Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors)

I just saw a guy working within the framework of the offense, executing the way he's supposed to for the most part. Lots of drops. Sometimes ball placement just a tad bit off. The two or three big mistakes were the sort of play I could see a lot of guys screwing up, the sort of problems that come with calling the game the way the coaches called it (which I think you alluded to).

Came pretty close to connecting on some big plays on this game. Made good reads when given the opportunity. Threw good balls. Just kept executing.

I just saw a guy working within the framework of the offense, executing the way he's supposed to for the most part. Lots of drops. Sometimes ball placement just a tad bit off. The two or three big mistakes were the sort of play I could see a lot of guys screwing up, the sort of problems that come with calling the game the way the coaches called it (which I think you alluded to).

Came pretty close to connecting on some big plays on this game. Made good reads when given the opportunity. Threw good balls. Just kept executing.

I just don't see it my friend. I didn't see him complete a single pass beyond 10 yards of the LOS. Only saw him attempt one really - he had the guy running wide open because Savion stumbled and completely missed him.

As a late round or UDFA I suppose he's about as worthy as some of the others I have ranked towards the bottom here. But he's probably not for me. Too easy to eliminate for my taste.

It's all land of the broken toys with this seniors group, so I'll grant we're not talking about any sort of home run with Justice Hansen.

I like his combination arm talent and wheels, the fact he's stepping up the way you'd hope he would in his situation.

With this group I just end up feeling like if you go with Ryan Finley you're reaching for mediocrity, if you go with a Clayton Thorson you've got a guy who will murder you with inconsistency, Drew Lock seems like naught more than scaffolding, Kyle Kempt is slow as the tide, and it's just hard to trust Will Grier.

Of course I still like Drew Anderson. But he's been exiled to football hell and it's going to be hard for him to climb out. Watching that offense is hard.

I like Jordan Ta'amu as well. You could do a lot worse than taking a chance on a talent that heads into every game knowing that he has no rearguard, and that every single possession that doesn't net you points has terrible consequences. He's put together the 4th highest yards per play figure in college football. Get right down to it, he throws a pretty ball, and he can drop it right into a spot where only his guy can get it. That fade touchdown to D.K. Metcalf vs the Salukis was ridiculous not just because of how much they trusted Metcalf (to where nobody else even ran a route), but also because of the confidence they had in Ta'amu's ball placement just knowing that he's going to drop it right in the most perfect spot where either the 6'4" wide receiver is getting it, or nobody is.

It's just a flawed Senior class. With Grier you have to worry about the decision making. He throws bad interceptions and has no game management skills. He's the anti-Joe Burrow. Hasn't learned how to just live for another down yet. Bad turnovers all in the redzone this past Saturday vs. Kansas that took points off the board and kept that game close against a team that shouldn't have been in the game. He's married with a child, but you have to wonder about the PED situation that got him kicked out of Florida. Just not a kid you can invest all your trust in. More of a lower tier starter at the next level - which is basically what Finley and Thorson are.

They all have question marks and flaws, just have to decide which questions and flaws you want to live with.

Justin Herbert, Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones, and Steven Montez are probably where I'd lean in terms of interest if they declare. There's upside with each one of 'em. Although best case scenario for one or two would be to sit for a year in the NFL behind a veteran just playing out his string.

Otherwise, I think you stock up on defensive talent and put yourself in position to make a run at Tua at the top of the draft in 2020. That kid is truly, truly special in a lot of ways.

I like Jordan Ta’amu and Steven Montez. Ta’amu must have some kind of talent if he beat out Patterson at Ole Miss to make him want to transfer to Michigan.

Justin Herbert has really improved this year. I'm impressed. And he will probably come out, so I think he will continue to be front and center on these discussions. There's some Carson Wentz in there.

You know I like Dwayne Haskins. But I think you're right that he won't come out, unless they end up winning the National Championship, and at this stage I wouldn't forecast that. Not with Alabama looming.

I like Steven Montez. He's probably right up there with Herbert, to me.

Daniel Jones is obviously well coached and he's got better wheels than any Manning ever did. But he's got a popgun arm. Not used to seeing that on a tall guy like him. It's ultimately why I've had to back down from a Brian Lewerke, as well. I often grow to like guys like this despite their limitations, but the value has to be capped. With the levers on his body, there is a possibility that Jones's arm strength could get better over time, though.

