The Jets in a landslide... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Jets in a landslide...

Originally posted by zachseau13

I agree that to the Bills the Dolphins are the # 1 rival.

But not to the Dolphins.

That would be the Jets.

Read the article carefully.

It gives the history of the rivalry from the 1980's until today.
It also tells you that the Jets are the only AFC East team to have a winning record against the Dolphins.

Well I gues my theory wil be tested in the next couple of year if the Bills are really on the rise and Jets are really on the decline.Another thing is will be intresting to find out what Jets fan think is their arch rival.

Let's go to the definition of Rival

n.
One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.
Obsolete A companion or an associate in a particular duty.
v. ri·valed or ri·valled, ri·val·ing or ri·val·ling, ri·vals
v. tr.
To attempt to equal or surpass.
To be the equal of; match: "They achieved more than they had ever dreamed, lending a magic to their family story that no tale or ordinary life could possibly rival" (Doris Kearns Goodwin).
v. intr.
To be a competitor or rival; compete.

Now are we talking about the greatest rivalry over time? A team that has rivaled Miami for over 30 years? Or arewe just talking about the past decade ?

http://greatsportsrivalries.com/nfl_teams.html

The web site dedicated to sports rivalries. Check out their greatest NFL rivalries in the middle of the page. Out of all the possibilities with 32 teams in combination where does the Dolphins/Jets rank ? Taking in context with the rivalries aside it I think two words define the entire thread.

NUF SAID !

Last edited by a moderator:
If we are talking the past year.....biggest rivalry is the Jets.
If we are talking the past decade.....biggest rivalry is the Jets.
If we are talking since the beginning of dolphins history the biggest rivalry is the Jets.

I don't see how there can be any other rivalry and this comes from a phin fan who lived in Southern Ontario only 90 minutes from the Bills during their heyday.

Can't have a rivalry that contains no adversities or no real historic games against a franchise that has only a small history of even putting together a winning product. Getting beaten in a playoff game doesn't make a rivalry. Heck if that was true then the San Diego chargers would be a bigger rivalry then the Bills and even more so as it's a historic game.

We have more of a history with teams in other divisions then we do with the Bills. ie: the broncos

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Pats fan I Hate (hate makes a team a rival)

jets,fins,bills,steelers,colts,raiders,broncos,ratbirds,browns,bingels,
rams,skins,eagels,packers,bears,vikes,49ers,bolts,bingels,bucs,
cowboys,ants,seachuks,chefs................

I Hate them all

I have to agree that it's whoever is giving us competition at the time. I remember when NE was our big rival in the late '70's. The Colts never were. They probably hated us, but it wasn't reciprocal

The interesting thing is that through all the years after our infancy, the Dolphins have been the constant. In the early '70's no one even challenged us. The Patsies did in the late '70's, the Jills in the early '80's, the Yets in the mid to late '80's, the Jills again in the 'early to mid-90's, now the Yets again. Through it all, there was always Miami. We've had a few down years, but no one can doubt that we've been the class of the Division.

Exactly...

Which is why all the bums in the AFC east look at Miami as their rival..

I think this just digressed into smack talk....

I'm not throwing smack. Well, maybe a little with the modified nicknames, but that's really small stuff. Smack is really more like insulting the city or insulting the character of the other teams' players and fans.

It's simply a fact that we've been the most consistent team in the Division.

Originally posted by Miamian
I have to agree that it's whoever is giving us competition at the time.

No that's a "competitor" not a rival. Rivals are long term things guys. They don't come down to one game or even a year really. Rivals are long time deals.

To me what is takes for a major rivalry is for the two teams to hate each other. not the fans. That makes more sense to me. That is how they started in the first place. I can remeber the Broncos and the Raiders hating each other soooooooo bad. It would end up in a fight or something almost half the time. That to me is a rivalry. Of course no one in the NFL fights anymore because it is so frowned on and they get fined so much also.

It dosen't matter WHO is the hot team giving the Fins trouble, it's a rivalry, it transends what the record of the teams are at the time, it's bigger than that. it's when the Jets are 3-10 and the Fins are 10-3 and it's a battle to the end with cheap shots and fighting and hard fought physical battles.
A rivalry is blind to who is the hot team or who's the better team.

It's the Bears and the Packers
the Bronco's and Raiders
the Cowboys and Redskins
the Browns and the Steelers
and YES the Dolphins and the Jets.

There maybe temperary rivalries, like the Cowboys and 49ers had for a while but they fade away, but the TRUE rivalries NEVER fade, NEVER forgive and NEVER END!

A rivalry is saying "I DON'T CARE IF I'M 2-13 AND YOU'RE 13-2, I'M GONNA KICK YOUR A$$!!!!!"

So for those who don't understand what it meens to have a rivalry, I hoppe I explained it well.
And it's not the Bills.

That may be true, but this is more about who our biggest rival is right now and that ebbs and flows with the fortunes of all our rivals. It's more commonplace in college to have the type of rivalry in which one or both teams may suck that year and it's still fervant.

Of course its the JETS!!! Dont you remember the commercial with the dolphin fan with zacks jersey sitting in the Jets bar!!! Then standing and screaming yes!
Jets/dolphins and now the pats and the bills are going at it!!
All-time definitely the JETS..late 80's and 90's definitely the Bills only b/c they were whinning....sorry winning!

Originally posted by Miamian
That may be true, but this is more about who our biggest rival is right now and that ebbs and flows with the fortunes of all our rivals. It's more commonplace in college to have the type of rivalry in which one or both teams may suck that year and it's still fervant.

It doesn't matter if they are 1-15 this year.....it's still the Jets and that is what you guys are missing. What your still talking about is 'competition' not rivalry.

Come on even the jokes we have as phin fans center around the Jets. It always has been and always will be about the Jets.

All of the fans who keep refrencing the great Broncos Raiders rivalry are a little mistaken. That is a great rivalry, which has been fueled in recent years by the success of both teams, and the broncos hiring Shannahan, make no mistake about it, the Raiders biggest rivals are the chiefs. The broncos biggest rival might be the raiders, and but the raiders biggest rivals are the chiefs. The chiefs biggest rivals are the raiders. It's truly an epic rivalry dating back to before the merger. The chiefs have had a couple down years lately, and the broncos have been consistenly in the playoffs, I think has caused this misconception.

I don't understand the argument that the bills couldn't have been great rivals to us during the 70's cause they went 0-20 against us, but the jets are great rivals for us now because we went 1-9 against them. Aren't those two statments complete opposites of each other? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom