So... we kept Grier. Let's take a second look. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we kept Grier. Let's take a second look.

Now your saying we are great at evaluating talent. 👌

Nope. Im simply saying you’re off base on the Long pick. If you want to hate the pick because you hate the talent and didn’t think he was a 3rd round talent, then fine. But to say we have more pressing needs and pick out one player in the 3rd round to fit your narrative, it’s simply wrong.

Nope. Im simply saying you’re off base on the Long pick. If you want to hate the pick because you hate the talent and didn’t think he was a 3rd round talent, then fine. But to say we have more pressing needs and pick out one player in the 3rd round to fit your narrative, it’s simply wrong.

We had Smythe and Gesicki ahead of him on depth chart!

I never said I hated the pick, I said te wasn’t a need , there were better players available that would of contributed during the season.

I don’t mind your analysis. It’s pretty clear that we’ve drafted some good players over the past few years.

The only issue I have is that we can’t look at his picks in a vacuum. You’d also need to include players we didn’t draft who were available when it was our turn to make a selection. That paints an entirely different picture.
I strongly disagree.

When a draftee plays for another team, part of their success is the team they play on and how well it is coached.

The ability to identify and quantify the different situations between who we drafted, and a player drafted by another team is unlikely to yield a meaningful result.

I strongly disagree.

When a draftee plays for another team, part of their success is the team they play on and how well it is coached.

The ability to identify and quantify the different situations between who we drafted, and a player drafted by another team is unlikely to yield a meaningful result.
Is this the “if so & so played for the Dolphins, he wouldn’t be as good” argument?

Fair. Except for the fact that some of his most glaring misses were very closely followed by significantly better picks.

He drafted Austin Jackson - who was followed closely by Justin Jefferson, Cesar Ruiz, Brandon Aiyuk, and Patrick Queen.

He drafted Noah Igbinoghene - who was followed closely by CEH, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, DeAndre Swift, Xavier McKinney, and Kyle Dugger.

Thats not 26 GMs passing on Marino. This isn’t some situation where you’re cherry-picking one great player Grier passed on. He overdrafted two players and passed on a large pool of players who have proven to be excellent.
Grier's' GM strengths greatly outweigh his weaknesses.

With all due respect the 2020 draft is terrible, to have 3 first round picks and miss on each and everyone is incredible. Tua-Igbinoghene-Jackson ?? OMG
Correct but if Tua succeeds and becomes your franchise qb then it was the best.

Grier's' GM strengths greatly outweigh his weaknesses.
I’m not even a huge Grier hater. Just an honest assessment that he’s made some mistakes. Everyone does.

I‘m not someone arguing that he should have been fired with Flores.

If Harbaugh or Pederson say “I want full control” or “I want so and so as my GM”, then I’m OK with moving on from Grier. Otherwise, I don’t have a strong feeling that he needs to go.

Just absolutely dumb for him to move up and lose a 2022 first rounder for Waddle. Armon St. Brown, a 4th rounder, posted similar numbers to Waddle. 🤦‍♂️ Slater, who we could have had at pick #12 is an All-Pro LT.... Grier should have been fired along with Flores!!!

Wolverines are like Honey badgers, but bigger, just as mean and living in an environment where a Honey badger would not survive as nearly as well.

Just a thought that shows the value of keeping an open mind and working more with facts than opinions.

Is this the “if so & so played for the Dolphins, he wouldn’t be as good” argument?
No, it's the "it's too hard to make a knowledgeable opinion" based on disparate factors that cannot be meaningfully analyzed.

I had hoped I had made that clear.

No, it's the "it's too hard to make a knowledgeable opinion" based on disparate factors that cannot be meaningfully analyzed.

I had hoped I had made that clear.
Some players are just good players. Disparate factors be damned.

I don’t think it is known for sure that you kept Grier. The likely time to move on from a GM is after the draft.
I've read this before, but it makes no sense to me. If you're going to fire the GM, why would you let him run another draft before you fire him? That's just dumb! Now is the time to fire him, so that the new GM and the new HC can plan together for the upcoming draft.

Back
Top Bottom