The Jets in a landslide... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Jets in a landslide...

Originally posted by mls737
I don't understand the argument that the bills couldn't have been great rivals to us during the 70's cause they went 0-20 against us, but the jets are great rivals for us now because we went 1-9 against them. Aren't those two statments complete opposites of each other? :confused:

Well perhaps because your not remember that the Bills pathetically sucked that entire time. It's like saying you won 20 in a row against the Bengals. While still a good achievement it would be pretty one sided.

In the case of the Jets they were always beating a good team while they sucked and we were always getting miffed at being beaten by an 'inferior' team. Not to mention the Monday Night Miracle is part of that. Voted one of the most historic games in NFL history.

Originally posted by minus

I disagree ....

Buffalo always been Miami biggest rival.The Jets rivalry has taken off since Miami was on that long losing streak against the Jets.

the jets rivalry was strong in the 80's beginning with the AJ Duhe AFC champoinship game:lol: , and lets not forget those 48-45 shootouts including the likes of marino(of course ;) ), o'brien, al toon, clayton and duper, wesley walker, freeman mcneil, crash jensen. damn, those games were frustrating. marino would lead the fins down the field for a score, picking up HUGE chunks of yardage at a time, in what seemed like < a minute only to watch the defense give it right back.

Finally, a Jet fan will add to the discussion. I will say that the Dolphins are the Jets' biggest rival, and vice versa. I live in South Florida, and my many Dolphin friends hate the Jets with a passion, and start to boil when I taunt them. There is a deep hatred between the 2 teams, that no other team can equal. Sure the Bills may be rivals, but I don't think it's the same. When Parcells left NE, a rivalry was born with the Jets, and it is still strong with Bellichick there now, but it is not near the level of Miami. AND BY THE WAY, to the poster at the beginning of the thread who stated it as fact that the Jets are now on a decline... You may not think they are SB contenders, hell, you may not think they're playoff contenders, but how are they on the decline? They went 8-4 with a 26 year old QB starting last year. It's not like the Oakland Raiders with 8 guys ovr 35 starting. Whether you think they are a great team or not is your choice, but on the decline? Because they lost 1 emerging WR the franchise is in disarray? If you say so...

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

the jets rivalry was strong in the 80's beginning with the AJ Duhe AFC champoinship game:lol: , and lets not forget those 48-45 shootouts including the likes of marino(of course ;) ), o'brien, al toon, clayton and duper, wesley walker, freeman mcneil, crash jensen. damn, those games were frustrating. marino would lead the fins down the field for a score, picking up HUGE chunks of yardage at a time, in what seemed like &lt; a minute only to watch the defense give it right back.

I personally think it's the jets.

The phins fans would lean towards the jets because when they were winning they talked so much smack. They were loosers and we couldn't beat a bad team.
The bills fans think it's the Phins. We have always been there rivals becaouse we stomped on them for an entire decade. Even when they lost:lol: 4 straight SB's they never really handled us.

Either way...

:jetssuck: :billsbite :nesucks:

Originally posted by Miamian
That may be true, but this is more about who our biggest rival is right now and that ebbs and flows with the fortunes of all our rivals. It's more commonplace in college to have the type of rivalry in which one or both teams may suck that year and it's still fervant.

I don't see anywhere that says it's exclusive to recent years. I agree that if both teams are having good seasons, that it increases the rivalry they may have, but when one or both of those two teams are down the rivalry decreases. But in the same respect there are rivalries that go beyond the obvious media hyped, rating boosting, temporary rivalries.

For example, the Pats and Fins, when one or both teams are down that year the "rivalry" isn't that strong, nobody really cares, but if both are challenging for the division title then yes the rivalry strengthens, but only because there's a title on the line and both teams are playing very good.

With the Jets there seems to be more bad blood between the two teams than any other, more of a history of shootouts and blowouts and surprise wins that fuel that fire. and it's been there as far back as the late 70's.
Don't get me wrong I feel the Bills are a big rival, just not as big as the Jets.
As far as the level of passion for a rivalry goes,it maybe more common place in college but none the less it's not any less fervant in the pros.

All i can say is i hate the stinkin Jets WAY more than i hate the Bills. At least i can respect the Bills (sometimes) i hate the Jets with every bone in my body!

