The Dolphins are on the Cusp of Becoming an NFL Championship Dynasty | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins are on the Cusp of Becoming an NFL Championship Dynasty

Beyond this year and our Super Bowl aspirations, I think Coach McDaniel and Chris Grier are a once-in-a-generation pair of partners in the arena of pro football. From some videos that I've seen (like the moment of Achane's draft and Coach's recounting of Hill's trade to the Finz), it is plainly apparent that these two work well together and it bodes well for the future.

I fully expect the Miami Dolphins will be the NFL's next team that establishes itself as an NFL championship dynasty because of our coaching staff and front office.

...one game at a time, of course.

Realistically, a number of teams have been on the cusp of a dynasty, but failed. Part of the reason, like it or not, is luck. Luck in draft picks, UDFAs, FAs, making the right choices on who to keep, who to release/trade, . . .
This is a pre-SB-winning team. Mcd and Grier have to prove they can successfully navigate all the above. Look no further than Armstead

The most recent and extreme example of a dynasty has passed away and is now six feet under. That one was down to two factors - a great coach and an all-time great QB. And we see now that realistically, it was the QB. But that coach is unquestionably an incredible defensive mastermind who is still putting together impressive defenses. And those defenses were more important to that dynasty than is typically recognized just due to the QB.

The current Chiefs have to be considered a dynasty, as we speak. Once again, thereā€™s a great coach leading the way with a QB who will take his place as an all-timer. They are in the midst of a streak of five straight AFC Championships at home, 3 Super Bowl appearances, and two wins. Yet, there are some cracks showing this season, mainly due to questionable personnel decisions. Still, any game with Mahomes at QB is a game that the Chiefs can win.

We have some interesting pieces in place right now. We tend to forget that we hired Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie under Chris Grier. Without any inside information, it is pretty obvious that these hires have had a massive impact on player acquisition. Starting with the 2020 draft, weā€™ve acquired Tua, Austin Jackson, Robert Hunt, Raekwon Davis, Blake Ferguson, Jaylen Waddle, Jaelan Phillips, Jevon Holland, Liam Eichenberg, and Deā€™Von Achane. Weā€™ve traded for Tyreek Hill, Bradley Chubb, and Jalen Ramsey. Weā€™ve signed some excellent values in free agency in David Long, Deshon Elliott, Braxton Berrios, Kendall Lamm, Connor Williams, Raheem Mostert, Duke Riley, and Alec Ingold. That is an incredible track record of player acquisition since Grier, Allen, and McKenzie started working together.

We have an ascending head coach. Heā€™s nowhere near the level of a Belichick or an Andy Reid. It took those coaches years to reach their apex. Maybe McDaniel can get there at some point.

Then thereā€™s the biggest key to it all - the QB. if all goes according to plan, we are going to see Tua as a playoff QB for the first time. Mahomes has been Mahomes since he took over. Brady was something of a passenger in the early days. It will be interesting to see how Tua performs. He has the talent, the intelligence, the coaching, and the quality players surrounding him. Heā€™s starting to pile up an impressive W-L record, even though it tends to escape the public consciousness.

If we can find a way to secure the #1 seed and get to the Super Bowl this season, there is an excellent foundation in place at the three most important levels - the front office, the coaching staff, and QB. There is no telling what a Super Bowl appearance or win would do for the franchise. Having the Dolphins at the top of the league again makes the franchise the most attractive landing spot in the NFL. With the right people on the front office selecting the players to continue building, a dynasty is possible. But it hinges on Tua. The kind of Tua that beat the Ravens in 2022 and led the game-winning drive against the Cowboys last week.

I would love for this to be true, but shouldnā€™t winning a playoff game for the first time in 23 years, let alone a Super Bowl, be a prerequisite before being declared on the cusp of a championship dynasty?

In my book, need to win at least 2 SB within a span of 3 years with a core group of players before ever throwing the word ā€œdynastyā€ out there for discussion.
No!

First, we should get into the playoffs - Done!

Second, we should get as high into the playoffs as possible, before they start! - Getting done the next two games.

Third, then we win some playoff games! - We will see once the playoffs begin!

Forth, then we get into the Superbowl!

Fifth, then we win the Superbowl!

