***The Official 2007-2008 NHL Thread*** | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The Official 2007-2008 NHL Thread***

I dont mean Life-time ban though, now that i reread that I see it does imply it.

By Ban I meant that a player should be Banned for as long as the player they injure is out of hockey. In the Bertuzzi case I think he should be out of hockey but only because the player he injured is still out. Pronger should be elligible to return (as long as a suspension is also served) when Kessler returns, no sooner.

I think the idea to suspend a guy as long as the other guy is out doesn't work. I'm sure people can pull up incidents in the NFL with cheap shots, the NBA is tougher but I recall one on Derek Anderson that took him out. Like MLB I believe the NHL is better off letting the players police themselves. There is a reason teams have a guy who can't skate put can throw punches. Is it good for outsiders? No, but when guys know they potentially put there star player at risk I think it takes away some of the cheap shots.

Buffalo beat Toronto 6-2 and it was 3-2 with like 10 to go. It wasn't really that close if people watched the game. I guess it's playing to win and with the playoffs on the line but Buffalo seemed to sit back most of the game. Lindy Ruff was more conservative than Sean Hannity. I'll go back to Unified's point of over-coaching. Lindy put together the most conservative lines and was rarely playing what would be the best "offensive" line in Afinogenov/Kotalik/Vanek. Playing with the 8,9,10 defenseman at the start of the season I guess means that. Though it's tough to watch. Toronto needs a goalie, bad.

Have to say disagree bro, Vesa Toskala has been good. In fact, I would argue that he is having a better year than Ryan Miller, especially as of late. If you look at the split stats, he had 3.73 GAA and .890 SV% in October, and is now at 2.60 GAA, and .907 SV%. It's no secret, he turned a corner after his first month in blue and white and he's been good ever since, even with the revolving doors we've had on the back-end.

Also disagree with the best forward in the game. Ovechkin is on another planet right now, carrying a unidimensional team to the playoffs. 60 goals (1st), 21 PPG's (1st), 10 game winning goals (1st), 203 hits (10th), 410 shots (1st), 70 even strength points (1st), 63 takeaways (8th), and a +23. I don't know if non hockey fans can comprehend the awesomeness of those stats. I do think Lecavalier is absolutely second though. Malkin is in the conversation, as is Kovalev who, has had a fitting year for such a talented player. They should all garner votes for the Art Ross.

I'll tell you one thing, Canada better be ready in 2010, because I was thinking of the next Russian national team, and it's scary. Between Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Pavel Datsyuk (who has an absurd 132 takeaways this year - Modano is 2nd with 78 !), Alex Kovalev, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Alexander Frolov, you have two top scoring lines. On defense, Andrei Markov is having an all-star year, Sergei Zubov is as slick as anyone in the game, Anton Volchenkov is very underrated, as is Vitaly Vishnevski, then you've got Danny Markov, and Sergei Gonchar rounding out your top 6. To finish it off, I've not had the chance to see much on him being on the east coast, but, Evgeni Nabokov was called the best goaltender in the NHL yesterday by Pierre McGuire, who knows a thing or two about the game. Our next Canadian generation with Ryan Getzlaf, Jeff Carter, and Dion Phaneuf is going to have their hands full.

Have to say disagree bro, Vesa Toskala has been good. In fact, I would argue that he is having a better year than Ryan Miller, especially as of late. If you look at the split stats, he had 3.73 GAA and .890 SV% in October, and is now at 2.60 GAA, and .907 SV%. It's no secret, he turned a corner after his first month in blue and white and he's been good ever since, even with the revolving doors we've had on the back-end.

Also disagree with the best forward in the game. Ovechkin is on another planet right now, carrying a unidimensional team to the playoffs. 60 goals (1st), 21 PPG's (1st), 10 game winning goals (1st), 203 hits (10th), 410 shots (1st), 70 even strength points (1st), 63 takeaways (8th), and a +23. I don't know if non hockey fans can comprehend the awesomeness of those stats. I do think Lecavalier is absolutely second though. Malkin is in the conversation, as is Kovalev who, has had a fitting year for such a talented player. They should all garner votes for the Art Ross.

I'll tell you one thing, Canada better be ready in 2010, because I was thinking of the next Russian national team, and it's scary. Between Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Pavel Datsyuk (who has an absurd 132 takeaways this year - Modano is 2nd with 78 !), Alex Kovalev, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Alexander Frolov, you have two top scoring lines. On defense, Andrei Markov is having an all-star year, Sergei Zubov is as slick as anyone in the game, Anton Volchenkov is very underrated, as is Vitaly Vishnevski, then you've got Danny Markov, and Sergei Gonchar rounding out your top 6. To finish it off, I've not had the chance to see much on him being on the east coast, but, Evgeni Nabokov was called the best goaltender in the NHL yesterday by Pierre McGuire, who knows a thing or two about the game. Our next Canadian generation with Ryan Getzlaf, Jeff Carter, and Dion Phaneuf is going to have their hands full.

The thing is, you and I both know something will go wrong with their team. As good as they look on paper (and they ALWAYS look good on paper) they'll implode.

Canada is deeper on defense, deeper at forward (although not as talented at the top end) and WAYYYYYY deeper in goal. Gimme Marty or Luongo over Nabakov everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

The thing is, you and I both know something will go wrong with their team. As good as they look on paper (and they ALWAYS look good on paper) they'll implode.

Canada is deeper on defense, deeper at forward (although not as talented at the top end) and WAYYYYYY deeper in goal. Gimme Marty or Luongo over Nabakov everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

I still think the ace in the hole is Ovechkin. In the past decade, the Russians have never had a 'Canadian' player. A superstar that could lay the wood, and fight thru checks. Now he's their leader, and best player. Still, IN Van City, I imagine we'll be hard to beat. ;)

Throw out all stats when it comes to the tourney.

Anyone of the following six countries can win gold.

Czech Rep, Sweden, Finland, USA, Canada, and Russia. Sooner or later Slovakia might be considered one of the elites

Who people think the "best" is in the game is always up to debate. I love Ovechkin, but can you go wrong? I believe the olympics are what can get Americans back involved. DiPietro and Miller are equals IMO. I hate to say this but if the Sabres go the cheap route they always go and Miller goes to the Red Wings it's better for the NHL.

2-HUGE wins for the Leafs,and still no Sundin or Antropov.Although I'm still pretty sure they're not making the playoffs,they are playing really good hockey.2-more against the Bruins would be sweet.....

KImmo Timonen. Braydon Coburn, Jason Smith, Ryan Parent...{retty solid core if u ask me

Smith is average

Timonen has been terrible post all-star break

Coburn is good and i think will only get better, but he's still young and not there quite yet. Considering they got Coburn for virtually nothing, Paul Holmgren should be arrested for robbery.

Parent is average, but young and inexperienced, in time he might be an ok player.

That defense is far from a "solid" corps.

Back
Top Bottom