So... we kept Grier. Let's take a second look. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we kept Grier. Let's take a second look.

I actually think Grier has been an above average drafter. He’s had his misses like every NFL Gm does but he’s been good there. Where he’s struggled is free agency. We really haven’t acquired any good free agent players and basically just waste money. Byron Jones is only significant FA addition who really starts. And even he is probably overpaid and mediocre. I’m fine with giving him another year to spend some money, have one more draft. But I’m not hopeful. Cause this is where he’s struggled, free agency and drafting late in round 1

I actually think Grier has been an above average drafter. He’s had his misses like every NFL Gm does but he’s been good there. Where he’s struggled is free agency. We really haven’t acquired any good free agent players and basically just waste money. Byron Jones is only significant FA addition who really starts. And even he is probably overpaid and mediocre. I’m fine with giving him another year to spend some money, have one more draft. But I’m not hopeful. Cause this is where he’s struggled, free agency and drafting late in round 1

Forgot about Ogbah* he was a great FA add. Other than him it’s been atrocious

Another facet of the Hunter Long selection is that Flores may have told Grier that he wanted to let Mike G. leave in the offseason.

The old argument about in-line TE, vs. spread TE may have been in place. The coaches at that time may have been moving towards more in-line sets and wanted to maximize this sort of player.
Sadly, if that was the argument, this would have come undone when half of our WRs went down with various injuries-- this forcing Mike to act as a WR all year and minimizing the impact of in-line formations.

Long was very well regarded... and even though I would have gone another way, I do understand why they MAY have made the pick.

We'll never know now... with Flores gone, the new coaches may go a completely different direction.

Some players are just good players. Disparate factors be damned.
What you said is true. What you did not say should also be heard.

When a fan likes a player, that player becomes a "good player", no matter what. When a truly good player comes along, his performance usually exceeds his popularity.

An example is Tom Brady. He has demonstrated over the years he is a good player who is always getting better by correcting his weaknesses. Many people love him and even more hate him. Most people, like him or not, think he is pretty good. Their complaints are hyperbole used to mask the inadequacies for their favorite players when compared to Brady.

I've read this before, but it makes no sense to me. If you're going to fire the GM, why would you let him run another draft before you fire him? That's just dumb! Now is the time to fire him, so that the new GM and the new HC can plan together for the upcoming draft.
Keeping him employed isn’t running a draft.

McD took Whaleys inputs and ignored them. Whaley was trivial and fired after. However what it did do is keep Whaley employed and the draft work put in secured. Fire you GM all your draft work is out there.

Wolverines are like Honey badgers, but bigger, just as mean and living in an environment where a Honey badger would not survive as nearly as well.

Just a thought that shows the value of keeping an open mind and working more with facts than opinions.
I thought message boards were used for people expressing both facts (Flores got fired) and opinions (Grier should have been fired along with Flores), no?

if you don’t believe my opinion that Grier was stupid for trading away a first to select Waddle when the Dolphins are in rebuild mode, with no depth on their roster and nowhere close to competing for a Super Bowl then that’s fine.

I’m not a fan because of particular players on this team, I’m a fan of the team. When a GM tells fans that the Dolphins are in a rebuild mode and that they are going to do it right and it will take time, I expect the GM to not deviate from his statement to the fans.

I thought message boards were used for people expressing both facts (Flores got fired) and opinions (Grier should have been fired along with Flores), no?

if you don’t believe my opinion that Grier was stupid for trading away a first to select Waddle when the Dolphins are in rebuild mode, with no depth on their roster and nowhere close to competing for a Super Bowl then that’s fine.

I’m not a fan because of particular players on this team, I’m a fan of the team. When a GM tells fans that the Dolphins are in a rebuild mode and that they are going to do it right and it will take time, I expect the GM to not deviate from his statement to the fans.
It's hard for me to differentiate some posters "facts" from their "opinions".

When information is presented as an "absolute" (a common situation on this board), I consider the poster is presenting a fact.

More clarity is always appreciated.

It's hard for me to differentiate some posters "facts" from their "opinions".

When information is presented as an "absolute" (a common situation on this board), I consider the poster is presenting a fact.

More clarity is always appreciated.

Everyone in finheaven uses facts lol.

@Feverdream How will Grier's legacy be today had he drafted Herbert?
Short term, a lot of people would be happier, I guess.
Tua may still develop into a Drew Brees-like QB though, and that would make Grier look better, although it is fair to mention that board sentiment was overwhelmingly in favour of Tua over Herbert at the time, so I find it hard to justify being overly harsh on Grier for that one.
I was in the minority there and took a TON of grief for being anti-Tua. (I still have scars... lol) There are a fair number of posters here who would have come unglued if we had taken Herbert. Tank for Tua, tank for Tua was all we heard for months.

When judging Grier though, I'm going to say again what I have said before... most of his picks are still in the NFL. The fact that some 'failed' here is more of a statement about our coaching than it is about our drafting.
Charles Harris just had 7.5 sacks this year. Prince starts for the Bengals. Minkah AND Tunsil are excellent players for their new teams. Very few of his picks are out of football altogether, and that's rare.

Back
Top Bottom