The Official 2007 Copa America thread | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2007 Copa America thread

Bolivia and host nation Venezuela tied 1-1 at the moment...half time...

I like Uribe... I hope Peru does well....

MExico Brazil tomorrow... dunno if I should be happy about that.

Man, this one is early....

Has brazil and Argentina confirmed they are sending their main team? Copa america tends to become dissappointing precisely because those two tend to send Under 21's with a couple of stars. And without those two there really is no point in holding the tournament.

Still here is to hoping Mexico, US and Uruguay do really good.

I am not a Copa America expert but I always thought that the Copa America is the equivalent of the European Championship.

I couldn't imagine having a national team send their U21 to the EC qualification or even tournament.

I am not a Copa America expert but I always thought that the Copa America is the equivalent of the European Championship.

I couldn't imagine having a national team send their U21 to the EC qualification or even tournament.

Argentina has historically taken the tournament very seriously. They often do send many of their best and have won the tournament more than any other team with 15 (though Uruguay is one behind with 14).

But, Brazil is quite well known for sending a good squad, but not their best. It's good for some Brazil players that normally have a hard time getting into the squad to show their stuff. In the 2004 tournament where Brazil's B team beat out Argentina's A team (more or less for both sides - Brazil did have a few top players), Adriano was one of those that got a chance to shine and that got him into the first squad. Brazil really only cares about the WC.

Anyway, look at what the US is sending. It's really a C team if at all that! (scheduling conflicts etc.. are the main reason).

Argentina has historically taken the tournament very seriously. They often do send many of their best and have won the tournament more than any other team with 15 (though Uruguay is one behind with 14).

But, Brazil is quite well known for sending a good squad, but not their best. It's good for some Brazil players that normally have a hard time getting into the squad to show their stuff. In the 2004 tournament where Brazil's B team beat out Argentina's A team (more or less for both sides - Brazil did have a few top players), Adriano was one of those that got a chance to shine and that got him into the first squad. Brazil really only cares about the WC.

Anyway, look at what the US is sending. It's really a C team if at all that! (scheduling conflicts etc.. are the main reason).

Then why participate in such tournament? If your Cs play against other Bs and some lower As, maybe some Ds (darn that sounds like Victoria's Secret here...:sidelol:).

If the MLS doesn't take its national team serious.....which brings me back to the other thread regarding ownership.
:evil:

Then why participate in such tournament? If your Cs play against other Bs and some lower As, maybe some Ds (darn that sounds like Victoria's Secret here...:sidelol:).

If the MLS doesn't take its national team serious.....which brings me back to the other thread regarding ownership.
:evil:

MLS should change its schedulling to make this stuff work easier. As I've said before many times, this is a truly wasted opportunity. The US's best players should be in Copa getting good experience. I mean this is Argentina's best squad we're talking about (our first opponent).

Either way, it's better we participate than not. At least some guys that might make the team in the future have an opportunity to show something.

By the way, there's no point criticizing the single-entity structure of MLS. That's an economic necessity for now. Otherwise, MLS will go the way of the NASL. Better to have a league in the first place than none at all :wink:

Copa America is a really important cup for South American teams, but not just for the trophy itself, but for being the last test for the teams before the WC qualifyers that start a few months later, so it tends to be very competitive

Chile managed to turn things around and is winning now 3-2 with only compensation time left.

Edit: Chile just won

2-0 Mexico, the second goal came on a free kick from a few yards outside of the 18, great strike, Doni didnt even move as the ball was curled into the corner

Back
Top Bottom