Yah but if we are throwing rivalries around so loosely then the Pats/jets/bills are big rivals just because they are in our division which is pointless to even call it a rivalry because of that. Some are saying recent history.

Well heck if we go by somewhat recent history then I'd say the Raiders are a rivalry, the broncos are a rivalry that was almost dying off since Marino/elway retired but hey one cheap shot on Chambers and a tough out win and hey 'rivalry' again (think I'm off base on that....then why is it the only out of division fans that visit here are Denver/Raiders fans). Heck if we are going to throw around rivalry so freely then the Saints are a rivalry and hell we haven't played them........just the free agency/trade front battles (Williams, Knight, Gandy/Freeman/Turley talk)

See why I don't like the word "rivalry" being thrown around so lightly. It's because an excuse could be made for half of the league which cheapens a rivalry.

Exactly, I mean not every team in the NFL has an arch rival. With 5 team divisions there was always an odd man out. Take the old NFC central where the Pack Bear rivalry is the mother of all NFL rivalries. What about the other 3 terams i never looked @ det minny as an especially heated rivalry and Tampa had no arch enemy. Rivalries can cross divisional lines but in the NFL having two games is almost a must to generate the kind of hatred that creates a rivalry. The jets bills and pats go back to the old AFL what if any of those rivalries carried over to the AFC and the NFL. We came along 6 years later into a league with alot of rivalries already in place. And that is my point because of geographical proimity I think the Boston NY is a given for reasons beyond football and the FINs bills rivalry because we stomped them so mercilessly early in our team history. As far as i can remember the Bills were always our mortal enemy and arch rival, these things dont change.

Maybe the FINs are so good we are hated by everyone. I think of two recent TV commercials. The guy driving his Dolphin mobile through buffalo drawing snowball fire and the guy wearing the Zak jersey cheering the FINs in a jets bar. Even the media is ambiguous on this topic. To me our rivalry with the bills was cast first and therefore the true rivalry. When I was a kid growing up in the late 60s and 70s it was always the bills if thats changed because of recent history I am not on that bandwagon.

And by the way the jets lost more than a WR, over the last two years your front office has dismantled a championship roster put together by Bill Parcells gone are

Green, Glenn, Coleman, Young, Coles, Thomas, Anderson, Morton, hall, Turk and a LB I cnat remember the name of. Are you aware that Glenn had 5 picks for 181 yards and two TDs for Houston last year and most of these plauers are making big time contributions with their new teams. hermaphridite and sadway are fools last 3 1st rounders

moss=bust

thomas=bust

KINtucky fried fatboy (if recent history is any indicator)=bust

First of all, why are you talking about Green , Glenn, Coleman, and Young? That was LAST year, and they obviously recovered ok from those losses (AFC East Championship). PLUS. Glenn is the only guy I really miss out of those 4. Next point... Coles is a big loss, no doubt, I was one of his biggest fans. BUT Conway is a serviceable pro, and if Moss continues the development of the end of last season, the dropoff will not be that bad. Nutten=Thomas. Anderson had talent, but he also had a penchant for fumbling in key times, like playoff games, and BJ Askew is basically the same thing as a rookie out of Michigan. I don't think the balance of the NFL ever turned on a kick returner. Hall was average at best, and Turk was horrible last year. They lost Darling, 4th LB, you can see clips of him getting absolutely broke by Priest Holmes at the end of the KC game. That is why they drafted Victor Hobson. Moss is not a bust, as he is probably the best PR in the league, though he does have a lot to prove this year. It is far too early to call Thomas a bust. he lost something like 25 pounds because of a dental operation. Henow has gained it back, and will hopefully contribute. So Robertson is a bust before he even signs a contract? What recent example? Richard Seymour? Sure there are busts but to say that he is already is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever seen.

The only thing i can agree with on the previous drawn out post (and agree with Jets fan is not a habit of mine).. is that Moss IS NOT a bust. That guy is going to be amazing and its just too darn bad he plays for a team like the Jets.

Thanks meth, and P.S. Moss had more receiveing TD's than a certain Chris Chambers last year, plus 2 PR TD's.

like mcgahee, santana moss went from a great college

athlete to the NORTH-SIDE... so i hope he is a bust...

Dont thank me.. i only agreed with you because i like Moss and he is a friend of mine.. Once a cane always a Cane.. (that is Moss' saving grace)

Back
Top Bottom