Ted Ginn Jr. | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ted Ginn Jr.

I am not questioning Ginn's injury history. I am questioning whether a 6' 180 lb player can stay relatively injury free in the NFL. Do you seriously think this is not a concern with every team in the NFL that is thinking about spending their 1st round pick on him? The NFL does not have many 180 lb star players.

All you have to do is look similar NFL WR who have manage to stay healthy for the majority of their career to see that it is possible for a 6' 180 pounder to stay relatively injury free.
Donald Driver 6' 190
Marvin Harrison 6' 185
Torry Holt 6' 190
Chad Johnson 6'1" 192
Keenan McCardell 6'1" 191

Of course these players may be the exception but it is possible for Ginn, Jr to put on some size and strength and still keep his speed.

Yes the same Terry Glenn that had 15-266 an 0 scores prior to that breakout junior year. You seem to leave out some vital details when looking at the career numbers of Glenn and Ginn at OSU. For instance, Glenn started "12" games for OSU in his career compared to Ginn started "30" games. So you are really comparing Glenn's "ONE" year to Ginn's "TWO and HALF" years. The actual career numbers:

Glenn OSU career...12 starts
72 catches 1582 yards 21.9 ypc 17 TD
Ginn OSU career...30 starts
135 catches 1943 yards 14.4 ypc 15 TD

What jumps out? Glenn's additional 7.5 ypc and 2 more TD in 18 less starts.

And you accuse me of leaving out details? You seem to have handily forgotten that Ginn came to Ohio State as the USA Today Defensive Player of the Year, he was Superprep's National Defensive Player of the Year and he was a 2003 and 2004 Parade All American DB.

Note that I said defense and not offense. So whilst his numbers are down on Glenn's, I think it's pretty safe to say that a large part of that is due to the fact that he was a cornerback learning a relatively new position. I mean, hell, the Ohio Offensive Player of the Year award he won in 2003 was due to his play at QB.

He only caught 25 balls his first season and 20 of them came in the last 5 games. He also scored 3 punt returns in that last 5 game span, catching 4-77 at MSU, 5-87 against Michigan and 6-78 at Oklahoma State. And that was on Roderick Maples, Marlin Jackson and Darrent Williams.

Not a bad corner trimuverate for a defensive back to register yards against.

In Glenn's 12 starts, he played 7 losing teams. In those other 5 games, two were against the 7-4-1 Huskies and the 8-4 Hawkeyes. I mean, that Hawkeye game was 56-0 to OSU in the 2ND quarter.

I didn't blame Ginn for the schedule. I merely pointed out his two best games were against lesser opponents.

You really did blame the OSU schedule. Again, let me say that Glenn's biggest game came against a 2-9 team.

I didn't forget Ginn's 5-97 Texas game. I also remember that same game his counterpart Anthony Gonzalez put up 8-142 and 1 TD.

The fact that Texas shifted Ross, a career strongside CB to the weakside to shadow Ginn, should tell you why Gonzalez had the game he did. I know if I'm a WR and I have a choice of being covered by future 1st round CB Aaron Ross or late rounder Tarell Brown, I know what I'm choosing.

The fact is, as I said before, my comparison of Glenn and Ginn isn't stats related. You handily chose to ignore that.

The ridiculous analogy was to point out the ridiculous comparison of Ginn to Johnson. Football is not an Olympic sport. There have been plenty examples of Olympic athletes (sprinters) who have attempted an NFL career with limited success. The athleticism should be looked at relative to their position. When it comes to speed, size, positioning, hands, blocking ability which all have to do with athletic ability and skill the only area Ginn stacks up well against Johnson is speed. I never said Ginn wasn't fast bc he "IS!" But that doesn't mean he is as phenomenal an athlete as Johnson relating to the position as your original post indicates.

Athleticism relative to position? So CJ's broad jump is relative to his future NFL career is it? I'm not denying Johnson's freakish athletic ability, merely - and I do so hate repeating myself - saying that there are a lot of parameters to measure athleticism with. And yet AGAIN, I point to not just the speed, but the feet, the cutting ability, the body control. All fall under the athleticism umbrella, just like a broad jump does. Please remove your blinkers.

I am not questioning Ginn's injury history. I am questioning whether a 6' 180 lb player can stay relatively injury free in the NFL. Do you seriously think this is not a concern with every team in the NFL that is thinking about spending their 1st round pick on him? The NFL does not have many 180 lb star players.