Sixth, then we need to put up with all the "Lemming" droppings those poor, demented posters will be putting out about how "lucky" we were and that we won't even make the playoffs next year.

Beyond this year and our Super Bowl aspirations, I think Coach McDaniel and Chris Grier are a once-in-a-generation pair of partners in the arena of pro football. From some videos that I've seen (like the moment of Achane's draft and Coach's recounting of Hill's trade to the Finz), it is plainly apparent that these two work well together and it bodes well for the future.

I fully expect the Miami Dolphins will be the NFL's next team that establishes itself as an NFL championship dynasty because of our coaching staff and front office.

I do agree the HC and GM work well together. I do think we will win a Super Bowl and be in contention for the next several years. But there have only been 3 dynasties in nfl history. Steelers, 49ers, & Pats.

We're not really even on the cusp of winning 1 SB or 2, let alone being a dynasty, unless you're talking about the players or office personnel being like a soap opera.

So...while I love what we've done, I am worried about the future. We are over the cap by 30 million and only have 37 players on the roster. We have not been able to draft the replacements for the older, expensive players. We desperately needed Tindall, Eazy E and Cam Smith to get into starting roles, but they can't seem to do it. We are also short on draft picks this year.

View attachment 157769View attachment 157770
Well... if we win the superbowl we will likely pick near the 2nd in the 1st... so we kinda lose our 1st but we gain a higher 2nd pick (because the 1st becomes a high second)... shift the 2nd to the 3rd... shift the 3rd to the 4th and voila! Now a full slate of picks :cheers:

Damn I'm tired.

You are "quick witted," aren't you. - LOL
No, their two decades of relative dominance are truly "in the can". - LOL
I guess thatā€™s the reason my shares of Orchids of Asia dropped in value. šŸ¤£

This is the type of post that jinxes an entire organisation. Just quit it

This front office seems to be able to identify difference makers. The Hill trade, in particular, has really transformed this franchise. But there are difference makers on both sides of the ball.

Assembling quality depth is showing up big as well, especially on the offensive line.

McDaniel is innovative and a rare breed at head coach. The job he and Barry have done with all the injuries on the offensive line can't be understated.

Miami will have difficult choices to make in the offseason, and will lose some quality players, but have to feel good about the future if the team can keep core players together.

I don't think Miami is currently constructed to be a dynasty. Salary Cap is about to explode in Miami's face. They have this year and next year to win a ring before they have to start hitting on draft picks and reset the salary cap.

Im not usually a fan of sometimes inflated combine stats as opposed to ā€œwhat did you do on the field.ā€ Especially 40 times. Way back, Ronnie Brown killed the 40ā€¦ fastest time at the combine. However, it didnā€™t translate to the field, where he was routinely caught from behind. That said, this offense, in general depends on a #1 receiver who is a scary deep threat. While I love Waddle, he is not Tyreek. So, if Iā€™m CG, I pay close attention to 40 times, as clearly, behind both Waddle and Hill there is a lack of a deep threat. We canā€™t bitch if Grier finds a small school receiver with a two sub 4.3 times with good hands, and selects him early, even 2nd round. Hill has said heā€™s prolly good for 2 more seasons. The 2024 draft finally affords the Fins to replace a couple expensive depth playersā€¦ and oft injured OLinemen with fresh bodies. Time to draft, not necessarily trade for expensive FA.
for sure we can not trade for any more high price players.....we need to keep our picks as we're going to need good players on rookie deals

I have as much faith in Miami's future as any team's in the league. I agree that Grier and McD work well together and I see McD and Tua as a pairing that can be a league standard for the next decade +.

I believe that the hand wringing about the cap is over blown. We'll lose some guys, retain most key guys and find/add additional depth. IMO retaining OL and DL will be the priorities.

I feel the complaining about McD lacks context. He's not perfect, but no coach is. He makes fewer mistakes than most. And his innovations are arguably the best in the league. I wouldn't trade McD for any other HC.

My biggest long-term concern is Fangio. I'm not sure how long he'll coach and he'd be almost impossible to replace.

I'm also not in the "can't think about that until we win one" camp. The players and coaching staff shouldn't but we fans absolutely can. I'm all about enjoying the moment and the current ride, but I also feel that regardless of whether this game or this season turns out how I hope, our future is very bright.

Back
Top Bottom