Tell me what it was like- 1972/73 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tell me what it was like- 1972/73

First Football Game I ever Watched was the 1971 Christmas Longest Game ever against KC, I was 7 and said to My Brother that Who ever Won this Game would be My Favorite Team. The Rest is History for Me.
I was home on leave from the military during that game. I went on my first date ever with the woman who has now been my wife for the past 49 years. I missed the overtime part of the game because I was driving to the Fontainebleau on Miami Beach to have dinner and watch Paul Anka perform.

I watched as much of the game as I could and we barely made it in time to eat before Paul Anka performed. Once I found out that the Dolphins had won the game. I told my future wife that I wanted to go to Miami International Airport and see the Dolphins come home.

She looked at me like I was crazy because they weren’t due to arrive until close to midnight and we were both dressed up in formal type attire. I didn’t know her very well at the time and yet I was able to convince her to go to the airport instead of going home after we left the Fontainebleau.

We got to the airport and waited a little over an hour for the Dolphins arrival. We looked completely out of place because of the way we were dressed but seeing them arrive and being part of the many fans who showed up to cheer their return after beating the Chiefs is still one of the highlights for me as a long time Dolphin fan.

My wife was not a football fan when I met her but I think she realized after that first date that football was a passion of mine. Eventually she grew to love the Dolphins and the Hurricanes and we eventually attended over a combined 500 football games over the next 44 years.

Because of some health issues I stopped attending games at the stadium nearly 5 years ago but we still enjoy rooting on the Dolphins and Canes from the comfort of our home now.

It was exciting to being a DOLPHIN fan living in Miami then. It wasn't only winning- a close win was considered a bad game and highly criticized. I remember Griese breaking his leg and thinking that was the end of the season. Everyone was surprised that Earl Morrall continued the streak. He was amazing. Old bones on one play ran for 28 (?) yards for a first down and it was wild. I miss those days.

I was born in 1974 so of course did not get to see that great team play. I like to hear stories of where you were, what it was like, what did you do/ buy in the aftermath of the Super Bowl wins.

I was 10 when they last played in the Super Bowl and I was a kid just out playing with friends when I went into a friend's house and his dad had the game on. I of course was not a big football or Dolphins fan yet, but I can remember cheering for them with his dad for a few minutes at least before rejoining my friends outside.

I hope to hear better stories than that!
Lots of coke, hookers, and booze.

I was home on leave from the military during that game. I went on my first date ever with the woman who has now been my wife for the past 49 years. I missed the overtime part of the game because I was driving to the Fontainebleau on Miami Beach to have dinner and watch Paul Anka perform.

I watched as much of the game as I could and we barely made it in time to eat before Paul Anka performed. Once I found out that the Dolphins had won the game. I told my future wife that I wanted to go to Miami International Airport and see the Dolphins come home.

She looked at me like I was crazy because they weren’t due to arrive until close to midnight and we were both dressed up in formal type attire. I didn’t know her very well at the time and yet I was able to convince her to go to the airport instead of going home after we left the Fontainebleau.

We got to the airport and waited a little over an hour for the Dolphins arrival. We looked completely out of place because of the way we were dressed but seeing them arrive and being part of the many fans who showed up to cheer their return after beating the Chiefs is still one of the highlights for me as a long time Dolphin fan.

My wife was not a football fan when I met her but I think she realized after that first date that football was a passion of mine. Eventually she grew to love the Dolphins and the Hurricanes and we eventually attended over a combined 500 football games over the next 44 years.

Because of some health issues I stopped attending games at the stadium nearly 5 years ago but we still enjoy rooting on the Dolphins and Canes from the comfort of our home now.
Amazing story! Hope you both have many happy years left cheering on those fins and seeing another great moment.

Ya, when I’ve brought myself to watch those highlights…I think he was simply watching the ball….it was simply dread from that moment on…our offense stunk that day…the outlier play early to Cefalo then nada, he stayed with Woodley too long.
Had we been down at the half I think Strock gets in to start. Strock plays in the 2nd half I also think we win. Woodley didn’t complete a single ball in H2

Ya, when I’ve brought myself to watch those highlights…I think he was simply watching the ball….it was simply dread from that moment on…our offense stunk that day…the outlier play early to Cefalo then nada, he stayed with Woodley too long.
To this day, I do not understand why Woodley was kept beyond the second quarter/half. Strock used to piss Shula off with his gunslinger nature, but seriously Woodley was a painful QB to watch outside of his mobility.

LOL....I actually feel a bit better reading this thread that not everyone on here is in their 20's. Lots of old guys like me in their 50's.

Those early 70's teams were great memories, but we have been living off them for a long time. Time to make some new positive memories.....

Thank you for posting this. It brought back many many great wonderful memories. A time of Nixon, Viet Nam, hippies, Beatles, huge wood TV cabinets with a black and white 21 one inch screens with vacuum tubes and Rabbit ears antennas. Living in SW Miami at that time, we used to go outside and play football after each game. And almost everyone had a number 12, or 39 Dolphins Jersey. Football was king! No basketball, no baseball..... it was football, and more football.

Game was extremely different. Power running. Dolphins well coached and great Offensive line. Bob Griese was terrific. I think in some ways he was our best QB ever. Skill no. Danny had Bazooka. But Danny made way more mistakes than Bob. Bob was field general who could read a defence. Watch highlites of his preformance vs Cardinals on thanksgiving. Should have won in 1974 but Sea of Hands still haunts.

That one year we finished tied for 1st with Baltimore and we didn't make the playoffs sucked .I think it was 1977

LOL....I actually feel a bit better reading this thread that not everyone on here is in their 20's. Lots of old guys like me in their 50's.

Those early 70's teams were great memories, but we have been living off them for a long time. Time to make some new positive memories.....

Agree. I was born a few weeks after Woodstock. The one thing I remember about football in the 70's was the Vikings and their outdoor stadium.

It wasn't until the epic playoff game v San Diego (Jan 1982) that the phins appeared on my radar.

It was tricky being a Dolphins fan here in the 80's & 90's. Everyone was a niners, donkeys, cowboys, or raiders fan.

Recently, NFL network was showing America's Game "the 72 Dolphins"... I had forgotten Manny Fernandez played collegiately here at my alma mater

I remember Bruce Hardy (from the SL Valley) playing for the phins. I even met him once when I was in Jr High.

I was more impressed meeting Bruce than Steve Young (at a Byu game) as his career was starting to ascend

Back
Top Bottom