The Myth of the First Round QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Myth of the First Round QB

SEE "DAN MARINO"

Obviously a quarterback must be the only hope for any franchise right? It worked so well for Dan. All you people are doing is arguing a point which can never be won. This team sucks from the top to the bottom, from the owner, to the kicker... Andrew Luck is NEVER going to fix what is wrong here, I don't care how many statistics you throw up - Frankly, if you cant protect your quarterback, you better have Matt Moore back there... or Tyler Thigpen - or MiKe Vick... you need a QB that can run for his life.

And 99% of the people screaming for Andrew Luck, has never seen the guy play.
You mean the Dan Marino that made us competitive for the SB each and every year he played despite the lack of support? That Dan Marino? Tired comparison lacking any context whatsoever, right along side the "Ryan Leaf fallacy." Face it, if you don't think 1st round QB is the way to go, you are as knowledgeable about the NFL as the past few staffs that have failed here. Supporting staff around the QB is what gets a team over the hump. A QB CREATES the hump in the first place. Period.

After reading all of this, there is only one answer..... draft luck #1 then trade the rest of our draft, plus next years #1 and draft barkley #2...... should be a cant miss!

SENT FROM A BADAZZ MOPHO

The responses to threads like this tell you exactly whom you need to put on "ignore."

Money wise, no. Although the number one pick will include a good amount of guaranteed money. However a number one pick gets 3 years usually to prove himself. So it's still the same kiss of franchise death per se to miss out on the qb in the first round.

Exactly. This is what makes taking a franchise QB who busts such a franchise killer. The Bills gave up their 2005 first rounder to take Losman in the first in 2004. Matt Schaub lasted until the 3rd round in 2004. Aaron Rodgers was still on the board when Dallas used the first rounder they got from the Bills in 2005.

You would think by now Miami would have tried drafting a QB in the 1st rd by now. Since passing on 1st rd QBs, relying on other teams' trash, and trying to build around a LT has netted Miami nothing but mediocrity.

Exactly. This is what makes taking a franchise QB who busts such a franchise killer. The Bills gave up their 2005 first rounder to take Losman in the first in 2004. Matt Schaub lasted until the 3rd round in 2004. Aaron Rodgers was still on the board when Dallas used the first rounder they got from the Bills in 2005.
But it's just as much of a franchise-killer to have a roster of inadequate QBs, regardless of where they were drafted.

It's definitely much safer to wallow in mediocrity until you get lucky with a decent QB from some other round.

The mere fact that the failure of a franchise QB attempt can "destroy" a franchise for a couple of years is actually more proof of how important the position is. Boom or Bust, but the Boom is absolutely worth the risk versus continued mediocrity with the occasional/rare playoff appearance, at best.

Ok let do it this way I don't just want one Superbowl win i want 2 to 4 wins. Out of the multi Superbowl winning QB's 70% are 1st round picks. There have been 10 buy my count 3 that are not 1st rounders Starr 17th rd pick, Montana 3rd rd pick, and Brady 6th rd pick. 1st rd picks, Stauback, Bradshaw, Griese, Plunkett, Elway, Aikman, Roethlisburger. I'll take the 70% chance on winning more than 1 Superbowl.

Cam Newton signed a four year deal worth $22 million. Relatively speaking, that's not a big investment for an NFL franchise. it might set you back a year or two, ut IMO, not a franchise " killer"

It's not the offensive scheme. It's about having a good teacher for your young QB. Mechanics, defensive reading, communication with his WRs, adjusting the OL protection... having a good gameplan obviously helps, but all those other things are IMO much more important.

Henne was a fairly decent prospect, he just never flourished into what he could become. That's on the coaching staff.

Is it any coincidence that Griese and Marino happened both under Shula? Sure, they had the tools. But they mean nothing without proper coaching. Hell, the man made serviceable QBs out of Don Strock and David Woodley ffs...

Maybe it's the QB or the QB coaches, but don't discount the offensive scheme. Conservative, defensive-minded coaches like Sparano tend to like low-risk offenses that stress making no mistakes and wait for the other team to make a mistake. They're the guys who like "game manager" QBs because they don't want to throw downfield more than necessary. Dink-and-dunk passing. That gets a team FGs not TDs because defenses catch on and crowd the LOS. Bills fans were there and saw that for 3+ years with Jauron as HC.

I don't think that kind of offensive scheme can succeed these days. Defenses are too sophisticated and the successful teams today sure aren't afraid to stretch the field. They pass to set up their running games. Some of the most successful, like Green Bay and New England, have running games almost as after-thoughts. You can't really judge a QB playing in this kind of system because it's so limited that it sets him up for failure.

BTW, that kid Andy Dalton in Cincy seems to be the real deal. I think that that's what the Dolphins should look for in any QB: smarts, leadership, desire. I think these intangibles factor in a lot more than big arm and hype. He got a little rattled, but then settled down in the second half.

Wisconsin's Russell Wilson looks like that kind of QB, too, if the Phins were looking for "sleeper" at QB.

Anyhoo, there are lots of holes, so the Phins should go BPA. If that's a QB, fine. If not, don't take a QB just to take one.

You mean the Dan Marino that made us competitive for the SB each and every year he played despite the lack of support? That Dan Marino? Tired comparison lacking any context whatsoever, right along side the "Ryan Leaf fallacy." Face it, if you don't think 1st round QB is the way to go, you are as knowledgeable about the NFL as the past few staffs that have failed here. Supporting staff around the QB is what gets a team over the hump. A QB CREATES the hump in the first place. Period.

what i am saying is, take dan marino and stick him in here and guess what? we still suck... Do you or anyone here honestly think that if drew breeze came here, that we would have gone to the super bowl? NOT A CHANCE.

