Tannehill Having Best Year Of His Career. | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Having Best Year Of His Career.

Another serious injury or finding an elite prospect should be the only things that put Tannehill's status in question.

I would also like him to be consistent. I like what I've seen from him in the last 3 weeks and I was also impressed in the second half of 2016, but I need to see it consistently for a longer period before I'm completely sold. Also, the issues we've been having on 3rd down have got to get fixed sooner or later if we are to be successful with him. I'm not saying It's entirely his fault or that he's the main reason we've been having those problems, but at some point he should get his fair share of the blame if it keeps happening. Look at guys like Luck or even Allen moving around and extending plays when protection breaks down. I'm not saying he should be able to replicate that because it's clearly not his game, but at least do something that's better than what we are currently seeing. He's plenty athletic so that shouldn't be a problem. If he can stay healthy, be consistent and find a way to improve his play on 3rd down, especially when it comes to pocket awareness, than I have no problem keeping him for as long as we can. But I have to see it first, and please don't confuse me for some blind Tanne hater, because I'm not.

While I appreciate what you are saying, I'm sick of the "give Tannehill another year to see" mentality. Another year to see what? If he can overcome an overall bad team and make the playoffs? win a championship? IMO, he led a very mediocre team to the playoffs in 2016 and he is giving a worse team to a chance to make the playoffs this year. The idea that this team will compete for a championship with any QB is laughable (see Rodgers, Aaron. Green Bay Packers 2018-2019).

Doesn't it occur to anyone (not singling you out) that it is BIZARRE to be talking about a QB overcoming the rest of the team (especially the OL) for all these years? Why the f**k is that still necessary?

12-4 over his last 16 games, and you are talking about “give Tannehill another year to see”. Sorry, he has proved more than enough to be this team’s starter.

I would also like him to be consistent. I like what I've seen from him in the last 3 weeks and I was also impressed in the second half of 2016, but I need to see it consistently for a longer period before I'm completely sold. Also, the issues we've been having on 3rd down have got to get fixed sooner or later if we are to be successful with him. I'm not saying It's entirely his fault or that he's the main reason we've been having those problems, but at some point he should get his fair share of the blame if it keeps happening. Look at guys like Luck or even Allen moving around and extending plays when protection breaks down. I'm not saying he should be able to replicate that because it's clearly not his game, but at least do something that's better than what we are currently seeing. He's plenty athletic so that shouldn't be a problem. If he can stay healthy, be consistent and find a way to improve his play on 3rd down, especially when it comes to pocket awareness, than I have no problem keeping him for as long as we can. But I have to see it first, and please don't confuse me for some blind Tanne hater, because I'm not.

Lack of consistency and missed opportunities on 3rd down are fair criticisms.

He has a passer rating of 102.67 over the last 16 games with 29 TDs and 11 INTs, while leading a no better than average team to a 12-4 record. What, exactly, are you looking for?

If the previous 16 games haven't convinced you, the next three will not either.

He has 3041 net passing yards on 461 dropbacks while the team has had 1932 rushing yards on 410 attempts. This is from his last 16 games. The team is winning in spite of him.

12-4 over his last 16 games, and you are talking about “give Tannehill another year to see”. Sorry, he has proved more than enough to be this team’s starter.

Like I said earlier, those 16 games you mention happened over the span of 3 football seasons and more than 2 calendar years. I don't think you can count it as a typical NFL season and 12-4 record. I want to see him play a full season next year and do it well before I'm ready to stick with him in 2020 and beyond. However, I'm encouraged by what I've been seeing lately.

He has 3041 net passing yards on 461 dropbacks while the team has had 1932 rushing yards on 410 attempts. This is from his last 16 games. The team is winning in spite of him.

His YPA is 7.7. That would tie him for 7th this season. This year his YPA is 8.0 (which is 9th) so, try again.

Last edited:
IMO this is exactly what has prevented him from taking the next step.