I like taking shots on the McKenzie Miltons of the world. He's got a good arm, though I wonder if he's going to blow out his elbow one day. Super quick release. Obviously everything goes at lightning speed for him. Super quick, super elusive, legitimately fast. Very conscientious guy who works at it and cares a whole lot. He's not Baker Mayfield. I can't imagine Baker Mayfield going out against South Carolina State and making some of those Rex Grossman type I don't care I'm just gonna wing it decisions. But if Milton cares as much as the people around him say he does, he could grow out of those. If you've got a shot at legit guys then obviously a Milton is way down the list, but if not...worse things have been done with draft resources. The cool thing, to me anyway, is if he's this good then you'll see it right away, and if he's going to be out of his depth you'll also see that right away. You don't need as much commitment with him.

Yeah it's the arm with Daniel Jones if you're looking for a knock. His footwork, movement in the pocket and feel for the rush is really good.

I'm still a fan of Lewerke's NFL potential, but that offensive line keeps him under constant pressure and he never really gets to settle. Secondly, that offense is completely different without L.J. Scott. There's a severe dropoff to those other backs on the roster.

Milton's release is certainly rare. It's hard for me to project kids that size as starting quarterback material in the NFL - it just doesn't happen. But I look for limitations with him in regards to arm strength or athleticism, and just can't really find it. He's an interesting player. Kid wins.

This senior class is rough.

I get a guy I kind of like a little bit, and he just shat himself against App State. He honestly, truly, looked better against Alabama.

He threw some bad picks. Guess that's why they don't let him throw the ball downfield. Forced one into quadruple coverage, telegraphed another one to Tae Hayes. Hayes is an interesting kid, saw him in high school here for Decatur (Rolando McClain's high school) several times.

https://247sports.com/Article/Washi...is-on-a-Jared-Goff-like-trajectory-123049373/

Gardner Minshew. I laughed when everyone was trying to recruit him as a grad transfer out of ECU, at first he was set to go to Bama. I was like ummm that's dumb of him, then went to WSU. I guess Ive known ECU has been a joke since losing Lincoln Riley but damn this guy averaged 210 a game for us. 410 a game for WSU. I will say one think that I do like about him (IM PRETTY SURE IT WAS MINSHEW and not Phillip Nelson our transfer from Minn) but he sounds exactly like batman at the line of scrimmage when calling out his cadence. both were new and incoming players to the Pirates when I went to their practice in charlotte, but it'd be cool to have batman at QB

I actually believe Minshew is a slightly better NFL prospect than Luke Falk was, but I never thought much of Falk - I had him as a late rounder or UDFA while all the talking heads hyped him up as a 1st round pick for 2 years. Falk has never thrown a guy open in his life. He won't test coverages. Minshew will.

Maybe not surprised but Drew Anderson's arm is clocking easily in the same caliber as Drew Lock's.

Slimm mentioned that Drew Lock had yet to develop a "nuanced" selection of throws, despite great arm strength. This is something that Drew Anderson of Murray State has on him.

Anderson definitely has the same caliber arm strength as Drew Lock. This fast ball is as fast as anything I've seen out of Drew Lock, on about a 30 yard throw. Anderson had his feet, was able to step into it, and drove this football about 54-55 mph average speed over the distance.

And on this throw you see Anderson rolling to his right. What I found most interesting about this one is his feet are actually off the ground when he heaves this thing, all arm and upper body, keeping the ball's average speed at about 52 mph.

Now this ball doesn't have the same energy as the previous two (I believe it was about 47-48 mph), but note that he's rolling LEFT and throwing against his body leverage. The ball still flies off his hand, and that's important.

And finally, this is the coup de grace (to me). The above instances are all about your arm strength and range. Can you drive the football, can you drill it rolling right, can you still get energy and accuracy rolling left. THIS throw below though, is all about nuance.

This is virtually the same distance as the first throw that he drove at about 54-55 mph. But he's got to drop the ball OVER top of a defender, and still get the ball to SIT underneath another defender. So it's the same distance as the other throw, which he stepped into and took a 54-55 mph arc trajectory, but this time he chooses a 44 mph arc trajectory so that he can sneak it over that lower defender.

That's a lot of arm talent.

And just as a bonus...this guy also has a great set of wheels, when he gets up to speed.

Back
Top Bottom