Who honestly knows how good Check Down Chad Henne is? He has Bess to throw to and thats it... Brandon Marshmellow is a waste!!! This teams problems dont start with the quarterback (he may be in the conversation tho) and wont be solved by simply replacing the quarterback. Someone needs to post all the 1st rounders that were busts.

As soon as Andrew Luck can block for himself, catch a TD pass without dropping it, stop the run, get some pressure on the other QB, and cover a receiver, then I will join the Suck for Luck goofballs and believe that if only we had andrew luck, all our problems would be solved.

If all it took was great QB play, Marino would have 10 rings.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

what i am saying is, take dan marino and stick him in here and guess what? we still suck... Do you or anyone here honestly think that if drew breeze came here, that we would have gone to the super bowl? NOT A CHANCE.

Who honestly knows how good Check Down Chad Henne is? He has Bess to throw to and thats it... Brandon Marshmellow is a waste!!! This teams problems dont start with the quarterback (he may be in the conversation tho) and wont be solved by simply replacing the quarterback. Someone needs to post all the 1st rounders that were busts.
It would be one hell of a start. You START with the QB, then build the team around him. The solution BEGINS there. I have over a decade of evidence that shows that you don't compete NEARLY as often doing the opposite. What do you have? The rare exception?

Yes, if Dan were here, we would be competitive DESPITE the morons on the sidelines. You clearly undervalue the most important position in football. BY FAR the most important.

And most realists know exactly how good "check down" (funny that you say that right after stating that you don't know how good he could be) Chad Henne is. Career backup/journeyman starter. Mark it down.

Regarding all the 1st round "busts," would you mind posting all the other round busts right next to it? That's the only way it can be effective. Better include UDFA's as well.

Hell, by that mindset, why don't we trade out of the first every year? Stock up on mediocrity with the very rare lucky break. Wait, we already do that by simply drafting second round positions in the first round. If we were truly savvy, we'd trade away all our picks and just grab UDFA's! Kurt Warner was a UDFA, so it has to work!

We've done it your way (/Sparano's way/Cameron's way/Saban's way/Wanny's way/JJ's way) for the past decade. It fails. It's the recipe for mediocrity (or worse) with the occasional *** beating in the first round of the playoffs. How about we go with what actually works, by drafting the most important position in the game in the round with the most talent?

As soon as Andrew Luck can block for himself, catch a TD pass without dropping it, stop the run, get some pressure on the other QB, and cover a receiver, then I will join the Suck for Luck goofballs and believe that if only we had andrew luck, all our problems would be solved.

If all it took was great QB play, Marino would have 10 rings.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
Ha, another Marino comparison that excludes facts and context. Check out the following stats and tell me we weren't a better team with Marino than without:

1980NFLAFCEast3rd880
1981NFLAFCEast1st1141Lost Divisional Playoffs (Chargers) 41-38
1982NFLAFC2nd[SUP]1[/SUP]720Won Wild Card Playoffs (Patriots) 28-13
Won Divisional Playoffs (Chargers) 34-13
Won AFC Championship (Jets) 14-0
Lost Super Bowl XVII (Redskins) 27-17
1983NFLAFCEast1st1240Lost Divisional Playoffs (Seahawks) 27-20Defensive POY - Doug Betters
1984NFLAFCEast1st1420Won Divisional Playoffs (Seahawks) 31-10
Won AFC Championship (Steelers) 45-28
Lost Super Bowl XIX (49ers) 38-16
MVP - Dan Marino
Offensive POY - Dan Marino
1985NFLAFCEast1st1240Won Divisional Playoffs (Browns) 24-21
Lost AFC Championship (Patriots) 31-14
1986NFLAFCEast3rd880
1987NFLAFCEast3rd870
1988NFLAFCEast5th6100
1989NFLAFCEast3rd880
1990NFLAFCEast2nd1240Won Wild Card Playoffs (Chiefs) 17-16
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Bills) 44-34
1991NFLAFCEast3rd880
1992NFLAFCEast1st1150Won Divisional Playoffs (Chargers) 31-0
Lost AFC Championship (Bills) 29-10
1993NFLAFCEast2nd970
1994NFLAFCEast1st1060Won Wild Card Playoffs (Chiefs) 27-17
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Chargers) 22-21
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Tim Bowens
Comeback POY - Dan Marino
1995NFLAFCEast3rd970Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Bills) 37-22
1996NFLAFCEast4th880
1997NFLAFCEast2nd970Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Patriots) 17-3
1998NFLAFCEast2nd1060Won Wild Card Playoffs (Bills) 24-17
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Broncos) 38-3
Walter Payton Man of the Year - Dan Marino
1999NFLAFCEast3rd970Won Wild Card Playoffs (Seahawks) 20-17
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Jaguars) 62-7
2000NFLAFCEast1st1150Won Wild Card Playoffs (Colts) 23-17
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Raiders) 27-0
2001NFLAFCEast2nd1150Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Ravens) 20-3
2002NFLAFCEast3rd970
2003NFLAFCEast2nd1060
2004NFLAFCEast4th4120
2005NFLAFCEast2nd970
2006NFLAFCEast4th6100Defensive POY - Jason Taylor
2007NFLAFCEast4th1150
2008NFLAFCEast1st1150Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Ravens) 27-9
2009NFLAFCEast3rd790
2010NFLAFCEast3rd790
2011NFLAFCEast-0and ****ing 4-

1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Can you take a wild guess as to when Marino retired?

Back
Top Bottom