Tannehill injury updates - no structural damage | Page 74 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill injury updates - no structural damage

Does anyone know why it is called medical "practice"?

Doctors make mistakes. Not every situation is clear cut. Surgery is not the be all end all. Complications arise as each individual's body is different even though the application of a treatment or procedure may not change from one patient to the next.

Second opinions are advised for reasons.

But most importantly, many are assuming this injury is the result of not having surgery. What if this injury was just as compromising as the first? Should he have been "healthier" before the first injury? Lumping the two injuries together as the first being causation for the latter is not a logical inference.

Are we not cognoscente of the fact he went through a rehab regimen since the last injury? It's not like he was laying on the couch since he was injured and jumped on the field for practice.

Medicine is not exact. Even today. I'm sure the doctors and medical professionals are much more specialized and capable of treating athletes then John Doe's primary doctor. Even so, they are still human.

It's a new injury or a complication. Regardless, we press on. Gase has preached "next man up" since his arrival. The Patriots and other teams can weather these storms. If we are to succeed, so must we. There are 52 other members on this team. If we as fans truly believe Gase is the answer, then why fold when Tannehill goes down? Ryan got injured, not Gase.

Tannehill made the final decision......no one else.
Your right Tannehill made the final decision to opt for rehab and not surgery, going against all the normal thought processes regarding partial tears. He's a med student and you'd think he'd have known better. Ultimately he's responsible for the situation he's in now. He had enough time to rehab from surgery. And would have a much more stable knee joint if he'd had the surgery, instead of the instability putting him in his current dilemma.

Tannehill made the best decision he could with of all the best information he had at the time.

The rest of you folks, who can seemingly see into the future, please let us and the team know what's best ahead of time so we can avoid such undesirable situations down the road.

Oh yeah, and while you're at it, get with Grier as well to make sure we hit on all our draft picks. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I think Tannehill is done. No way this delay happens if there was a feeling he would be back. Right now it is a matter of is he out two or three months with no surgery or all year with surgery. The delay now is to get that determination and also to explore options to back up Matt Moore. It will be Matt Moore's slot to lose, but they will need someone in case he goes down. Who is it and at what price is the topic.

It is what it is! When I saw the original injury and diagnosis I was scratching my head when he didn't have surgery. With that diagnosis it wasn't a matter of if, but when he would need an operation. Partially torn/severely sprained ligaments don't heal. Overtime they lose their elasticity and fail. This really is our worst fears come to fruition. The first practice they turned up the wick and his knee buckled. Since surgery was inevitable with his diagnosis I just don't understand waiting, you risk a more severe injury to the knee. When was he going to have the surgery then? In a year or two when the team develops into a real contender? It is statistics and law of averages, over 90% of patients with his diagnosis need surgery. The vast majority of those patients will never place the demand and stress on their knee a Pro Athlete does.

On the bright side with advancing medicine and using a hamstring graft to make his new ACL instead of a patella graft. Recovery time is down, he won't have to heal the trauma of removing the middle third of his patella tendon to make his ACL.

If it was me I'd have the surgery this time.

He'll be healthy by this time next year easily and be ready for next season.

But Miami needs to do the QB position justice by drafting a young guy higher in the draft as a just in case or even as a starter.

Miami will do right by Ryan, he's a good qb and if he wants it the job will 99.9% likely be his next year

Understandable. It's hard not to. Entering this week we had so much confidence. More than I can remember in YEARS.... and in one roll out in practice, it's gone.

If it was me I'd have the surgery this time.

He'll be healthy by this time next year easily and be ready for next season.

But Miami needs to do the QB position justice by drafting a young guy higher in the draft as a just in case or even as a starter.

Miami will do right by Ryan, he's a good qb and if he wants it the job will 99.9% likely be his next year
. QB in round 1 in 2018 becomes more viable, in spite of Tannehill. He'll be 30 years old next season. Miami's going to need a young, groomed QB waiting in the wings. I'm hoping for the best, both for Tannehill and the Dolphins.

THIS! I simply don't understand why they didn't opt to go for the surgery ASAP. How many times have we seen this story before with partially Torn ACLs! I cant BELIEVE this has happened.
So, in your opinion, surgery is the magic bullet, and none of the issues he's now facing would be an issue any longer?

That might work in the movies, but not in real life. Having ACL replacement surgery not only introduces its own challenges during recovery, but it absolutely does not assure the the stability issues will go away.

In addition, if he had already had the surgery, was well into recovery, and then had the exact same injury/hyper extension that he had yesterday, it is likely that he would still have the same outcome he is facing now.

If a fan belt breaks in your car, you simply replace it with another belt made specifically to replace that belt. With ligaments, you have to replace them with a donor. It would be like replacing your fan belt with a pair of panty hose (if you've ever owned an old VW Beetle). It will work, at least for a while, but will probably have its own set of problems or break again anyways.

TL;DR - a doctor can't wave his magic scalpel and make all your knee troubles disappear. You roll the dice on what the results are going to be, same as rolling the dice on deciding not to have surgery.

They wouldn't use a donor ligament, they take strands from his hamstring braid them together and make new ACL. His hyperextension is the cause of his previous injury, a partially torn/severely sprained acl. Sure surgeries can have complications, rehab can have setbacks, non surgical routes can have setbacks and complications. PSSSSST it just happened!

Back
Top Bottom