Tannehill injury updates - no structural damage | Page 73 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill injury updates - no structural damage

Here's what I honestly don't understand. Shouldn't this have been caught sooner? If the doctors knew there were potential stability issues weren't they checking for them? I don't understand how Ryan was deemed good to go but couldn't handle running. There was really nothing out of the ordinary on that play, just a scramble and trying to plant to slow down. Seems like the stability thing should have been a concern all along and if the knee truly looks no different now he's dealing with the same partial tear he was dealing with in December. This seems like poor planning and terrible decision making to me. Ryan's a tough SOB, if he had surgery in December he'd likely be close to playing. I know what the time table says, yada, yada, yada but welker got hurt later (week 16) and was older but was playing week 1 the following year.

Here's what I honestly don't understand. Shouldn't this have been caught sooner? If the doctors knew there were potential stability issues weren't they checking for them? I don't understand how Ryan was deemed good to go but couldn't handle running. There was really nothing out of the ordinary on that play, just a scramble and trying to plant to slow down. Seems like the stability thing should have been a concern all along and if the knee truly looks no different now he's dealing with the same partial tear he was dealing with in December. This seems like poor planning and terrible decision making to me. Ryan's a tough SOB, if he had surgery in December he'd likely be close to playing. I know what the time table says, yada, yada, yada but welker got hurt later (week 16) and was older but was playing week 1 the following year.

You never know the true result until live action. It's an unfortunate incident and second guessing is worthless.

i'm still hoping it was a hyperextended knee, it had nothing to do with the previous injury (or any instability), and the recovery time for a hyperextended knee is 2 to 8 weeks.

I don't understand. So what EXACTLY is going on? Have they stated what caused the knee issue yesterday? Is there still the possibility Tannehill will play this year? The reporting on this has been awful. Is the NFL reporting turning into Soccer where there is false info every 3 seconds?

In my opinion based off everything I have read and reading between the double talk is that there is a possibility that additional damage has occurred. It was not simply a hyper-extension. The diagnosis and treatment protocol could go either way in terms of surgery or time and rehab. My opinion is that they are seeing other experts and it will ultimately be Ryans choice. I also think he may give it a few weeks and get reevaluated and if no improvement or regression then go under the knife.

My belief is that Ryan wants to play and avoid surgery if theres a shot at doing so. Just my interpretation of what's out there.

I don't understand. So what EXACTLY is going on? Have they stated what caused the knee issue yesterday? Is there still the possibility Tannehill will play this year? The reporting on this has been awful. Is the NFL reporting turning into Soccer where there is false info every 3 seconds?

my understanding is that the knee buckled and hyperextended during practice. MRI showed no structural damage. It was the same before the incident as after. I think the concern (and second opinion) now is whether it was due to instability in the knee because of last year's injury (and will continue to happen if he plays), or if it was just a hyperextended knee and not due to any instability. not sure that's what's going on, but that's my take.

Season is not over, Gase has done wonders in situations like this in the past. Take a deep breath, if this had to happen this season this is the perfect time because it gives us a window of opportunity to prepare. If Ajayi can perform we have a good chance imo. We won the super bowl with a Earl Morale backup who played the entire season and a Bob Griese in the playoffs. We may not be a super bowl team but IMO we are much better than last year.

However, it can be stated with a great degree of certainty that the Dolphins and Tannehill have little choice but to proceed with ACL reconstructive surgery.

Often, it is good to attempt a non-surgical conservative treatment. But this approach has been tried with Tannehill. He has had eight months of rest and rehabilitation. Even stem cells have been used. He was using an ACL brace.

And during his first 11-on-11 full practice, he went down with a non-contact knee injury with reports of buckling.

It is doubtful an additional six to eight weeks of rest/rehab is going to change anything, and there must be concern about how he will stand up to the rigors of a full NFL season.

In this case, the argument can be made that surgery is the conservative approach.

The risk without surgery isn’t just that the knee will give way again during practice or a game. The worry is when the knee does buckle again, it could cause more permanent articular cartilage damage, which we don’t have great solutions for.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...tannehill-should-have-surgery-0804-story.html

info on a question brought up by a few posters...

We'd be 8 months into post op rehab right now.

Smh

THIS! I simply don't understand why they didn't opt to go for the surgery ASAP. How many times have we seen this story before with partially Torn ACLs! I cant BELIEVE this has happened.

Back
Top Bottom