Tannehill Kicks Ballage Out Of The Huddle | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Kicks Ballage Out Of The Huddle

I think you give Philbum too much credit. He was not a good coach, and too rigid to change.

When ppl bash RT, I don't think they consider the fact that his first few years he had incompetent coaches, different OCs every year or two, and crepe paper O lines. Hard to succeed under those circumstances.

And despite all that incredibly we had a top 10 offense in 2014. So either Tannehill is the GOAT in disguise or he actually didn't have the worst of everything around him.

maybe Ryan Clark can start a #metoo for rookie players being cussed out by their veteran leaders.

Truly such a horrible thing should not exist in the world of grown up men football players. perhaps Clark should send flower.s

This "respect" thing is justa joke. You earn respect by doing your job, Mr. Clark,

I'll bet Ballage understands thst even if the crew at ESPN never has.
Ballage is a rookie 4th rounder. Respect, lmfao okay. Clark acts like Tannehill did this to Frank Gore.

I’m speculating, but I bet that Gase and Tannehill discussed him being more demanding and vocal in the huddle. With all of our shortcomings last year, the number of mistakes were the most debilitating factor IMO. You had penalties, guys blocking the wrong guy, mis-communications on the O line or secondary, freelancing on the defensive line, etc. It was messy and sloppy. We now have a ton of new position coaches, and for good reason. Honestly, if we can just put together some clean drives, we can win more than people nationally might recognize.

Those mistakes are drive killers. I’d love to see stats on how many drives lead to TD’s where there is a holding call that had to be overcome. I’m going to guess 10-15 percent.

Anyway, I think the primary reason that we have all the new position coaches is to get the mistakes down. But, part of Gase’s portfolio for dealing with mistakes is probably to have a demanding leader in the huddle. I doubt Tannehill just blew up for no reason. He was ticked, for sure, but I’m going to bet that Gase gave him the green light and the concept had been discussed. You know what demanding people have in common? Stuff gets done. Gase has been around winners. Nick Saban, Peyton.

Quick story. Years ago, I went to an Indianapolis training camp when Peyton was in his prime. He was right in front of me. Anyway, he jumped all over the ball boy. I thought he was joking around but he was as serious as a heart attack. Whatever the issue was, he came back to it three times with the ball boy. You know what, the ball boy obviously got it right in the end. And the real issue here is the urgency and seriousness Peyton wanted to practice with. That’s where excellence comes from. Repetition. High standards. And yes a demanding culture.

In the end, that is the Patriots’ signature trait. They do not tolerate mistakes. We need to approximate that.

Last edited:
Penalties, especially pre-snap, have been a major issue again this year, nice that someone is doing something about it

Football is a very physical game. Players tend not to respect soft-spoken leadership styles unless it is backed up with strong play and strong confidence. Players want their QB to take charge. If Tannehill takes the "that's OK, you'll get that block right next time" approach all the time, he will lose the respect of the other 9 teammates on the field. THEY may not want to let Ballage know he needs to learn his blocking assignments before he worries about catching the ball and being the hero … but they definitely want Tannehill to make sure he is completely aware of it.

As @J. David Wannyheimer said, it's not something you do the first time. But if it continues to be a problem, it needs to be called out. I expect the same thing to Gesicki when he avoids blocking. The team demands that everyone be assignment-sound. With rookies and young players (like Cordrea Tankersley and Jesse Davis), there are going to be mistakes, and it is part of the learning curve. But, when they keep making that same mistake … not making sure they fix it is simply not caring that they fail to make the team. Ballage's roster spot is NOT set in stone. He was drafted to be a 3rd down back and special teams ace, which means picking up pass protection is THE skill he needs to show. If Tannehill just takes a 'not my problem' approach … Ballage may get cut. This may be what Ballage needs to get his assignments right.

Sorry to quote myself, but I wanted to follow up. I bolded where I said "I expect the same thing to Gesicki when he avoids blocking." Apparently, that same day, Tannehill chewed out Gesicki for not getting back to the huddle fast enough. Opinions may differ, but I like Tannehill holding everyone accountable.

Wait, an offensive player said something non-complimentary? That can't be right. This is a game of civilized gentlemanly sport! Cheerio! Hip Hip Hooray … and all that.

Typically, defensive players begin their pre-snap banter with the phrase "Excuse me kind sir, but would you mind if I make an astute observation about your mother?" It keeps things cordial.

Interesting that the punishment in Miami is to get kicked out of the huddle while the punishment in Cleveland apparently was to have Callaway play the whole game.
The punishment in Miami is to be traded to Cleveland … like Devone Bess, Brian Hartline, and that guy that used to run short routes and now just tells the world how much he misses Miami by being b**t-hurt in front of reporters.

I’m speculating, but I bet that Gase and Tannehill discussed him being more demanding and vocal in the huddle. With all of our shortcomings last year, the number of mistakes were the most debilitating factor IMO. You had penalties, guys blocking the wrong guy, mis-communications on the O line or secondary, freelancing on the defensive line, etc. It was messy and sloppy. We now have a ton of new position coaches, and for good reason. Honestly, if we can just put together some clean drives, we can win more than people nationally might recognize.

Those mistakes are drive killers. I’d love to see stats on how many drives lead to TD’s where there is a holding call that had to be overcome. I’m going to guess 10-15 percent.

Anyway, I think the primary reason that we have all the new position coaches is to get the mistakes down. But, part of Gase’s portfolio for dealing with mistakes is probably to have a demanding leader in the huddle. I doubt Tannehill just blew up for no reason. He was ticked, for sure, but I’m going to bet that Gase gave him the green light and the concept had been discussed. You know what demanding people have in common? Stuff gets done. Gase has been around winners. Nick Saban, Peyton.

Quick story. Years ago, I went to an Indianapolis training camp when Peyton was in his prime. He was right in front of me. Anyway, he jumped all over the ball boy. I thought he was joking around but he was as serious as a heart attack. Whatever the issue was, he came back to it three times with the ball boy. You know what, the ball boy obviously got it right in the end. And the real issue here is the urgency and seriousness Peyton wanted to practice with. That’s where excellence comes from. Repetition. High standards. And yes a demanding culture.

In the end, that is the Patriots’ signature trait. They do not tolerate mistakes. We need to approximate that.
Great post. Thank you Austin Tatious!

You think Marino would have had this many fans flipping tables for the way he chewed out his teammates if there was internet like this in the 80s/90s?
No because Marino was a hall of fame all pro and top 5 all time QB that put the team on his back and led them to wins for years.

Tannehill is our QB, deal with it. Ballage is a rookie, deal with it. Clark is a dude on ESPN who can say whatever he wants to fill a segment, deal with it. I believe that RT can read a player, a room, a situation. At this point, he knows Ballage can handle it and be better because of it so he went off. Dude set an example and I'll back him until Gase and the FO choose someone else.

National story, get out of here. Typical camp day.

Clark definitely has some kind of bone to pick with the Dolphins and for the life of me I can not figure it out. He completely played Miami years ago in order to leverage more money out of Pittsburgh and has done nothing but trash the organization since then. I wonder if Jeff Ireland did something to him?

Back
Top Bottom