The Official 2007 Gold Cup Thread | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2007 Gold Cup Thread

Not sure.. Mexico has been at approximately the same level for 3 decades or so (compared to the rest of the world that is) with only minor ups and downs.

They have a nice new generation, but it's not necessarily better than some previous generations.

Note they are infamous for getting to the second round of the WC but not beyond (except at home). So, the level is quite consistent.

The US on the other hand is going to shoot past Mexico, though it will take the next generation to do so. This generation is good, but we don't have enough individual great players (one could argue we have none, except at goalkeeper). However, the US I think plays much better as a team.

Also, one thing for the US compared to past US teams is we are doing more one-touch passes than before. Even 4 years ago, we couldn't really do that, slowing our pace.

Yeah...he touch and the basics are getting better every year....US will probably be a Top team in the next generation or the following one...because of the amount of immigrants we get from all over the world.

We shall have to see how their new coach does with them. Looking at their roster they have alot of players playing overseas in the leagues over there, and I believe they are also pretty young.

You know, one thing I could never explain is why Mexico isn't as strong as Argentina. I mean Brazil loves soccer and has a big population. Argentina's population is many times smaller than Mexico's, yet Mexico is consistently a level below Argentina. Why?

I can't explain. Mexico by now should have become a major power like Argentina or so.

Not sure.. Mexico has been at approximately the same level for 3 decades or so (compared to the rest of the world that is) with only minor ups and downs.

They have a nice new generation, but it's not necessarily better than some previous generations.

Note they are infamous for getting to the second round of the WC but not beyond (except at home). So, the level is quite consistent.

The US on the other hand is going to shoot past Mexico, though it will take the next generation to do so. This generation is good, but we don't have enough individual great players (one could argue we have none, except at goalkeeper). However, the US I think plays much better as a team.

Also, one thing for the US compared to past US teams is we are doing more one-touch passes than before. Even 4 years ago, we couldn't really do that, slowing our pace.

You do realize they were the World Champions right?

You know, one thing I could never explain is why Mexico isn't as strong as Argentina. I mean Brazil loves soccer and has a big population. Argentina's population is many times smaller than Mexico's, yet Mexico is consistently a level below Argentina. Why?

I can't explain. Mexico by now should have become a major power like Argentina or so.
Mexico also has problems pushing out the older generation to make way for the new generation IMO.

Let me ask this question. When will second- or third- generation Mexican immigrants start rooting for the US?

What if the US clearly surpasses Mexico? (right now head-on-head US is better, but Mexico still has the better record against top teams worldwide, though part of that is because they've played more such games)

Will we then have some converts?

Let me ask this question. When will second- or third- generation Mexican immigrants start rooting for the US?

What if the US clearly surpasses Mexico? (right now head-on-head US is better, but Mexico still has the better record against top teams worldwide, though part of that is because they've played more such games)

I'm 3rd generation :D

A few but not many.

Something I LOVE...is that Bocanegra and Bornstein both have Mexican in them. It must be oh so sweet winning this game.

You do realize they were the World Champions right?

At the youth level? That isn't a good indicator since Euro teams and Brazil etc.. don't send their top players.

I mean if you go by that Ghana is way better than you, but that's not the case.

So, that's a nice stat (for the youth players), but it doesn't translate into much for the "real" national teams.

Feilhaber is really good, I hate losing with a golazo (just like Argentina last world cup :()

Congrats!

Feilhaber is really good, I hate losing with a golazo (just like Argentina last world cup :()

Congrats!

Thanks. That is a good sport. What did you think of Sanchez's coaching..? Good or bad???

Thanks. That is a good sport. What did you think of Sanchez's coaching..? Good or bad???

I don't think there was any significant difference in coaching (Hugo still kept Medina in there when he was playing like **** I did not like that)

Rafa Marquez did bring another dimension to the whole defense.

Jared's loss was a BIG one, because Bravo and Nery have a very similar playing style and at the end we really needed a big guy to hit those long passes.

This was by far the best game in the Hugo Sanchez era, but still there's a long way to go.

BTW what is the deal with your forwards? Where is McBride? he can't be worse than Ching, Twellman and stone feet Johnson.

One thing I didn't like is that it was clear that Guardado was hurt when they banged heads, he was not up to speed, so Hugo should have taken him out, put Bofo in earlier... anyways, it was a great and fun game.

Now ckb you are being thouroughly unfair, the newest generation of Mexicans, not only did they win the World Championship of U-20's (which does get the big players mind you, and they won this championship with a 3-0 thumping of Brazil) but out of that team we got one guy in Barcelona that has been drawing comparisons to Ronaldinho, and one guy in Arsenal who played on loan in Spain and was a important player for a Spanish first division club, that is not even taking into account the fact that Guardado has drawn interest from Barca, Real Madrid and Sevilla, and that Memo Ochoa will probably end up playing in Spain pretty soon.

This young generation is the best generation we have seen in years. We can't say the same thing for the young generation of US players, we simply can't. The game grew and it grew a lot there, but its growth has been stumped, meanwhile Mexico has had the game stumped at one point for years, but this particular generation is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom