Tannehill Having Best Year Of His Career. | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Having Best Year Of His Career.

Dallas Thomas.
Billy Turner.
Jamil Douglas
Isaac Asiata.

There is something very wrong with how the Dolphins draft and develop interior OL players. Something very, very wrong with it.

It goes back a long way. Look at Wade Smith. A flop at LT for us. He goes on to have a decent career in KC and Houston at LG. Interesting note, Smith had 8 penalties (only 5 accepted) in 98 starts. Amazingly Smith had ZERO career false start penalties and 6 holding penalties (1 declined).

Our current LG has 49 penalties in 83 starts, including 22 false starts and 15 holding penalties.

Dallas Thomas.
Billy Turner.
Jamil Douglas
Isaac Asiata.
There is something very wrong with how the Dolphins draft and develop interior OL players. Something very, very wrong with it.

Considering it started a long time ago....(before these guys).

Billy Turner & Douglas started with Jim Turner and then went on to John Benton. In 2016 came Chris Foerseter who started with Asiata and then came Washburn.

Davis has not really progressed either but then you have Tunsil, James and maybe even Brendel (if he could stay healthy). Swanson has been better than expected.

So who is to blame? Were they bad players or bad coaches? Maybe a bit of both? I always wondered why Ted Larsen always said he thinks he is better at RG but they insist on leaving him at LG....

I want to know what’s up with Asiata? Why can’t he get on the field? Is he that bad? Slow? Yeah Larsen had the block of a lifetime on that final play on Sunday, but you’re telling me Asiata can’t beat him out for playing time as starter?

I'm fine with keeping Tannehill around, but we need to draft another QB, somewhere between rounds 2-4 to solidify backup and maybe push Tannehill to continue to play well.

See I look at this completely different. Why draft a "backup" at QB in the 2-4 rounds. In rounds 2-3, you aren't drafting a backup at any other position. Hell even round 4, you are still drafting for a possible starter. So why would we make it any different for the most important position on the field? I have always liked Thill and think we should definitely keep him, but if we are gonna draft a QB it should be with a first rounder. I don't want to piddle with some hopefully project that may be a good backup QB some day. Brocktober did his job in the backup role. He kept the season a float even though it looked terrible at times. We didnt lose all 5 games he played.

With that said, IFthill stays healthy throughout this year, I don't want any part of drafting a QB with the 20-32 pick in the first round. Now in 2020, we maybe cooking with that QB class.

Reactions: Jed
Dallas Thomas.
Billy Turner.
Jamil Douglas
Isaac Asiata.

Agreed. When you look at other teams around the league that find key interior OL talent on day two, three and even amongst the players that go un-drafted, it is frustrating that our front office can't do the same and get the O-Line fixed. For whatever reason we seem to draft the prospects that turn out to be average or downright terrible. It's one of the many things that our front office has needed to improve on for many years. Perhaps 2019 will be that year?

*watches a pig fly by*

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of bad guards and centers around the NFL. It's just that we have had an abysmal record in particular at the guard position for a long time now. We have invested day two (and early day three) picks in guys who have turned out to be downright horrible. At some point you think at least one of these guys would turn out to be even serviceable.

Dallas Thomas.
Billy Turner.
Jamil Douglas
Isaac Asiata.

Really, the failure extends to the entire OL. Johnathon Martin was an epic failure as a player, regardless of his mental health problems. Ju'Wuan James would be looked at a stellar 3rd or 4th round pick, if he never missed a game. As a first rounder with injury issues hardly the return on the possible investment. (Although I was very happy to see him getting after it yesterday).

Laremy Tunsil is an anomaly for obvious reasons.

No more talk when it comes to the OL. This draft is going to be a dream come true for me. I know a corner and DL will be mixed in but it will be a "heavy" draft. I want to draft the ugliest, nastiest, smelliest, grumpiest OL we can find.

Really, the failure extends to the entire OL. Johnathon Martin was an epic failure as a player, regardless of his mental health problems. Ju'Wuan James would be looked at a stellar 3rd or 4th round pick, if he never missed a game. As a first rounder with injury issues hardly the return on the possible investment. (Although I was very happy to see him getting after it yesterday).

Laremy Tunsil is an anomaly for obvious reasons.

No more talk when it comes to the OL. This draft is going to be a dream come true for me. I know a corner and DL will be mixed in but it will be a "heavy" draft. I want to draft the ugliest, nastiest, smelliest, grumpiest OL we can find.

See you next April in Nashville, then.

See I look at this completely different. Why draft a "backup" at QB in the 2-4 rounds. In rounds 2-3, you aren't drafting a backup at any other position. Hell even round 4, you are still drafting for a possible starter. So why would we make it any different for the most important position on the field? I have always liked Thill and think we should definitely keep him, but if we are gonna draft a QB it should be with a first rounder. I don't want to piddle with some hopefully project that may be a good backup QB some day. Brocktober did his job in the backup role. He kept the season a float even though it looked terrible at times. We didnt lose all 5 games he played.

With that said, IFthill stays healthy throughout this year, I don't want any part of drafting a QB with the 20-32 pick in the first round. Now in 2020, we maybe cooking with that QB class.

Right now, Tannehill has the job for next season and we have too many holes to spend on a QB in round 1. If we don't win at least 2 out of 3 though, the debate will open again and we may be looking at a round 1 guy. I agree with your general statement on drafting at the top or not at all however Grier, Minshew or Finley or CK's man crush Easton Stick could be guys you grab lower down and hope you strike lucky, but you could argue we already have that guy on the roster in Luke Falk.

If Murray declares I do think the top of 2019 has more depth than the top of 2020, so waiting around for 2020 is a dangerous tactic. I have a feeling it'll be 2021 before we draft our next high QB.

Dallas Thomas.
Billy Turner.
Jamil Douglas
Isaac Asiata.

The worst part is that so many teams manage to find competent or even great starters at guard who werent even drafted. Yet somehow we cant find a single one whose even halfway decent. Jesse Davis is below average at best and hes our best one in a while.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of bad guards and centers around the NFL. It's just that we have had an abysmal record in particular at the guard position for a long time now. We have invested day two (and early day three) picks in guys who have turned out to be downright horrible. At some point you think at least one of these guys would turn out to be even serviceable.
Maybe it's the coaching as much as identifying the talent?

And included in there is the Bengals game we were winning. Tunsil goes out, Tannehill gets hammered repeatedly (and injured), throws two interceptions (including one for a TD).
Two turnovers that got run back for 6 though one was technically a fumble. It was hideous. That said, hard to ignore 12 of last 16.

Kind of puts in perspective how dumb the "Tannehill and Brock are equal" posts we saw after the Bears game. Thill needs to keep it up. Three tough defenses to close out the season. If he can continue his play, we wont be in the QB market any time soon. We will see.
To be fair, they were pretty even on every metric for a while.

Back
Top Bottom