So the owners care. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So the owners care.

They should only have teams coming off a bye week play on Thursday.

With the exception of Thanksgiving, there shouldn't be ANY Thursday games. And all those playing on Turkey day should have the BYE the week prior, as you suggest.

Thursday night football = garbage football 90% of the time. Even if player safety wasn't a concern, the quality of play should be.

If the NFL is so hellbent on another "primetime" night game, they should do Saturay nights instead. And if they don't want to or can't do Saturday nights until the college season is over, then even Tuesday nights would be better than Thursday's, as it could just be an extension of the same week (as MNF is) and would provide an extra day of rest than these players get playing on Sunday then Thursday.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of ANY games being played except on SUN and MON. But if you're gonna do it, give these guys the most rest possible including strategic BYE weeks beforehand. And limit ALL teams to ONE appearance on THURS.

With the exception of Thanksgiving, there shouldn't be ANY Thursday games. And all those playing on Turkey day should have the BYE the week prior, as you suggest.

Thursday night football = garbage football 90% of the time. Even if player safety wasn't a concern, the quality of play should be.

If the NFL is so hellbent on another "primetime" night game, they should do Saturay nights instead. And if they don't want to or can't do Saturday nights until the college season is over, then even Tuesday nights would be better than Thursday's, as it could just be an extension of the same week (as MNF is) and would provide an extra day of rest than these players get playing on Sunday then Thursday.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of ANY games being played except on SUN and MON. But if you're gonna do it, give these guys the most rest possible including strategic BYE weeks beforehand. And limit ALL teams to ONE appearance on THURS.
I think what Mach means by having TNF after a bye you would probably eliminate garbage football. The reason it is garbage it is sloppy and vastly favors the home team because so little prep time/recovery and worse to visitors for travel time. If both teams were coming off byes neither team would be on short rest or prep time. Which to me is the root cause of the garbage football.

I think what Mach means by having TNF after a bye you would probably eliminate garbage football. The reason it is garbage it is sloppy and vastly favors the home team because so little prep time/recovery and worse to visitors for travel time. If both teams were coming off byes neither team would be on short rest or prep time. Which to me is the root cause of the garbage football.

It'll still be garbage football, for many reasons. The BYE week before doesn't change anything.

Football is a once a week endeavor. Having these guys change their schedule, routines and rhythm, even for just two weeks, has negative effects.

Secondly, most people work during the week. It's one thing to keep people up late once on Monday nights -- which doesn't have the viewership it once did and plays second fiddle to SNF -- but now you want them to pay attention on Thursday nights too?

I'm as avid a football fan as anyone, but I often forget about TNF half the time. I can't count the number of times I've turned it on during the 2nd half over the years. And I've been hosting a fantasy football league since 1995.

Thursday football = garbage.

Nothing was broke with NFL football on SUN and MON only. In fact, I'll bet the ratings for ALL games would be higher if they were ALL played on SUN and MON only (sans Turkey day).

I like Thursday Night Football but I can't say I'm on board with this decision though, moving a game from Sunday to Thursday is a lot of hotels, flights and things having to be changed for the fans, not cool

yeah... it's a bad idea not only are the fans who attend games having to cancel plans they made months in advance.... airline ticket refunds (or, probably not a refund but a "you can use it some other time agenda"...) ticket refunds or having to sell them at a discount to get rid of them or give them away....

Mark Cuban was right years ago when referencing the NFL... "pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered"... The NFL "hog" is heading fast to the slaughterhouse... Sunday/Monday games for me ... Thursday night games suck from a player safety standpoint to an overall fan inconvenience IMO. The international games should go away too. If you want football in other countries open another league in Europe, then you can have an international super bowl after it all plays out for WORLD DOMINATION lmao.... played on a Sunday, of course.

Extend the season, add another bye week, expand the roster size and play games in the USA on Sundays and Monday night. Dominate the TV ratings and keep the players better rested.

It'll still be garbage football, for many reasons. The BYE week before doesn't change anything.

Football is a once a week endeavor. Having these guys change their schedule, routines and rhythm, even for just two weeks, has negative effects.

Secondly, most people work during the week. It's one thing to keep people up late once on Monday nights -- which doesn't have the viewership it once did and plays second fiddle to SNF -- but now you want them to pay attention on Thursday nights too?

I'm as avid a football fan as anyone, but I often forget about TNF half the time. I can't count the number of times I've turned it on during the 2nd half over the years. And I've been hosting a fantasy football league since 1995.

Thursday football = garbage.

Nothing was broke with NFL football on SUN and MON only. In fact, I'll bet the ratings for ALL games would be higher if they were ALL played on SUN and MON only (sans Turkey day).
I agree with all the things about the fans.

But the actual quality of the game would be much better coming of byes. You can still get rest day plan different practices and walk through to keep sharp for the game. And technically it would actually split up the time off during a bye. When you play Sunday and have to play Thursday that is a short time. Especially if traveling.

Why was Thursday ever chosen instead of Friday? No worry for staying up late for alot of people. Is it because of high school football on Friday nights?

They have these crazy things near me called sports bars for those who can't get the game on at home. Check out the concept on Google. Incredible.
You don't have to be a smart ass. For those of us with chronic stomach conditions, we tend to stay away from eating out, especially late at night.

You don't have to be a smart ass. For those of us with chronic stomach conditions, we tend to stay away from eating out, especially late at night.
Why would I have known your stomach condition or how it precludes you from night time bar snacks?

Why was Thursday ever chosen instead of Friday? No worry for staying up late for alot of people. Is it because of high school football on Friday nights?
Yes. There is a bit off an unwritten rule about Friday night being for HS football. College will schedule a few, but it is low level type games. Ratings would probably suffer as every football fan that has a kid on a HS team will be at their games.

Why would I have known your stomach condition or how it precludes you from night time bar snacks?
Clearly you wouldn't. But if you re-read your comment and try to convince me that it wasn't intended to be smart ass, I doubt you could do it convincingly. You either assume I honestly don't know what a sports bar is, or you are being a smart ass for no reason.
Comments like that are shocking coming from the guy who started a thread about positivity which, I assume, you did to make a point that there is too much negativity on this forum (with which I agree). Then you say stuff like that for what reason?
Because it wasn't funny, it had no point other than to be sarcastic for no reason.

Clearly you wouldn't. But if you re-read your comment and try to convince me that it wasn't intended to be smart ass, I doubt you could do it convincingly. You either assume I honestly don't know what a sports bar is, or you are being a smart ass for no reason.
Comments like that are shocking coming from the guy who started a thread about positivity which, I assume, you did to make a point that there is too much negativity on this forum (with which I agree). Then you say stuff like that for what reason?
Because it wasn't funny, it had no point other than to be sarcastic for no reason.
I think you are in a hurry to take offense man. Negativity is "Grier Sucks". "Tua Sucks", etc. Don't act like you don't know what negativity is or what the difference is between that and clear sarcasm not meant to offend. However; if I impugned your sense of sports bar knowledge or violated your gastrointestinal sensitivities, I am indeed deeply sorry.

I think you are in a hurry to take offense man. Negativity is "Grier Sucks". "Tua Sucks", etc. Don't act like you don't know what negativity is or what the difference is between that and clear sarcasm not meant to offend. However; if I impugned your sense of sports bar knowledge or violated your gastrointestinal sensitivities, I am indeed deeply sorry.
No sarcasm there.

You need a reason to be sarcastic? Sweet baby Jeebus, I'm in trouble. /s?

That said, I try not to eat spicy food too late as it affects my dreams. They end up like...

Back
Top Bottom