For such an athletic QB (speaking pre-injury), he's usually a sitting duck under the face of pressure. He just rarely recognizes (or feels) where pressure is coming from and rarely escapes from it.

As un-athletic as Eli Manning seems to be, we all saw him extend a play in the SB against the Patriots that set them up for the upset (Tyree catch). I can't recall a time I've ever seen Ryan Tannehill make that kind of play despite being a better, stronger athlete.

I'm far from a Tannehill hater. I think he's a pretty good QB when given adequate time to sling it (as many QB's are). But considering his age and tenure in the league, we know he's never gonna develop pocket awareness beyond what we see now.

I'm all for keeping him until a better option can be found. But MIAMI needs to be looking.
Tannehill is a worst case scenario player because his lack of pocket awareness coupled with his considerable talent leave him as our starter that will never win anything meaningful forever...

It’s a nightmare really....

i dont know if there is a guy coming out to compete with him. unless grier falls to the 2nd, which i doubt due to this qb class. I think they wait until 2020, but that depends on how Ryan finishes the year.

I would be shocked if Grier is taken in the first round tbh, it would be a reach by any team based on concerns about his arm strength. There are already really good options at the top of the QB draft class, Haskins, Herbert and Lock are all certain first rounders while if Kyler Murray forgoes his baseball career and decides to play a proper sport, he'll likely go before all three, he's got better stats than anyone inf CFB this year including Tua and better than Mayfield's numbers from last year on the same team. Grier is a 2nd to 3rd rounder, could be a good value pick for someone, but unless he can prove his arm strength will hold up in the NFL, then it's a huge gamble for someone to take him in the first. Gardner Minshew may be a good fit for a Gase offense, he's likely going in the mid rounds 4-6, if he decides to give the pros a shot.

After Tannehill performance on Sunday and his general good play since he returned, barring an almighty collapse in the last 3 games, he'll be back deservedly as the starter next year and they'll be looking to strike lucky on a draft pick, doubt we use our first rounder now on a replacement. Personally would love Murray, Haskins or Herbert (in that order) and I would be all on board a Lock train if we went that route. Grier and Minshew won't beat out Tannehill in 2019.

as much as i hate to get into this debate the fact that we even have to stitch games together to create a full season worth crediting Tannehill with is not exactly a winning characteristic. not to mention he was 1-4 heading into that 16 game stretch.

and if your answer is "well he was injured" then you're only further proving a point. considering the injuries and the fact that he has never manned a 16 game season that led us to a winning record let alone the playoffs completely justifies the "give another year" mentality. you can't just brush off the criticism. i'm not saying give him the bortles treatment but there is no reason not to use serious draft ammunition if there is a prospect that we like.

i love tannehill's arm and his toughness but mentally he seems to do more thinking than feeling at the position.

LivePleasantJunco-max-1mb.gif

With the win over the Brady led Patriots Ryan tied Peyton Manning as the only QB to lead his team to 4 regular season victories over a Brady led team.

It took Peyton 12 games to accomplish it. Ryan has done it in 10 match ups.

Ryan now has more wins against the Brady led Patriots than 28 NFL franchises

Miami 11 (4) by Ryan
Jets 7
Broncos 6

Ryan Tannehill 4
Peyton Manning 4

Carolina, Chiefs, Colts 3

Rest of NFL

Tannehill is a worst case scenario player because his lack of pocket awareness coupled with his considerable talent leave him as our starter that will never win anything meaningful forever...

It’s a nightmare really....

Just say you want an Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees level QB. Top 5% of players in the league. Because you aren't getting RT's type of performance without one. Even with Rodgers, you still need a good offensive line. Otherwise you are setting him up to get injured.

Do you want an all pro QB just to say well at least we have an All Pro QB while being mediocre every year?
You double down on fixing the offensive line weaknesses and getting quality depth behind the starters. Keep your starting QB upright for 16 games and you have a chance.

The nightmare is having so many season ending injuries. That is where the nightmare begins and ends. Don't let your frustration due to injuries make you believe that RT is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom