

I'm starting to think we really want Watson as our QB. I'll admit he's great and he's a sure thing which no matter how you slice it up Tua isn't, yet. I'd keep my assets and build around the guy we just had a conviction on and picked at #5 in the draft. But, Flo is going to do what wins the quickest and as a fan how can I be against that. But don't overpay for Watson, play hardball and don't give up 4 ones and don't give up Howard in the deal.
That is a nice fantasy. Let me know if Pam Anderson comes out after the trade rejuvenated.

Wilson really hasn't played against strong enough competition to even compare him to Tua.
Josh Allen didnt either and Herbert's competition wasnt all great either so thats hardly a necessity to succeed. If you have an accurate strong arm and can process the field and read defenses then you can be an elite NFL QB.
Wilson does not have an elite arm but he is very accurate and is very smart in the pocket and can read defenses. Of course he is not a lock to be a good NFL QB but after watching Tua this year he is not either.

Reactions: BSQ
Please elaborate.

They had a guy in Ryan Fitzpatrick who could start, and did, and won games for us. The same thing a Mitchell Trubisky or Marcus Mariota would be. So instead of those guys why not a rookie instead? The argument is contingent on if that is even an option they are leaning towards. Because who is the back up going to be then? I was just making an observation and posting a question. To be honest, I prefer Justin Fields to Zach Wilson but I think both will be good.

Back
Top Bottom