Tannehill-dolphins Franchise Qb?

Is Tannehill the "answer" in Miami?

• Yes

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 86.0%

• Total voters
Can you GO to an AFC Championship game?
I think Mark Sanchez did it twice. So....yeah?

Can you WIN an AFC Championship game?
Since 2003 only 5 QBs have won the AFC Championship: Brady(7), Manning(4), Roethlisberger(3), Flaco(1)
So you're going to need a good team and a good game from your QB.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AFC_champions

Question is: Can the GM and HC build a team to make a deep playoff run plus can you get lucky and stay healthy?

I think at this point, the team is starting to be solid enough to enable them to use high end resources to uprade over him. Defense needs to be solid the rest of the way in order to justify it though...

Reactions: MD
How many ‘franchise’ QB are in the league? In all honesty...the term gets way way overused IMO

I referred to this in another post. First, there needs to be a consensus definition of what a 'franchise' QB is. Remember "Sanchise?"
Another thing. There are a LOT of QBs who need pieces around them. Just about any former NE QB. QBs said to be 'top QBs, but struggle when the D does. Even Brady - the O is less potent without Edleman and Gronk. Again, not arguing Tannehill can't be upgraded, but some hold to this 'QB can carry a team' myth as if PManning could have taken a Jr high team to the superbowl. Remember those saying Miami could have moved up for Rosen? He may turn out to be the 2018 Farve, but so far . . . JAG

Well that’s the big question- are you going to get an improved QB or a player the same or worse. I know alot of you want him out, I get it, doesn’t mean were going to get the ‘answer’ at QB. How long was Cleveland looking?

It does appear they will be looking with more urgency to do something.. so we have that.

Its not on the level of looking at the problem with urgency, but rather looking at the situation as a must to do and change by the start of the 2019 season.. For an upgrade over what we got is not that far out of doable, IMO, to make a change and yes understand there is always the potential for that to fail, BUT WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING its beyond clear.....These are the kind of moves that teams must make and yes gamble on it being an improvement for not doing it is futile.....

Improved or player of same or worse ?
Damn what the hell do we have an organization for if they don't try to improve the team. Can't be afraid to do stuff because it could fail, we are already in that position just haven't done squat to better and surprise the situation is not better..

ryan tannehill is not peyton manning, tom brady, aaron rodgers or drew brees...obviously...

we can win with tannehill but hes not an elite qb like the guys mentioned above and its extremely hard to find those kind of guys

i get alot of people want him gone but think about how many years and how many qbs between Marino and Tannehill weve had. Tannehills clearly the most talented since Marino and it took about 12 years to get there.

We could draft a qb in round one and if he gets hit anywhere close to the amount tannehill has and doesnt perform to the lofty expectations of some who think every qb in the league should be dan marino reincarnated the same people will want him gone. Draft a qb in the first round until you hit right? isnt that the motto around here?

Tannehill at this point in his career is average and needs a relatively decent supporting cast around him....just like 90% of the qbs in the league. Not every qb could lose their edelman and make hogan into edelman. Buuuuuut tom brady has had all day to throw the ball for as long as i can remember, the key for every team is to hit brady early and often and when brady senses pressure he curls up into the fetal position.

Can we upgrade from Tannehill? sure...

The better question is, do you trust the people looking for the upgrade?

At this point im not opposed to drafting a guy in the next year or 2, i think Tannehill kind of got the David Carr treatment in the NFL where he never had a line and the amount of hits theyve taken early in their career never allows them to be comfortable in or get a feel for the pocket, leading to what looks like poor pocket presence.

So when its all said n done, would i say Tannehill is our franchise qb? id probably have to say no, hes not Brady or Brees so hes not guaranteed a job and a young guy will probably challenge him for the job in a few years.

Just look what playmakers and a functional offense has done for Jared Goff, you think he performs at the level he has on the current miami dolphins? i dont think so...

Only in Dophins lala land.
For years we always said we need a franchise QB to build around. That one guy who takes his team on the back. After 3 years of Ryan "oh QBs are not that important." "QBs don't win games by themselves"

Now we are possibly in front of a pile of crap after 6 years (depending on Ryan's injury and if the Dolphins want to further invest) and we start questioning the phrase "franchise QB".

What is a franchise QB? A QB who elevates the talent around him. A QB who has the natural feel for the game. Pocket presence, acurate passing (outside dinking and dunking), pre snap reads and adjustments, can read defenses, is the exended arm of the OC, continues learning, arm strength and most of all plays at least for a decade for the team and will be a player we remember 10, 20, 30 years after he is gone.
Ryan went through some, I don't know, 40 OL players? How many different wide receivers? How many different OCs and HCs? Running backs? He is the only constant in that equation.
If nothing is ever good enough or the QB cannot elevate some of the OL play what do you have? Just another QB who might end up a journey man.
I am still baffled that people think our OL played stellar out of nowhere in the last game. They were put in the position to succeed. And the QB was a big part of that. He changed some protection at times which put our OL players in a position to succeed. Osweiler is anything but a franchise QB. He just used the basic requirements off an NFL QB after half a decade in the lague.

Should Ryan be gone soon then in a few years he will be a footnote in our history. He will be joining the Henne's, the Fiedler's, the Brian Griese's, the AJFeelys.

Unless a QB elevates himself to franchise QB that QB is just a QB we once drafted.

Depending on how the Dolphins feel about Ryan or his injury status he will either become another footnote or he will have another chance for another 2 years to proof that he is or could be a franchise QB.

RT has talent, and LOADS of potential,

BUT...

You hear all the time how talent and potential get you fired in the NFL.

Superbowls have been won by QBs with much less potential.

If he was drafted by another team and FORCED TO earn everything the hard way he would be an infinitely better QB now than he is.

Shananhan would have gotten the best out of him.

He hasn't progressed, what he is able to do on the practice field does not seem to translate to the actual NFL field at least not when it matters most and the pressure is on.

Depends what standards are being used. Case in point, Andrew Luck is 1-5.. so clearly he's not a franchise QB who can carry a team either.

Except Luck actually has some playoff pedigree and pro bowl level play (and before you tell me anyone can make the pro bowl remember RT hasnt)

Except Luck actually has some playoff pedigree and pro bowl level play (and before you tell me anyone can make the pro bowl remember RT hasnt)
Ancient history in a "what have you done for me lately" league... or even" what have you done for me in the last few years.?".. Dilfer actually won a SB. You can only draft on fumes so long.

he won what was arguably the worst division in football at the time and made the playoffs

Most passing yards through first 4 seasons of nfl career

Manning: 16,418

Marino: 16,177

Tannehill: 15,460

Palmer: 14,899

Luck: 14,838

Back
Top Bottom