Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

I see Jake Fromm as a typical boom-or-bust quarterback. He could be anywhere from Colt McCoy to Andy Dalton to Jimmy Garoppolo to Tom Brady. Russell Wilson was also boom/bust. He could've been anything from an absolute bust (because the NFL isn't compatible with 5'10" quarterbacks), to the player he is today (because that's who he was in college).

Fromm has been a superb college quarterback from a very early age. Leadership, command, efficiency, consistency, accuracy, balance, awareness, he just does everything really well and if someone can't really see how that could end up translating into a Hall of Fame career then I take it that person has never watched Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees play football.

But at the same time, Fromm can't lean on the size/strength of guys like Cam Newton, the speed of guys like Kyler Murray, the elusiveness of guys like Russell Wilson, or the arm talent of guys like Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes...and yet he's going to have to beat those players because that is where the rubber meets the road. You will play guys that do have that size/strength, that do have that speed/elusiveness, guys that do have that arm talent, and you're going to have to find a way to beat them. The small hands could be a thing. It could already be bleeding into several aspects of his game, from the tendency for the ball to come off his hand wobbly (inconsistent spiral) to his poor performance in weather games (e.g. Kentucky) to his tendency to flub a shotgun snap or center exchange every now and then. His tendency to lean back and away from trash in the backfield could also be bleeding into several aspects of his game, with his tendency not to step through his throws, the tendency for the receiver to need to dig the ball off the ground, etc. If those things are structural, hard-wired, if they're not subject to maturation or learning, then you can imagine him just not really catching on in the NFL.

The thing that separates Tua Tagovailoa, IMO, is that he's got certain physical talent advantages that he can lean on, and that gives him a higher floor in the NFL, though not necessarily a higher ceiling.

Interesting that you brought up Russell Wilson. I went to see him play several times at NC state and thought he was just a game manager (Similar to Fromm). and then Wilson Transferred to Wisconsin in a more pass heavy offense and really padded his stats. So this gives me hope that Fromm and/or Burrow can be more than just game managers at the next level.

I've alluded to it before but this throw by Tua Tagovailoa is nearly as fast as anything I've got on file for Justin Herbert.

He put a lot into it, to get that kind of velocity, but he did it very quickly and off a play fake. Ball was out of his hands in 2.0 seconds. Off a play fake. With maximum oomf on the throw. Still just 2.0 seconds to get the ball out. Ball was in the receiver's hands 8 yards upfield from the opposite hash in 2.9 seconds, even with a play fake. Crazy.

The timing, from how quick he was able to get it out of there, to how hot the pace came in, not to mention the accuracy and placement, are the reasons this went for a touchdown.

I've alluded to it before but this throw by Tua Tagovailoa is nearly as fast as anything I've got on file for Justin Herbert.

He put a lot into it, to get that kind of velocity, but he did it very quickly and off a play fake. Ball was out of his hands in 2.0 seconds. Off a play fake. With maximum oomf on the throw. Still just 2.0 seconds to get the ball out. Ball was in the receiver's hands 8 yards upfield from the opposite hash in 2.9 seconds, even with a play fake. Crazy.

The timing, from how quick he was able to get it out of there, to how hot the pace came in, not to mention the accuracy and placement, are the reasons this went for a touchdown.

The best thing about Tua is how most people can't even pick up on what he actually does - because he's so good. His feet and eyes are so manipulative and they're always so tied together.

Everything in Tua's body language, alignment, and footwork told the defense he was throwing that ball to Waddle on the bubble screen off the RPO, but he threw it to Ruggs coming behind the nickel DB staring at Tua's feet.

Like I said, your feet dominate everything that you do. Tua's feet dominate.

The best thing about Tua is how most people can't even pick up on what he actually does - because he's so good. His feet and eyes are so manipulative and they're always so tied together.

Everything in Tua's body language, alignment, and footwork told the defense he was throwing that ball to Waddle on the bubble screen off the RPO, but he threw it to Ruggs coming behind the nickel DB staring at Tua's feet.

Like I said, your feet dominate everything that you do. Tua's feet dominate.

Yup. That's some deception right there.

1573161103900.png

Kid's been well schooled. Obviously the product of numerous QB camps and oodles of prep training. That's all good in the sense it shows he can incorporate programming and execute a logarithm.

He's still small framed. Weak arm. And has a track record of physical frailty. But he "anticipates well" in the 'bama system surrounded by NFL grade receivers and looks great in the dink and dunk game (with YAC off the charts)! Yeah I gotta get me some of that!

ENUFF of the promos! He's not the second coming and has legit questions relative to his NFL "prowess" let alone his core viability as a high-performance long-term solution as a PRO QB.

Put him in a dog fight under constant pressure when the chips are down and let's see the "transcendent greatness" emerge right before our eyes!

Show! Don't tell!

:lol:

Put him in a dog fight under constant pressure when the chips are down and let's see the "transcendent greatness" emerge right before our eyes!

Show! Don't tell!

You mean, like the play below? Right after a negative play? In a National title game no less?? Can’t have more chips down that that!!!!

Here’s the show me part:

When I watch Fromm, I get a Carson Wentz comparison. Movement and arm seem comparable.

Carson Wentz has hi level escapability talent and playmaking ability, ability to go off script..

Jake does not nearly come close..

Burrow is not a better athlete than Tua. I don’t think it’s even close.

ChristAlmighty!!!

You are an ARDENT Tua supporter...cool, but not even close huh? Burrow played point guard very well (basketball) on a good high school team in Ohio.

For you to think that he's not even close to being as athletic as Tua is putting a dent in your cachet and showing a blind bias. I mean I don't know of anyone on the planet, besides despots and religious leaders, that has the type of following that Tua has.

The sum of all Fromm's parts are greater than any single one of his traits....he's just a excellent QB...You can win with him.
I agree with this 100%.
He doesn’t have any gating weakness unlike some of the other competing QB2s

Back
Top Bottom