**The Fire Larry Coker Thread** | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**The Fire Larry Coker Thread**

the only thing kyle knows how to do right is stare down his receivers so the other team can see where he is throwing

MikeO said:
This Miami football program has problems that go deeper than just 1 man/coach.

It's a dying football program in a conference with a lot of young/upstart football programs on the rise.

Miami brought their program back from the dead once in the mid-90's. I don't see them doing it again. I think this is a collpase that they won't get up from. Were talking SMU type of stuff!!!! This could get ugly down there. You can make a case that South Florida has passed them as a football program inside that state!!!

(They are like SMU, but not in terms of death penalty stuff in 1987, but in terms of they were a solid program in 1995 but the switching of the conferences from the SWC to the WAC just ended up being the death of their program. I think Miami moving out of a nice home in the Big East where they had tons of success to the ACC in a time span with an unproven head coach was/is the perfect storm for destruction of that program. That is too big a move to make without strong leadership at the top)

Did u watch the game? This team has a top 5 defense, with a good/great running game. Our FG kicker hit a 55 yarder and our punter is above average/good. Our problem on this team lies squarely on the shoulders of Kyle Wright. He just isn't capable . . . and I think it has alot to do with this sorry excuse for a coaching staff. Kyle is still staring down his receivers, not able to feel the pressure properly, not making good decisions. He is unable to move the offense . . . and this is with a solid running game. Yea he doesn't have Andre Johnson or REggie Wayne at WR, but even if he did, it wouldn't matter because he can't make plays. Think about it, we scored 20 points against Duke . . . In contrast Va Tech put up 36, Virginia put up 37 . . . the inept offense of FSU put up 51 points against them . . . and we put up 20? We held Va Tech to 150 yards of TOTAL offense, and we lost. We set them up with 2 INT's inside of our 30 yard line.

And I think its obsurd to compare us to SMU . . . are u kidding me? U don't think, with the type of recruits we have down here and a head coach who can bring it, that we will neve compete for a national title again? I agree, never with Coker, but if we get a halfway decent coaching staff, we will be just fine . . . look at that defense . . . almost everybody on that defense is gonna be drafted, u don't think that is gonna attract some kids here still? Look at the history, the titles . . . the location. C'mon Mike, I know u deeply hate UM, but its really starting to affect your judgement in your analysis.

However, if they decide that academics is the way route over good football, and that seems to be the motto for Shalala and company, then you are right its gonna get ugly. She has to step up and really make some moves this offseason, and if Coker is still here next year . . . the program really could be in a topspin that could take a long time to recover from.

23Ronnie23 said:
the only thing kyle knows how to do right is stare down his receivers so the other team can see where he is throwing

Does he ever check down? I mean I watch him after the hike, and his head never turns, he just looks at his man the whole time and he could be triple covered he still tries to throw the ball. Honestly, he sux, but thats coaching . . . he has really regressed here at the U, and I can't really blame him for that.

Trekbiz said:
A lot of people said that about USC and Notre Dame just to name a few.

Everything runs in cycles. Yes they've fallen pretty hard, that's obvious, but to say they can never return to be a Natl. power is poppy****. They bring in one good coach/recruiter and everything can turn around completely.

1) ND and USC didn't swtich conferences
2) ND and USC dont have to compete with 3 other major football programs within their very own state like Miami does.
3) The "image" of the school being an outlaw program with kids who aren't let's just say "good people" works against them as well.

Miami has more things working against it than those oether schools you mentioned. Not all programs return to national powers after big falls. Look at Nebraska for an example!!

Kdawg954 said:
Did u watch the game? This team has a top 5 defense, with a good/great running game. Our FG kicker hit a 55 yarder and our punter is above average/good. Our problem on this team lies squarely on the shoulders of Kyle Wright. He just isn't capable . . . and I think it has alot to do with this sorry excuse for a coaching staff. Kyle is still staring down his receivers, not able to feel the pressure properly, not making good decisions. He is unable to move the offense . . . and this is with a solid running game. Yea he doesn't have Andre Johnson or REggie Wayne at WR, but even if he did, it wouldn't matter because he can't make plays. Think about it, we scored 20 points against Duke . . . In contrast Va Tech put up 36, Virginia put up 37 . . . the inept offense of FSU put up 51 points against them . . . and we put up 20? We held Va Tech to 150 yards of TOTAL offense, and we lost. We set them up with 2 INT's inside of our 30 yard line.

And I think its obsurd to compare us to SMU . . . are u kidding me? U don't think, with the type of recruits we have down here and a head coach who can bring it, that we will neve compete for a national title again? I agree, never with Coker, but if we get a halfway decent coaching staff, we will be just fine . . . look at that defense . . . almost everybody on that defense is gonna be drafted, u don't think that is gonna attract some kids here still? Look at the history, the titles . . . the location. C'mon Mike, I know u deeply hate UM, but its really starting to affect your judgement in your analysis.

However, if they decide that academics is the way route over good football, and that seems to be the motto for Shalala and company, then you are right its gonna get ugly. She has to step up and really make some moves this offseason, and if Coker is still here next year . . . the program really could be in a topspin that could take a long time to recover from.

I disagree. Your only 5 wins this year came against Houston, UNC, Duke, FIU, Florida A&M. And you only have 1 road win. If you didn't play as many cupcakes as you do then you might have only 1 or 2 wins all season!!!! And your under .500 inside your conference (the worst conference of all of the major one's). And you close with Maryland, UVA, and BC. Well, you might be UVA, but that isn't a given and this Miami team might not even be bowl eligable!! You can't pin that on 1 coach and 1 quarterback.

The fact you are bragging and propping up you PUNTER and KICKER just shows how far this program has fallen. They struggle vs the likes of Duke. Lose to a VT team that isn't any good. Get destroyed by L'ville. You are getting embarassed in bowl games losing 40-3 (then starting a brawl of course)

The problems are deeper than a coach and a quarterback.

Time will tell though. We will see who's right eventually. I'm sticking to my guns. I feel confident on my analysis of this stuff

MikeO said:
I disagree. Your only 5 wins this year came against Houston, UNC, Duke, FIU, Florida A&M. And you only have 1 road win. If you didn't play as many cupcakes as you do then you might have only 1 or 2 wins all season!!!! And your under .500 inside your conference (the worst conference of all of the major one's). And you close with Maryland, UVA, and BC. Well, you might be UVA, but that isn't a given and this Miami team might not even be bowl eligable!! You can't pin that on 1 coach and 1 quarterback.

The fact you are bragging and propping up you PUNTER and KICKER just shows how far this program has fallen. They struggle vs the likes of Duke. Lose to a VT team that isn't any good. Get destroyed by L'ville. You are getting embarassed in bowl games losing 40-3 (then starting a brawl of course)

The problems are deeper than a coach and a quarterback.

Time will tell though. We will see who's right eventually. I'm sticking to my guns. I feel confident on my analysis of this stuff

True, but I bigged up the defense and the running game as well, I was pointing out that everything seems to be solid except the QB position and the WR position (passing game). When u see players not only not improve but regress from year to year (ala Kyle Wright), then that has a whole lot to do with coaching. Yes switching to the ACC was a mistake for this program under its current state, but this is the type of program that can make a turnaround from adverse sitations.

you confuse me sometimes, mikeo. you've bashed miami for switching to the ACC because it's not as simple as the big east was, but lately you've been saying how dominant the big east is now compared to the ACC. so....which is it?

and it's really ridiculous to think miami won't be back. they're going to get a great coach who can recruit, they got a TON of talent in the area (AND get tons of out-of-state talent), and the ACC isn't that great. i could see them winning the conference next year depending on the coach. nothing far-fetched about that at all.

Wow, I knew this thread would have a bunch of new posts this morning.

It is really amazing how bad UM has fallen this year.

I had not watched many of their games, but wow Kyle Wright is not good. Which is surprising to me. I thought he looked pretty good last year.

I still think this team is just in total disarray. Not sure if you can blame it all on the coach, but he definitely does not have ANY control of this team. You can just see it in the way they carry themselves on the field.

Being a gator fan, I almost enjoy seeing UM down, but after the Zook years I just feel sorry for the UM fans. Us Gator fans know the pain of having a horrible coach. It sucked. Just know you will be back. Like FinKat said, too much talent in your back yard not to rebound. Just may take a few years.

UF Fin Kat said:
you confuse me sometimes, mikeo. you've bashed miami for switching to the ACC because it's not as simple as the big east was, but lately you've been saying how dominant the big east is now compared to the ACC. so....which is it?

and it's really ridiculous to think miami won't be back. they're going to get a great coach who can recruit, they got a TON of talent in the area (AND get tons of out-of-state talent), and the ACC isn't that great. i could see them winning the conference next year depending on the coach. nothing far-fetched about that at all.

don't you brag about having me on IGNORE. Why are you even reading my posts????

Kdawg954 said:
True, but I bigged up the defense and the running game as well, I was pointing out that everything seems to be solid except the QB position and the WR position (passing game). When u see players not only not improve but regress from year to year (ala Kyle Wright), then that has a whole lot to do with coaching. Yes switching to the ACC was a mistake for this program under its current state, but this is the type of program that can make a turnaround from adverse sitations.

Oh they can make a turnaround. But they will NEVER (yes NEVER) be at the level they once were.

Which was year in and year out preseason Top 10 and a national title contender. Those days are over. THey are no longer a national power and won't be.

UF Fin Kat said:
:lol: so you just make things up as you go along, i figured as much.

This is from the VIP area said by YOU on 10-15-2006 at 9:50am in the thread titled LEINHAN AND THE RAMS. It's post #54 in that thread

UF Fin Kat said:
this thread inspired me to add mikeo to my ignore list. :)

who's making stuff up now?? :0wned:

yeah i removed you yesterday because you had like 5 posts in a row in one thread and it was getting confusing.

you still haven't defended your statements about miami's move being bad because the ACC isn't as weak as the big east and then turning around and changing your mind.

UF Fin Kat said:
yeah i removed you yesterday because you had like 5 posts in a row in one thread and it was getting confusing.

you still haven't defended your statements about miami's move being bad because the ACC isn't as weak as the big east and then turning around and changing your mind.

THIS YEAR the ACC is weaker than the Big East next year that could flip-flop. Honestly I don't even understand what you are asking me your question is very confusing. I haven't switched my opinion on anything.

The move (in general) was bad for many reasons. None of which has anything to do with which conference is stronger THIS YEAR!

Miami isnt fallen apart..its just a down year like everyone one else had at one point in the nation..USC,OU,ND,Florida,Florida State, Ohio State and others ALL had average years before....everyone bounced back with great records, championships, and everything else..NO ONE can compare Miami to SMU..thats crazy..Miami is NOT a SMU..Nebraska has the same championships as Miami..and what does SMU have?

Back
Top Bottom