The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 95 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

phunwin said:
I've posted my thoughts on the Pedro situation in my blog, so I'll just direct y'all there. http://phunwin.blogspot.com. Don't be afraid to click on the ads, either. I could use the hits. ;)

If the Yanks win it will be World Series Title #27 not #25 and w/ or w/o pedro the Yanks had better pitching than the Mets. It's a good read though, good job.

nyjunc said:
If the Yanks win it will be World Series Title #27 not #25 and w/ or w/o pedro the Yanks had better pitching than the Mets. It's a good read though, good job.

#27? My bad. Thanks for the correction, and the props.

You seriously think the mets rotation is worse then the dodgers who have, eeek brad penny as their playoff ace, the yanks who have wang and moose but nothing else (not any better...or worse... then glavine/duque for a playoff series), or the cards who have a 1 man staff and absolute poop after carpenter? Optimist? No. Thats borderline unrealist.

I agree with you on the trashel point. Thats what we've been discussing all year. His era never came down and his peripherals never caught up cause hes washed up. Who knows maybe he'll surprise us with a gem or 2. But I think my emergency guy would be williams and not perez cause perez simply cannot be trusted. Williams at least is more steady. You know youre going to see something along the line of 6ip 3-4 er and a relatively low walk total.

Excellent call on the maine deal; youve said that all season. Just like I called El Duque stepping up (sub 4 era since hes been out of zona's bambox). Good read and lets hope for the best brotha

EDIT: and by the way the reason you arent an optimist is cause youre a mets fan lol. Im a rarity in that respect.

Boik14 said:
You seriously think the mets rotation is worse then the dodgers who have, eeek brad penny as their playoff ace, the yanks who have wang and moose but nothing else (not any better...or worse... then glavine/duque for a playoff series), or the cards who have a 1 man staff and absolute poop after carpenter? Optimist? No. Thats borderline unrealist.

I agree with you on the trashel point. Thats what we've been discussing all year. His era never came down and his peripherals never caught up cause hes washed up. Who knows maybe he'll surprise us with a gem or 2. But I think my emergency guy would be williams and not perez cause perez simply cannot be trusted. Williams at least is more steady. You know youre going to see something along the line of 6ip 3-4 er and a relatively low walk total.

Excellent call on the maine deal; youve said that all season. Just like I called El Duque stepping up (sub 4 era since hes been out of zona's bambox). Good read and lets hope for the best brotha

EDIT: and by the way the reason you arent an optimist is cause youre a mets fan lol. Im a rarity in that respect.

Don't let the press fool you, Penny isn't the staff ace, Lowe is. The regular and postseason numbers don't lie. Lowe is quietly having a very solid season. IP 218.0 W/L 16-8 ERA 3.63 K 123 BB 55 and is a stellar playoff performer. Maddux has proven to be the best midseason acquisition and isn't too shabby either with a career 3.22 postseason ERA. Brad Penny is a winner. I'll concede that the Mets bullpen is stronger but there is now way I would take Glavine, El Duque and Maine instead of Penny, Maddux and Lowe. That's blind optimism. And if Penny isn't ready to go they can trot out Chad Billingsley who would be a number 3 guy on most staffs.

If the Mets see the Dodgers in the NLDS, it's going 5. 2 good line-ups (the Mets get a slight edge) with the Dodgers holding the advantage with starters and the Mets holding the advantage with bullpen. With all that even it's going to come down to the managers and I think Willie is a better baseball mind then Grady and when it comes to making a tough decision, I trust Willie's judgement over Little's!

The Mets made 3 blunders back in late July.

1) They didn't do what it took to get Zito in a year when they clearly can win it all.

2) After failing to get Zito, they didn't pull the trigger on Livan Hernendez.

3) Oliver Perez blew up in their face and they could really use him right now!

MikeO said:

1) They didn't do what it took to get Zito in a year when they clearly can win it all.

:confused: There were no designed plans to rely on Perez at all this year. How can something blow up if you're not counting on it? He's there as a reclamation project, as Omar is hoping Peterson can turn him around. He was an after thought in the trade with Nady. Roberto Hernandez was the target, after Duaner Sanchez got knocked off by a Miami cab driver.

I don't know that ignoring Livan was much of a mistake. The only real positive he brings at this point is eating up innings. But, the pen is so deep it doesn't matter.
</IMG>

MikeO said:

3) Oliver Perez blew up in their face and they could really use him right now![/quote]

Perez was never even to pitch until Sept until people got hurt, he was not even in the picture, he was a throw in for what we needed at the Time (Hernandez)

MikeO said:

Some of these posts are really funny. They blew it back in July?:sidelol: :sidelol: . All I have heard in the second half are reasons why the Mets will fall short. Phillies fans(Phils had a good year) stated to anyone who would listen that the Mets want no part of them come the playoffs. Well...the Phils fell a little short..maybe they should have been more concerned about the Dodgers and the Pods instead of a team in which they trailed for the division by 15 games for most of the season. Astro fans the same thing...you want no part of us...again...something that looks like a moot point.
I know that the Met pitching looks scary right now...but this team has done nothing but PERFORM and WIN on a constant basis all year round..from DAY 1. Maybe they should have played crappy ball for 3/4 of the year and played well at the end so that SOME would be so less critical.

Let's Go DODGERS!!!!!!!!

clear.gif

Pink_Dove said:
Don't let the press fool you, Penny isn't the staff ace, Lowe is. The regular and postseason numbers don't lie. Lowe is quietly having a very solid season. IP 218.0 W/L 16-8 ERA 3.63 K 123 BB 55 and is a stellar playoff performer. Maddux has proven to be the best midseason acquisition and isn't too shabby either with a career 3.22 postseason ERA. Brad Penny is a winner. I'll concede that the Mets bullpen is stronger but there is now way I would take Glavine, El Duque and Maine instead of Penny, Maddux and Lowe. That's blind optimism. And if Penny isn't ready to go they can trot out Chad Billingsley who would be a number 3 guy on most staffs.
Blind optimism? We have one of the greatest postseason pitchers in recent history and glavine is basically equivalent to maddux. Duque will be the difference. The only way the dodgers win this series is if maddux pitches like hes 27 again and the dodger bats get steaming hot.

MikeO said:

Livan sucks every bit as much as trashel. You can argue hes had postseason success but that was a few years ago. Its not like el duque who was pitching well in the postseason for the cws last year when he was pitching out of bases loaded and no outs vs boston

And what makes you say zito was every really available? You just dont know for a fact. IMO beane would have been nuts to put him on the block knowing full well that his team makes a 2nd half run every year. And without zito where would oakland be now since harden missed the whole 2nd half?

Back
Top Bottom