Ted Ginn Jr. | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ted Ginn Jr.

Wow...I doubt I have ever seen a player more overrated.

Comparing Ginn to Glenn? Glenn (90 catches in rookie season) came out of college winning the Fred Biletnikoff award as the nation's top receiver. Ginn never established himself as being an elite receiver in college, but he is ready to do so in the pros? Ginn's mediocre stats were inflated by playing against Northern Illinois and Bowling Green this year. Ginn disappears half his games. In other words, Ginn is not even close to Glenn's abilities at this same stage of their careers.

Also declaring that he is as phenomenal of an athlete as Calvin Johnson...holy cow! Ginn can fly, but he is no where near the athlete CJ is. It would be like comparing Mugsy Bogues to Michael Jordan. Mugsy was faster than MJ, but no way was he close to the same athlete MJ was when looking at the overall package.

If Ginn is so incredible at breaking tackles, along with his speed, how did he end up only averaging 13.2 ypc this year? As far as his return game there is no question...the guy is a stud! But as for WR...his best asset will be his ability to draw double coverage due to his speed and help to open up the field for other players. Assuming he stays healthy enough to be on the field of play. There is a BIG difference in physicality between college and the pros and at 180 lbs...

The reason is because he is a game changer, pure and simple. This is an isolate injury incident, not a recurring one. It has been mentioned several times on this board that if Quinn is at #9, most agree we must take him. Since it is unlikely that he or Russell will be there at 9, it is in the best interest of the Dolphins, value wise, to wait until at least the #40 pick to address QB. As for OL, unless Cameron/Mueller/Houck see Levi Brown as a "Franchise LT", he is not worth a #9 pick for value reasons. There is a fairly large stock of OL in the 2nd round and even later that could have an impact that do not cost the #9 pick. While there are other WRs, the point being made is that his film shows an amazing raw talent that has the ability change the face of a game single-handedly. While you may not agree, that is your right, but his film speaks for itself.

he's overrated.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10413

LOL.

You're right, I have no idea, no contacts and talk rubbish year in and year out.

I'm just glad you were here to shame me in front of everyone.

How did I shame you? I simply said I dont buy it. YOu are obviously respected on this board and I as well appreciate what you and CK and others do.

I JUST DONT BUY THIS PARTICULAR NOTION.

Nick obviously felt more comfortable w/ a perosn who's has been in the system than a rookie who came into camp late . . . and was out of football most of the previous year. It doesn't mean he won't be a good player in this league . . . he really was never givin the oppurtunity . . . and IMO when he was in . . . u definitely felt a presence back there in the form of speed and physicals . . . I am anticipating Jason Allen this year to prove the haters wrong.

sorry but nobody has a reason to be that optimistic about Allen.

Hey Boomer great post as always...I know Ginn played cb in high school but any truth to the rumors about him wanting to play some cb in the NFL? If so do you think he has the ability to play cb....not as a starting cb but maybe as a dime cb

Hey Boomer great post as always...I know Ginn played cb in high school but any truth to the rumors about him wanting to play some cb in the NFL? If so do you think he has the ability to play cb....not as a starting cb but maybe as a dime cb

Ginn has a tremendous work ethic. As the son of one of the best HS coaches in the state, he respects the game and wants to win and contribute to doing that in the best possible manner. That's how the CB stories started. I think he'd like to play some there, but I think Deion, Roy Jetstream Green and Troy Brown will be keeping the lid on their little club.

sorry but nobody has a reason to be that optimistic about Allen.

Did you not seem him play towards the end of the year? he looked significantly better as the year wore on. Most everyone should be optimistic about his chances.

This is FACT how?

Because it makes all the sense in the world not to mention it has been mentioned in other websites. My current list of 1-500 from Fox Sports has him at 28 and the word FALL next to his name. dont make me start listing them here for you, I dont want to waste my time proving obvious stuff here.

Look Boom, I just want you to understand that I know full well Ginn is talented. I just know he is more designed for special teams among many other details i have already mentioned. I stand fully behind my notion that in no way no how in hell will the Miami Dolphins be drafting Ted Ginn at #9.

Just adding my two cents here.....I have no contacts and the like so this is just a football fans of over 20yrs point of view.

I dont like Ginn at #9 or really anywhere in the first round as of NOW...because I feel he has been ducking teams due to an injury,so be it teams have his game film to rate him on I get that.

Boomer your points about his ability to make the phins(any team for that matter)offense more dangerous and perhaps even explosive I agree with and thats what excites me about him.
However his true strength is as a return guy and there is my problam with taking him in the first rnd, many teams can find guys that run fast and use them in ways to open up their best WR or TE,and often times they are not taken in round one because they are not or due not project as a complete WR.
Thats why Ginn is being looked at as a bad choice as a top 10 pick he just doesnt measure up as a WR, he is first a return man who also plays WR.

