Tell me what it was like- 1972/73 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tell me what it was like- 1972/73

Greatest football team ever, where do you start?

I’ll start with Don Shula, greatest coach ever. Those teams were the least penalized teams every year, thanks to Coach.

The offensive line was the heart and soul of the team. They dominated the games. They opened holes you could drive a truck through. Csonka was the truck. He wore defenses down. One person was not tackling him. Mercury Morris was the race car. He took advantage of big holes and tired defenses.

Griese was smart and accurate. Warfield was fantastic, he was an all time great wide receiver. Howard Twilley had great hands. He was a nice complimentary player. Kiick was a good receiving running back.

The defense had a very good defensive line. Manny Fernandez, Bill Stanfill, and Vern Den Herder were a tough group to run against.

The safeties were the stars on defense. Jake Scott and Dick Anderson intercepted so many passes. I think Anderson had 6 on a Monday night against the Steelers.

That team was so much fun to watch. Remember, they never lost. Still the best team I have ever seen play.

The 1970s was a crazy time. I had just turned 58 in 1972 and had just started watching football. You have to remember things were much different, there were still dinosaurs roaming the country side and dolphins could stand up on there flippers and walk around and they could also talk quite well. Some were even bilingual. Everyone thought the NY Jets was a funny name for a team because Jets hadn't been invented yet. If you wanted to fly some where you had to catch a flying dinosaur or a dragon. I remember after the super bowl a T-rex attacked a Redskin's cheerleader and ate her in the parking lot, but everyone was so happy we won the game that no one noticed. Ahh the good ol days.

I personally was too young, and though I was not really officially a Dolphins fan, I did like them, and rooted for them in the SB, but honestly I did not enjoy 1972 and 1973 as much as I could have. At least I saw both those games, so I do have some memories of them.

My best friend was a Steelers fan, and I actually enjoyed that win more then the SB.

The game against the Redskins and the 49ers, I was far more, well...Fanatical.

The lose against the Redskins hurt far more then the loss against the 49ers, because we could have, should have won that game, while the 49ers game was not as big a deal, because with Dan, we would be back many more times, and win most of them...If I only knew.
The Skins loss was devastating. Had we won we would have stolen the game as they beat us in the trenches all day w their bigger, more physical lines. That said, our pass D was awesome and ST and we got the big pass play on O. Theisman doesn’t make that great PBU and we win. Just shows how fine the line is in winning and losing the SB can be. Quite a few have been decided on 1 play such as Seattle-NE for example

Greatest football team ever, where do you start?

I’ll start with Don Shula, greatest coach ever. Those teams were the least penalized teams every year, thanks to Coach.

The offensive line was the heart and soul of the team. They dominated the games. They opened holes you could drive a truck through. Csonka was the truck. He wore defenses down. One person was not tackling him. Mercury Morris was the race car. He took advantage of big holes and tired defenses.

Griese was smart and accurate. Warfield was fantastic, he was an all time great wide receiver. Howard Twilley had great hands. He was a nice complimentary player. Kiick was a good receiving running back.

The defense had a very good defensive line. Manny Fernandez, Bill Stanfill, and Vern Den Herder were a tough group to run against.

The safeties were the stars on defense. Jake Scott and Dick Anderson intercepted so many passes. I think Anderson had 6 on a Monday night against the Steelers.

That team was so much fun to watch. Remember, they never lost. Still the best team I have ever seen play.
Possibly the smartest team ever as well

Very different game back then. Went to my first game in 71 and have been hooked ever since. The early 70's Fins were extremely well balanced. They could throw the ball effectively, but typically didn't need to with that "punch them in the mouth" running attack. Strong defense, aggressive D line and great run stopping LB's.

In one of those Superbowls, Griese only threw about 6-8 passes....that is how dominating the team was. You expected them to win every week and they almost always delivered.

One of my best recollections of those teams was how bruising of a runner Csonka was. He had a patented move when he was running and about to have contact with a defender, he would move the football to the non-contact side of his body...not to prevent a fumble.....but to free up his arm on the contact side to lay a hit on the defender. He was a tough man to tackle

The Skins loss was devastating. Had we won we would have stolen the game as they beat us in the trenches all day w their bigger, more physical lines. That said, our pass D was awesome and ST and we got the big pass play on O. Theisman doesn’t make that great PBU and we win. Just shows how fine the line is in winning and losing the SB can be. Quite a few have been decided on 1 play such as Seattle-NE for example
This…a few posts earlier referenced the Sea of Hands game as the worst loss they experienced…Super Bowl XVII was devastating. If Bokamper shields Theisman from that Pick Six, their run game was over if he scored….and that would’ve been the third title. The 1994 loss at SD was brutal as well…Stoyo…:rolleyes:

The 1970s was a crazy time. I had just turned 58 in 1972 and had just started watching football. You have to remember things were much different, there were still dinosaurs roaming the country side and dolphins could stand up on there flippers and walk around and they could also talk quite well. Some were even bilingual. Everyone thought the NY Jets was a funny name for a team because Jets hadn't been invented yet. If you wanted to fly some where you had to catch a flying dinosaur or a dragon. I remember after the super bowl a T-rex attacked a Redskin's cheerleader and ate her in the parking lot, but everyone was so happy we won the game that no one noticed. Ahh the good ol days.
You turned 58 in 1972?

Dag, you really ARE a seasoned veteran.

This…a few posts earlier referenced the Sea of Hands game as the worst loss they experienced…Super Bowl XVII was devastating. If Bokamper shields Theisman from that Pick Six, their run game was over if he scored….and that would’ve been the third title. The 1994 loss at SD was brutal as well…Stoyo…:rolleyes:
I agree - these are the 3 most brutal losses and in that order. Up 24-13 in the 4th pits Riggins on the bench and plays into the hands of our pass D who frustrated Theisman all day (2 picks) until that very last drive at the end. Hard to blame Kim but yeah just needed to box him out - likely didn’t know he was there. Was easily Theiman’s best play of the game - a PBU go figure

I agree - these are the 3 most brutal losses and in that order. Up 24-13 in the 4th pits Riggins on the bench and plays into the hands of our pass D who frustrated Theisman all day (2 picks) until that very last drive at the end. Hard to blame Kim but yeah just needed to box him out - likely didn’t know he was there. Was easily Theiman’s best play of the game - a PBU go figure
Ya, when I’ve brought myself to watch those highlights…I think he was simply watching the ball….it was simply dread from that moment on…our offense stunk that day…the outlier play early to Cefalo then nada, he stayed with Woodley too long.

Back
Top Bottom