The Jets in a landslide... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Jets in a landslide...

IMO I think it is Jets. I see it like that and so does all the big boys that do football shows Sunday.

Bryan A., I don't know if you are saying "senior", meaning grandpa or what but I have been watching the NFL since I was 7 years old and everything I have learned about the game of football has been installed in my head first from family, then playing it myself. Internet polls? Geez, that is really accurate. Like I said before, the Jets are our #1 rival.:evil:

Originally posted by minus

What other fact do you want other than...........

It depends on who doing better at the time ?

Uh no. Rivals NEVER change. That's why they are called rivals. The Broncos and Raiders will ALWAYS hate each other despite records. The phins will always hate the Jets.

Marino, O'Brien. Monday Night Miracle. Hell we have more historically significant games with the Pats then we do the Bills. In fact I can't name one historically meaningful game against the Bills.

My grandfather is 71 and has been a Fin Fan since the day they became a team. I am 25 and every since I can remeber he has hated the Jets more than any other team. Ask him who the Dolphins biggest rival is and he will tell you the Jets.

And by the way he has never even touched a computer

From 1966 until 1983 the Buffalo Bills never won a game in Miami.. How in the hell can you build a rivalry on that ? But this is the reason why the Bills despise the Dolphins franchise.. The Bills were the doormat of the NFL for a long, long time before the players got the rights to move around and the salary cap came into the picture in the mid 80's. Every team except for the Dynasty teams such as the Dolphins, Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, and a few others benefited from the moves made in the 80's by the NFL and the NFLPA. It made a more competitive league and got the Bills of the front porch. So if you are too young to remember the Dolphins perennially beating the crap out of the Bills and the Patriots you will not understand why these teams do not exist in the greatest rivalry of the Dolphins. If you live to see Rutgers give U of Miami some competition in Football you will understand.

In the NFL, parody is king. Every team now has a shot from year to year. Even the Bengals could surprise you next year. But other than the Cleveland Browns which is born out of the creation of the franchise along with the location, the Bengals will never have a "great rivalry" with any team. Sure, Bengal fans hate the Steelers, but the Steelers fans do not know they exist....

It is the Jets. Why? Because so many NY'ers call Miami home. Because Joe Namath made the guarrantee while Miami was a newborn loser. Because Miami knocked the Jets off that lofty perch some 30 years ago. Because there has been competition in the rivalry for all 33 years. Because in the free market a jet/dolphin ticket sells for $100 plus dollars in both locations.

It is the biggest rivalry because the majority of the ticket holding fan base could find some sanctuary in 2-14 as long as they defeated the Jets/Dolphins in both games. That's what makes a rivalry.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Uh no. Rivals NEVER change. That's why they are called rivals. The Broncos and Raiders will ALWAYS hate each other despite records. The phins will always hate the Jets.

Marino, O'Brien. Monday Night Miracle. Hell we have more historically significant games with the Pats then we do the Bills. In fact I can't name one historically meaningful game against the Bills.

Well the intensity of the rivals change depending on how team performing and so on.How about the year the Bills beat the Fins in the AFC championship game in the early 90's.

"Rivals NEVER change"

Jets,Bills and Patriots are all our rivals and your point is ....If you meant to arch rival then there not enough history behind any of the Dolphins rivals.I just talk to my dad and his friend and according to their opinion the rivalry between any of the team listed back in those days wasn't as good as some people point it out to be.Last year the team I hated the most was the Jets because they were 8-0 but now I'm beginning to hate Bills fans more and more again.Bills so far base on paper like the toughest opponent and they swept us last season.I just believe the tides will change from Jets to Bills soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by VanDolPhan

I can think of one....the AFC Championship Game after the 1992 season, when the Bills beat us 29-10 in Miami, was historically significant because a) it kept alive the Bills' 4-game Super Bowl losing streak and b) it represented the last time in Marino's career that he got that close to the Super Bowl. Maybe it's a reach, but I think that game did have some importance, regardless of how ugly it was.

I guess when I look at our division rivals I hate the Jets the most, but that's just my opinion.

Be honest with yourself. 1992 was during a time when the Dolphins had nothing but Dan Marino. We were going nowhere. In the realm of history, the only thing 92 offered was Marino's last shot. Which is sort of a sad beginning of the end of a great career. Nothing I want to celebrate in historical context.

Leading rusher Mark Higgs-Parmalee would take his job the following year.

An aged Duper and Clayton-off the team in 1993.

Although we did have a good linebacking core with Offerdahl, Cox, and Hollier.

Our competitiveness in the 90's relied on the arm of one man.

Originally posted by zachseau13
Check out this article:

http://www.nfl.com/insider/story/5723970

Article just explain how heated the rivalry is right now but that beside the main point of this whole thread.
I never denied that Jets are most heated rivalry right now.I just explain that last season there one team I hated the most and that was NY Jets.I just think it works in cycle and Bills rivalry will be on the rise again.Considering all those thing JT said about city of Buffalo(Which I agree with JT comments).I can't imagine how hyped up Buffalo fans will be for the game up in Buffalo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by minus

Considering all those thing JT said about city of Buffalo(Which I agree with JT comments).I can't imagine how hyped up Buffalo fans will be for the game up in Buffalo.

I agree that to the Bills the Dolphins are the # 1 rival.

But not to the Dolphins.

That would be the Jets.

Read the article carefully.

It gives the history of the rivalry from the 1980's until today.
It also tells you that the Jets are the only AFC East team to have a winning record against the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom