The Dolphins have #5, #18 and #26 in the first round | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins have #5, #18 and #26 in the first round

Ireland made his mistakes here like any young GM would, but Miami never let him learn from them and improve so he's done that in NO and has been a tremendous asset for them.

I always felt like Ireland was a smart man and a hard worker, very under rated as a football mind by Dolphins fans, much like Ryan Tannehill.

He's a scout. A really, really good scout. He runs the Saints scouting department for the past 5 years or so, and he was actually nominated for a FO award by his management, and he won. It helps he pounded the table for two draftees who ended up being the DROY and OROY... not a bad day!

GM is such an expansive job. If you're bad at one aspect, you're bad at the whole job. Its why Im happy with a guy like Reggie M. coming to Miami to help Grier. I trust Grier and I trust Reggie at certain things - I've seen Grier turn over EVERY STONE POSSIBLE at all times, and Ive seen Reggie go balls deep on prospects that wind up being game changers, like Mack. Reminder - Clowney was universally graded above Mack, except for VERY few instances. One of the more vocal guys was Reggie. Just because they've struggled at the ENTIRE job doesn't mean they can't be valuable in other aspects ala NO and Ireland. Its smart.

I'll take that type of intuition. This isnt a science - you're dealing with players that can be universally lauded as the safe prospect, the top prospect... and he just sucks. He's mentally weak or he's just injured all the time. YOU. CANT. HELP. THAT.

we need big moves. We need to take shots. ITS HOW YOU WIN.

Based on his numerous injuries since he has been with the Dolphins, his subpar play this past season when he was in the lineup and his huge salary, I don’t see any team in the league offering a first round pick for Howard.
I think they would be lucky if they could unload his salary for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

If Miami offered Howard up for trade, they'd get 3-4 phonecalls in an hour offering a 1st. Miami would never, ever move Howard. You know what you have in him.

What on earth do you people think Grier and crew are thinking? They'd resign him and because of one injury that we frankly overblew to put him on IR.... and then they'd TRADE HIM? Grier isnt a meth head... his decision making always seems to have an overall plan/pattern. He's earned that respect. Y'all are just throwing **** against a wall.

Ireland made his mistakes here like any young GM would, but Miami never let him learn from them and improve so he's done that in NO and has been a tremendous asset for them.

I always felt like Ireland was a smart man and a hard worker, very under rated as a football mind by Dolphins fans, much like Ryan Tannehill.
Ireland was always ok which is why we were mediocre and not bad, but he could never find a QB. Easy to look good when your biggest weakness is constantly being covered up by having Drew Brees on the roster already.

If Miami offered Howard up for trade, they'd get 3-4 phonecalls in an hour offering a 1st. Miami would never, ever move Howard. You know what you have in him.

What on earth do you people think Grier and crew are thinking? They'd resign him and because of one injury that we frankly overblew to put him on IR.... and then they'd TRADE HIM? Grier isnt a meth head... his decision making always seems to have an overall plan/pattern. He's earned that respect. Y'all are just throwing **** against a wall.
He's missed 24 games in 4 seasons. There is a trending pattern every team would be wary of. Oh and also the domestic abuse matter.

He's missed 24 games in 4 seasons. There is a trending pattern every team would be wary of. Oh and also the domestic abuse matter.

From what I can read, the domestic abuse matter is solved both civilly and criminally. Any reason to suspect there would be any punishment for it going forward? or are you saying it's a trend as well?

This latest injury wouldn't worry teams. Everyone knows what Miami was doing there.

Regardless - it's all a moot point. Arguing Miami would trade away a player they just provided with rather substantial guarantees over 3 years will never happen. It'd be a sign that our GM has absolutely no idea what he's doing as a basic level.

Do you realize how many games he has missed during his 4 years with the Dolphins? It‘s great to have a CB as talented as Howard but he just can’t seem to stay healthy. It has been one knee injury after another since his first year in the league. If it was only one injury I would agree with you but perhaps you need to go back and see how often he has missed games over the past four years before you just conclude he has only been injured once.
Is he a great CB when he is healthy? Yes he is. The issue is after a number of injuries to his knees, will he ever be great again? I just question if he can be a player who can justify the money the Dolphins are paying him by remaining healthy and playing 16 or more games a season. We will see.

<<I would agree with you but perhaps you need to go back and see how often he has missed games over the past four years before you just conclude he has only been injured once.>>

Where did I say this? You mightve misread or I mightve misspoke, certainly not at all what I was intending. The only injury I hand wave is this most recent one. It seems the word throughout the locker room was it was a move like the Baker IR - save your young established talent for next year, not this year.

There's certainly an argument for it, I just cant see Miami trading away their most talented defender. Injuries are a fair point, though.

Did I say the domestic was trending?

If you think teams wouldn't be wary of his time missed over his career regardless, I don't know what to tell you. He's played one full season and that was the only time he played at a top level. One year out of four does not make him worth what we gave him.

I'll leave my thoughts on Grier out of it. :locktopic:lol:

Daytona -

Little surprised at the hostility. I was pretty clearly asking you to clarify your statement on his domestic abuse stuff. Maybe re-read it.

edit:
I mean...

From what I can read, the domestic abuse matter is solved both civilly and criminally. Any reason to suspect there would be any punishment for it going forward? or are you saying it's a trend as well?

Yes. You implied it. Which is why I ask for a clarification!

Last edited:
Isn’t it great we traded two pro bowlers to pick 18 and 26th? What a ****ing clown show Grier is. Fire him yesterday.

it’s even better we won games to build “culture” and miss out on a generational talent like burrows. Maybe we can get a guy in a wheel chair and have that Alabama homer brought on to change his bed pan?
I can see you haven't skipped a beat...

This latest injury wouldn't worry teams. Everyone knows what Miami was doing there.

Regardless - it's all a moot point. Arguing Miami would trade away a player they just provided with rather substantial guarantees over 3 years will never happen. It'd be a sign that our GM has absolutely no idea what he's doing as a basic level.
Grier still has to prove he does know what he is doing, as far as I am concerned. The reality is he traded two Pro Bowl players for late first round draft picks and it is going to be very difficult to find players that late in the first round as talented as Fitzpatrick and Tunsil.
As far as the argument that Fitzpatrick demanded to be traded goes. I blame that 100% on Flores and his inability to see that Fitzpatrick should have been allowed to play one position as he requested. You don’t trade away your best player on defense simply because you are too stubborn to accept the player just wants to play one position. Especially when your defensive concept that players need to play multiple positions wasn’t successful anyway.

Daytona -

Little surprised at the hostility. I was pretty clearly asking you to clarify your statement on his domestic abuse stuff. Maybe re-read it.
Wasn't being hostile, I just was noting the off the field incident. I've been out of the loop on the that case since it happened so I don't know what happened with it.

Wasn't being hostile, I just was noting the off the field incident. I've been out of the loop on the that case since it happened so I don't know what happened with it.

All good brother!

Ultimately the irony is, we all get a little heated discussing these little details but the overall point is... WE HAVE PASSION! For a team that's sucked! And it FEELS like we can make it out of this rut weve been in (for 20+ goddamn years)

Also - to give folks more ammo about trading Howard... We knocked off 10.5 guaranteed this past season, dropping it from 28 to 17.5. That's near the same number for OBJ's cap hit. Hm.

Last I heard/read..Jeff's in New Orleans, so i'm not sure how he's doing. Now Rick Spielman..assuming he's still the GM in Minnesota..was our GM, and I know he's hit on some studs there..can't remember his hit/miss rate with us.
Ireland is not doing great in NOLA. He’s not even the GM. This narrative is false. And if he is doing the job of the GM, I would say that Biegel for Kiko was stupid on his part as was Stills to us for a no 2. Jazzy Jeff sucks and isn’t doing squat. He’s a glorified assistant GM paper pusher. He once thought Danielle Ellerbe and that other horrific LB were better than Dansby and Burnett and made that move the year of picks and money - which netted us Dion Jordan, Will David, Jamar Taylor and a number of other players that wouldn’t start in the Lingerie League. He sucked here. He sucks there. Let’s see if gets a true GM job again. **** him he was the worst.

Back
Top Bottom