If I'm wrong so be it if Im wrong and he is a dolphin great, but I feel strongly he will end up mostly a PR/KR that maybe catches 25-30 pass a year.

Because it makes all the sense in the world not to mention it has been mentioned in other websites. My current list of 1-500 from Fox Sports has him at 28 and the word FALL next to his name. dont make me start listing them here for you, I dont want to waste my time proving obvious stuff here.

Look Boom, I just want you to understand that I know full well Ginn is talented. I just know he is more designed for special teams among many other details i have already mentioned. I stand fully behind my notion that in no way no how in hell will the Miami Dolphins be drafting Ted Ginn at #9.

That makes it fact does it?

I'd call that conjecture.

At this time last year, Fox's 1-500 had Winston Justice at 18. Pray tell where he ended up?

At the moment I think it's unlikely that Ginn, unless he can work out at full strength, goes at 9. But I don't think he'd fall much more than 10 picks and I know as FACT - not conjecture - that Miami have a lot of interest in him, flying to Columbus for a special chalk talk with him, this after using one of their 60 interviews in Indy with him. They will also be flying BACK to Columbus for this possible April 15th workout.

Wow...I doubt I have ever seen a player more overrated.

Comparing Ginn to Glenn? Glenn (90 catches in rookie season) came out of college winning the Fred Biletnikoff award as the nation's top receiver. Ginn never established himself as being an elite receiver in college, but he is ready to do so in the pros? Ginn's mediocre stats were inflated by playing against Northern Illinois and Bowling Green this year. Ginn disappears half his games. In other words, Ginn is not even close to Glenn's abilities at this same stage of their careers.

This is the same Terry Glenn that had 15-266 and 0 scores prior to that breakout junior year, his last? The same Terry Glenn that totalled just 79 catches for 1677 yards in his career at OSU? Which is 56 catches less than Ginn and 266 yards less than #7?

I mean, hell, blaming his schedule is funny. Or is that Ginn's fault as well? You also probably forgot that when OSU played Bowling Green, Ginn was one on one with a pretty damn good corner in Kenny Lewis, one of the highest recruited DB's in the state of Pennyslvania.

You probably forgot his 5-97 against Texas and his domination of Aaron Ross, a 1st round corner? Or his 8-104 against Michigan and Leon Hall, many people's number 1 corner. Perhaps you forgot Glenn's domination by Charles Woodson back in '95? Or perhaps you forgot that Glenn's season came whilst playing those 1995 heavyweights, Boston College (4-8 in 1995), Wisconsin (4-5-2 in 1995), Purdue (4-6-1 in 1995), Minnesota (3-8) in 1995, Illinois (5-5-1 in 1995), Indiana (2-9 in 1995) or Pittsburgh, (2-9 in 1995).

You may also have forgotten that Glenn's career game - 9-253 - came against those brilliant 2-9 Pitt Panthers.

My point about the Ginn/Glenn comparison is that they are similar body types, make similar moves, ran similar routes at the same stage of their careers. Yes Glenn quite rightly won the Biletnikoff, but Ginn is easily the more productive and consistent WR during their 3 years in Columbus.

Also declaring that he is as phenomenal of an athlete as Calvin Johnson...holy cow! Ginn can fly, but he is no where near the athlete CJ is. It would be like comparing Mugsy Bogues to Michael Jordan. Mugsy was faster than MJ, but no way was he close to the same athlete MJ was when looking at the overall package.

What a ridiculous analogy. Is he as quick as Johnson? Yes. Will he broad jump or vertical like Johnson? Almost certainly not. Has he got the athletic feet and body control of Johnson whilst moving? Unquestionably? Has he the cutting ability of Johnson? Yes. It's better. Has he been considered for the Olympics? Yes. Has CJ? No. There are more stages of athleticism than just running a forty, broad jumping and doing a vertical.

If Ginn is so incredible at breaking tackles, along with his speed, how did he end up only averaging 13.2 ypc this year? As far as his return game there is no question...the guy is a stud!

As I said in the 1st post, watch the tapes. You'll see him breaking tackle after tackle. You'll also see him draw consistent double coverage with a safety rolling over in '06. But like I said, watch the tapes.

Assuming he stays healthy enough to be on the field of play. There is a BIG difference in physicality between college and the pros and at 180 lbs...

Ah, the old injury point. Not one injury as a collegian or a high school QB, TB, WR, CB, KR, PR. No ligament strains like Johnson, no torn meniscus like Meacham, no seperated shoulder or concussions like Jarrett, no fractured fingers or hyper-extended knees like Sidney Rice, no consistent ankle injuries like Dwayne Bowe. And that comes as a kick and punt returner. So lets dispel this injury nonsense once and for all.

Back
Top Bottom