Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Was hard for me to get beyond him saying that Jake Fromm is not a 1st round quarterback because of his lack of arm talent, and then in the same breath saying that Joe Burrow is playing his way into possibly being the #1 QB in the draft.

I'm sorry but there's just no planet where that makes sense.

He did bring up some fair criticisms about Fromm's ball spin and how the ball ends up coming into the receiver low sometimes. IMO the latter happens because he's not always stepping through his throws. He's snapping them off all arm at times, and often after a quick pump.

My take, as basic as it is, is the observation that Fromm is not a consistent [big] playmaker

despite the fact he has the benefit of significant talent surrounding him. Beyond that

I cannot definitively affirm any significant upward trajectory to his college game

whereas a kid like Burrow has clearly demonstrated "impressive [rapid] development."

Last, regarding the "arm," it seems you're a Tua fan and I like the kid as well but

it's rather obvious his arm is weak to maybe ??? average by N F L standards.

Both Fromm and Burrow are pretty much in the same category IMO.

Burrow is the superior athlete, Tua coming in 2nd and Fromm dragging up the rear.

But on a number of criteria you have to put Herbert at the top of the list.

Bigger. Best arm. Best athlete. Biggest upside. And if any of these kids are going to be

a certified N F L dominator -- I think Herbert is the best bet (but perhaps the biggest "risk").

Bottom line. It's ALL speculation. But it seems some folks believe certain players are

literally transcendent BEFORE they've even made a pass in an OTA.

That's nonsense IMO.

:lol:

Burrow is not a better athlete than Tua. I don’t think it’s even close.
I think Tua is the better athlete overall. But, i think the escapability from the pocket is very close. Burrow seems to have a knack for escaping under pressue.

I think Tua is the better athlete overall. But, i think the escapability from the pocket is very close. Burrow seems to have a knack for escaping under pressue.
I think the escapability aspect of a QB is more about instinct. Marino was famous for side stepping or stepping up into the pocket to escape pressure. To me it's instinctual because you can't take your eyes off the down field action, without getting eaten alive.

My take, as basic as it is, is the observation that Fromm is not a consistent [big] playmaker

despite the fact he has the benefit of significant talent surrounding him. Beyond that

I cannot definitively affirm any significant upward trajectory to his college game

whereas a kid like Burrow has clearly demonstrated "impressive [rapid] development."

Last, regarding the "arm," it seems you're a Tua fan and I like the kid as well but

Burrow is the superior athlete, Tua coming in 2nd and Fromm dragging up the rear.

Bigger. Best arm. Best athlete. Biggest upside. And if any of these kids are going to be

a certified N F L dominator -- I think Herbert is the best bet (but perhaps the biggest "risk").

Bottom line. It's ALL speculation. But it seems some folks believe certain players are

That's nonsense IMO.

Fromm is an NFL quarterback. Quit hyping up XFL fodder.

That's nonsense IMO.

I dont know if you are trolling or you believe half the mess you spew on here. Either way your writing style is pretty damn annoying to a level that makes it impressive. Touche.

Near as I can tell, Jake Fromm has a 111 career passer rating against top 25 scoring defenses. Tua Tagovailoa has a 100 career passer rating against them, and Joe Burrow brings up the rear with a 78 passer rating.

I said it before that I’d be happy with Fromm if no Tua, and still feel that way. I like him for this team a hell of a lot more than Burrow or Herbert.
Still hoping for Tua though, I’d be super happy with him.

I see Jake Fromm as a typical boom-or-bust quarterback. He could be anywhere from Colt McCoy to Andy Dalton to Jimmy Garoppolo to Tom Brady. Russell Wilson was also boom/bust. He could've been anything from an absolute bust (because the NFL isn't compatible with 5'10" quarterbacks), to the player he is today (because that's who he was in college).

Fromm has been a superb college quarterback from a very early age. Leadership, command, efficiency, consistency, accuracy, balance, awareness, he just does everything really well and if someone can't really see how that could end up translating into a Hall of Fame career then I take it that person has never watched Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees play football.

But at the same time, Fromm can't lean on the size/strength of guys like Cam Newton, the speed of guys like Kyler Murray, the elusiveness of guys like Russell Wilson, or the arm talent of guys like Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes...and yet he's going to have to beat those players because that is where the rubber meets the road. You will play guys that do have that size/strength, that do have that speed/elusiveness, guys that do have that arm talent, and you're going to have to find a way to beat them. The small hands could be a thing. It could already be bleeding into several aspects of his game, from the tendency for the ball to come off his hand wobbly (inconsistent spiral) to his poor performance in weather games (e.g. Kentucky) to his tendency to flub a shotgun snap or center exchange every now and then. His tendency to lean back and away from trash in the backfield could also be bleeding into several aspects of his game, with his tendency not to step through his throws, the tendency for the receiver to need to dig the ball off the ground, etc. If those things are structural, hard-wired, if they're not subject to maturation or learning, then you can imagine him just not really catching on in the NFL.

The thing that separates Tua Tagovailoa, IMO, is that he's got certain physical talent advantages that he can lean on, and that gives him a higher floor in the NFL, though not necessarily a higher ceiling.

Burrow is not a better athlete than Tua. I don’t think it’s even close.

I think Burrow is a very sneaky good athlete -- he's obviously bigger

and I think more giddy up... Hope they both run the 40 at the combine!

:)

IMO Fromm has a very high Peter Principle factor...

Concerns me his game has really not evolved.

Time will tell...

Back
Top Bottom