Steve Smith - 5'9, 181.

Warrick Dunn - 5'9, 180.

Yet again I point to the fact that he's never been hurt. And yet bigger guys - Johnson, Bowe, Jarrett, Meacham, etc. have all missed time due to serious and semi serious injuries.

I am not saying Ginn sucks or anything of the sort. What I am saying is that IMO his game is not worthy of being the #9 pick in the draft. Unless the Dolphins are in the position of using the #9 as a luxury pick to improve our return game which we are not.

So if Miami aren't interested as you intonate, why have they expended so much vnergy on him?

Taking Ginn at #9 may be pretty risky, but trading down a couple of slots and taking him is a great idea to me. Great re-examination there Boomer.

The fact that Texas shifted Ross, a career strongside CB to the weakside to shadow Ginn, should tell you why Gonzalez had the game he did. I know if I'm a WR and I have a choice of being covered by future 1st round CB Aaron Ross or late rounder Tarell Brown, I know what I'm choosing.

Most things I have seen have Brown going in the late-2nd or 3rd round.

I'm pretty sure Brown was suspended for the OSU game, which would further bolster your point.

Why are people afraid of ginn staying healthy he has been injured ONCE in his high school/college carrer and thats because his team mate basically made his foot go horizontal

Most things I have seen have Brown going in the late-2nd or 3rd round.

I'm pretty sure Brown was suspended for the OSU game, which would further bolster your point.

He's also just been arrested again, hence the fall.

Boomer, please tell me the whole of VIP is laughing their tails off at the trade Zach Thomas for a 2nd rumor/poll in the other forum. Please.

If you signed up - which you SHOULD - you'd see.

It came in good faith from a rado conversation, but no-one is taking tje validity of it seriously. They're looking at Al Wilson being shopped and then putting 2+2 together and coming up with 87.

It won't happen. Cam and Randy are re-tooling, not re-tarded.

If you signed up - which you SHOULD - you'd see.

It came in good faith from a rado conversation, but no-one is taking tje validity of it seriously. They're looking at Al Wilson being shopped and then putting 2+2 together and coming up with 87.

It won't happen. Cam and Randy are re-tooling, not re-tarded.

:sidelol::sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: Oh thank you man. You have no idea how much I needed that this morning.

Funny about the little things, ey? I'm ready to face the traffic hell that is Miami now, all due to one quip. Thanks again.

Why are people afraid of ginn staying healthy he has been injured ONCE in his high school/college carrer and thats because his team mate basically made his foot go horizontal

Because WR's are high risk when it comes to the draft in the first round. and yes injury plays into it because he is.....well......injured. High ankle sprain. Just because he was not injured before in a watered down league compared to the NFL, doesnt mean the injury bug wont start to happen once he is paid millions and is going against MLB who would love to crush his *** if he goes over the middle.

which i hear is not what he is good at. which to me says, he is one or two dimensional and is not a complete WR ---> he is a special teamer first!

I will say this to all of you right here and now and you can hold me to it if you care to dare like myself.

Anthony Gonazalez will have a better long term career than Ginn.

which i hear is not what he is good at. which to me says, he is one or two dimensional and is not a complete WR ---> he is a special teamer first!

So you're actually basing your assessments, your diatribes over the last 29 or so pages on "what you hear" and not "what you see"????

Because WR's are high risk when it comes to the draft in the first round. and yes injury plays into it because he is.....well......injured. High ankle sprain. Just because he was not injured before in a watered down league compared to the NFL, doesnt mean the injury bug wont start to happen once he is paid millions and is going against MLB who would love to crush his *** if he goes over the middle.

I will say this to all of you right here and now and you can hold me to it if you care to dare like myself.

Anthony Gonazalez will have a better long term career than Ginn.

Alot of ginns big plays came from slant routes which happen, to go right down the middle of the field .

oh man i just watched the tedd ginn highlight film on youtube and when this kid puts his head down NO ONE COMES CLOSE to touching him without a good angle. if quinn doesnt fall this is our guy!!!

So you're actually basing your assessments, your diatribes over the last 29 or so pages on "what you hear" and not "what you see"????

Hey Boom dont get all worked up when these guys cant enjoy the imput you and CK provide, there are others like myself that enjoy every article you guys do.
I´m quite sure there are others that enjoy them as well. So keep up the good work and remember you are loved on this forum.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom