Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Montez is the most improved quarterback on this list from last year in my opinion. He has everything he needs to warrant being a high draft pick. However, he has to hold it together and keep from falling apart and turning the football over against good (ranked) opposition like he typically does. If he can do that, he establishes himself as more than a nice looking project. He took a big step towards that Saturday in Lincoln.

Montez appeared to take a step back in this area against USC. He has a tendency to let his eyes drop after you hit him a few times. It's something I think the USC defense noticed on film and made it a priority to implement on Saturday.

In other QB news, Jarrett Stidham is still....well......not very good. He has some arm talent, he's a good looking kid and a solid dude off the field. But he's a complete disaster under any sort of pressure. Just absolutely crumbles. I couldn't draft him.

Daniel Jones would also be a good investment if you're in the market for a quarterback. I can see some Chad Pennington type qualities in him in terms of touch and accuracy. The pocket management, footwork and poise are the best in this class.

I've heard Adam Gase appreciates Nick Fitzgerald. Obviously he'll not have dug into the class yet, but he likes him.

Slimm before I get deeper into the Daniel Jones library, can I get your opinion on this throw?

It looks to me like Daniel Jones takes his gather step and heaves it, keeping a lower trajectory because he's not really trying to hit a guy vertically with a defender in trail, but really trying to get the ball under a deep defender on a cross. Which means he's not necessarily trying to get air under this ball; he's just trying to get it there.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, that's why I'm asking.

But if that is the case then...WOOF. This is Jay Fiedler type arm strength. Maybe not even Jay because I had Jay at over 40 mph on throws of this distance, way back in the day.

Just to put this into a quantitative context, I've got throws of this distance from other guys that crest 50+ miles per hour average speed. This one...was 38.

I looked at a virtually identical throw from Jarrett Stidham, and it was damn near half a second faster. And Stidham has what I'd deem to be "NFL velocity", not what I would call an "NFL good velocity".

That 0.45 second difference on the two identical throws translates to about 12 to 13 feet of extra closing distance for a defensive back running at typical speed.

Maybe Jones just flubbed it.

Slimm before I get deeper into the Daniel Jones library, can I get your opinion on this throw?

It looks to me like Daniel Jones takes his gather step and heaves it, keeping a lower trajectory because he's not really trying to hit a guy vertically with a defender in trail, but really trying to get the ball under a deep defender on a cross. Which means he's not necessarily trying to get air under this ball; he's just trying to get it there.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, that's why I'm asking.

But if that is the case then...WOOF. This is Jay Fiedler type arm strength. Maybe not even Jay because I had Jay at over 40 mph on throws of this distance, way back in the day.

Just to put this into a quantitative context, I've got throws of this distance from other guys that crest 50+ miles per hour average speed. This one...was 38.

I looked at a virtually identical throw from Jarrett Stidham, and it was damn near half a second faster. And Stidham has what I'd deem to be "NFL velocity", not what I would call an "NFL good velocity".

That 0.45 second difference on the two identical throws translates to about 12 to 13 feet of extra closing distance for a defensive back running at typical speed.

Maybe Jones just flubbed it.

You're correct that this is a touch throw and not a velocity throw. That said, probably not one of his best throws - weight transfer wasn't really ideal, but I wonder if that was because he was concerned with colliding into his RB who he could see was moving backwards towards him when he released it.

I think if you evaluate many more throws of Jones, you'll understand he can get the football down the field with no problem. The throws that I find he has more difficulty with are velocity throws towards the sideline or outbreaking routes.

In my opinion, when you want to evaluate arm talent - there are 3 categories you have to assess. First, the force generated (size of arm). Secondly, how far you can throw a football with trajectory and distance. Third, how much velocity the arm can get on the football....arm speed. All of these throws are different. Thrown differently based on the route and what the situation is. You may have one of these, but doesn't mean you have the other, so on and so forth. If you have all three, I think you're checking all the boxes in terms of pure arm talent.

I believe Jones checks 2 out of 3 boxes in terms of arm talent - the first two. When I study him, I see the velocity type throws as being where there's some question. However, I think these are the type you can improve on. There are more variables you can use in your favor to get the job done (anticipation & timing). If you don't have any of the three, you're probably not an NFL prospect.

I think the touch and accuracy Jones has are the things you can't really coach. Without really even touching on what he does with his feet, or intangibles.

Furthermore, just because you have all three doesn't necessarily make you a lock to be great either. A lot of the issues I see with Drew Lock and Jarrett Stidham for example, are the same issues I saw with Brady Quinn and Christian Hackenberg. Arm talent wasn't an issue. Accuracy and poise were.

OK based on what you're telling me I had to look a lot deeper, because what you said suggested that there was more to find with his arm strength.

What I found is the top end of his velocity can be where you need it to be for the NFL, at certain distances. When he squeezes it and has his weight transfer proper, at a certain distance, he's got the velocity. To the point where he might surprise some people with his radar gun readouts at the Combine on the out route.

He can also achieve an NFL trajectory and control at really deep distances, like 55 yards.

But there's a hole in his game from an arm strength standpoint and it reminds me of Matt Flynn, once upon a time. At certain distances, we are talking about 35 to 45 yards, there are quarterbacks who can continue to drive the football on low trajectory at that distance. He can't. At those distances, he's into a touch throw. Which means there are certain NFL throws he's just not going to ever throw.

Overall this makes me steer toward him being a backup at the next level. You can see the lack of a natural arm bleed over into, for example, a tendency to one-hop a ball into the flat when he's got to execute a quick turn and throw, or the ball coming out a duck when he's under duress, etc. That's what I ultimately worry about; the myriad unpredictable ways that a lack of arm manages to manifest itself.

Nowadays in the NFL I think a young quarterback has to be able to come in punching and kicking with his own abilities before he starts to 'get it' a few years in. They're not all gonna be coached by Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. I don't know that I see Jones able to do that.

Jones may still be attractive for this draft class, but to me it's with the understanding that it's a weak one.

By the way, I don't know if you were ever able to see Jeff George play at Illinois or how much you saw him play in the NFL, but to me he represents the most likely never again approachable benchmark for pure arm talent. Disregard his flaws as a teammate and how uncoachable he was for a second - just watch him throw a football over and over again. You'll understand.

He consistently made off platform throws without having his feet set into windows in the NFL that were just impossible. Just all arm and nothing else. I use to have a video of a throw he made when he was with the Raiders - 70 yard bomb into a 30 mph wind at the Meadowlands of all places, to who was probably the fastest guy in the NFL at the time in James Jett. Just stupid.

George actually held the football in a very weird and unconventional manner that required huge hands to pull off. He threw the ball with his index finger on the point of the ball. I've never seen anybody else do that.

There was really good video you could find on Youtube at one point done by Performance Lab of California on Jeff George that talked about how he was able to achieve some of the arm feats he was able to. Think it was titled Jeff George Quarterback Throwing Breakdown. There were some Josh Allen comparisons in it from an arm ability standpoint. It's worth a view if you want to take a deeper dive into the science behind arm talent.

By the way, I don't know if you were ever able to see Jeff George play at Illinois or how much you saw him play in the NFL, but to me he represents the most likely never again approachable benchmark for pure arm talent. Disregard his flaws as a teammate and how uncoachable he was for a second - just watch him throw a football over and over again. You'll understand.

He consistently made off platform throws without having his feet set into windows in the NFL that were just impossible. Just all arm and nothing else. I use to have a video of a throw he made when he was with the Raiders - 70 yard bomb into a 30 mph wind at the Meadowlands of all places, to who was probably the fastest guy in the NFL at the time in James Jett. Just stupid.

George actually held the football in a very weird and unconventional manner that required huge hands to pull off. He threw the ball with his index finger on the point of the ball. I've never seen anybody else do that.

There was really good video you could find on Youtube at one point done by Performance Lab of California on Jeff George that talked about how he was able to achieve some of the arm feats he was able to. Think it was titled Jeff George Quarterback Throwing Breakdown. There were some Josh Allen comparisons in it from an arm ability standpoint. It's worth a view if you want to take a deeper dive into the science behind arm talent.

I've actually seen exactly that video, and the Josh Allen comparison. I do try and watch those performance lab breakdowns when I can. They're very informative. They've got one on McKenzie Milton and they do a good job explaining some of the concerns I have about him.

I've actually seen exactly that video, and the Josh Allen comparison. I do try and watch those performance lab breakdowns when I can. They're very informative. They've got one on McKenzie Milton and they do a good job explaining some of the concerns I have about him.

There was another Jeff George workout video that had a couple of parts to it. Think it was around 2009 when he held a workout on campus at Illinois when there were rumors of a comeback. I believe he was 41 at the time. The throws he was still able to make in that workout over and over again were just incredible. That guy had rare talent in his arm.

Do you think Josh Allen is similar? I do, but my memories of Jeff George are from when he was older playing for Minnesota and Washington.

Back
Top Bottom