The Official 2007 Gold Cup Thread | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2007 Gold Cup Thread

At the youth level? That isn't a good indicator since Euro teams and Brazil etc.. don't send their top players.

I mean if you go by that Ghana is way better than you, but that's not the case.

So, that's a nice stat (for the youth players), but it doesn't translate into much for the "real" national teams.

Funny thing that a few posts ago you call on how the U-20 squad looks great for the US but you dismiss the Mexican U-20 squad that are the world defending champions. I guess it only looks good when it looks good for the team you cheer for.

I don't think there was any significant difference in coaching (Hugo still kept Medina in there when he was playing like **** I did not like that)

Rafa Marquez did bring another dimension to the whole defense.

Jared's loss was a BIG one, because Bravo and Nery have a very similar playing style and at the end we really needed a big guy to hit those long passes.

This was by far the best game in the Hugo Sanchez era, but still there's a long way to go.

BTW what is the deal with your forwards? Where is McBride? he can't be worse than Ching, Twellman and stone feet Johnson.

McBride retired after last year's World Cup.

And Sanchez was making excuses after the game...like typical fashion for the Mexicna PLAYERS ..."the better team lost"

Why did Howard get the start over Keller??

Since Bradley took over, Howard has been named #1 Keeper. But due to the fact that Keller still plays at a high level, they've basically take turns. Howard did a magnificent job on that Bofo shot.

Funny thing that a few posts ago you call on how the U-20 squad looks great for the US but you dismiss the Mexican U-20 squad that are the world defending champions. I guess it only looks good when it looks good for the team you cheer for.

We have just as much to look forward to. Bradley is 19 and is fundamentally sound (for the most part). We have Adu, Altidore etc.

Yeah we didn't win any Championships but we have a bright future as well.

Now ckb you are being thouroughly unfair, the newest generation of Mexicans, not only did they win the World Championship of U-20's (which does get the big players mind you, and they won this championship with a 3-0 thumping of Brazil) but out of that team we got one guy in Barcelona that has been drawing comparisons to Ronaldinho, and one guy in Arsenal who played on loan in Spain and was a important player for a Spanish first division club, that is not even taking into account the fact that Guardado has drawn interest from Barca, Real Madrid and Sevilla, and that Memo Ochoa will probably end up playing in Spain pretty soon.

This young generation is the best generation we have seen in years. We can't say the same thing for the young generation of US players, we simply can't. The game grew and it grew a lot there, but its growth has been stumped, meanwhile Mexico has had the game stumped at one point for years, but this particular generation is incredible.

I'm not being unfair. It's only the top two or three guys from any U-20 team that MAY become fixtures on the full National team. Consider the best U-17 team the US ever had. Three guys in Donovan, Beasley and Convey made it to the National team. Convey was the one guy being most praised by opposing coaches with Donovan being the top scorer.

Well, only Donovan and Beasley from that team ever panned out. So, that's 2 out of the entire team that went on to become a regular Nat. That's the first reason why it's not that important how successful the entire team was in trying to predict how the full Nats team will do.

And the second major reason is that the major powers do NOT send most of their best players. Many of their best players are signed by that time to clubs that don't want to release them for something so "irrelevant" (irrelevant to the big powers, yes, not to us of course).

Seriously, it's amazing Argentina and Brazil can win so many U-20 WC without their best players. That just shows incredible depth.

But, ask yourself how many times Italy has won that or even come in second? NONE. Yet Italy and Brazil are the two most successful WC teams ever, being separated by one Brazil PK win over Italy in terms of number of WC's won.

Did France or England ever come in first or second? No. And Germany won it only once. And that team didn't coincide with a particularly good period in German soccer.

Hell, if success at the U-20 is such a good predictor, why haven't Nigeria or Ghana had much success at the WC?

Thus, mentioning that Mexico won it once doesn't mean it will translate into greater success for the Mexican National Team in the future. You may get a few good players out of it, but what about the rest? They come from previous U-20 teams or come from "nowhere".

Fact is, you can't consider this new Mexican National Team as clearly better than many others in the past. I'd like to see you make an argument they are clearly better than many Mexican National Teams of the past 2-3 decades (relative to the rest of the world) if you think you can make that argument.

Your WC record truly shows consistency in terms of relative strength. So, what I said there is accurate.

And finally, I was looking at how the US U-20 of a few years ago might produce several good prospects for the US team. That's obviously no different for your team. But, the context of the debate was different in the two cases. In the first case, I was just looking at what might improve the level of the US. And there, you can clearly see Feilhaber has the potential to be a midfield general of a sort we haven't had. Spector has a lot of work to do, but I still predict he'll become our best defender. And IF a guy like Marvel Wynne can make it, well we'll have a very good attacking right back (though his defence isn't as good as Cherundolo). That's talking about just a few players.

And if you notice I said it would take another generation to truly surpass Mexico, assuming that Mexico continues its trend of being at the same relative strength to the rest of the world.

But, I NEVER suggested the US U-20's of a few years ago were any better than Mexico's (obviously not) or that the US U-20's in question (of a few years ago) would somehow allow us to surpass Mexico for certain. No, I made it clear it would take another generation at least because it's arguable we have no great individual players.

However, I DO think we will clearly surpass Mexico by the time the next generation comes along. The US is just getting better one player at a time (the next step will be to get truly good individual players in the mix), while Mexico for some reason has remained relatively stagnant in strength relative to the rest of the world. I expect that to continue, hence my argument.

CKB, I disagree with your statement about Beasley and Donovan being the only ones to ever pan out. Convey is a good player. Only reason he wasn't at the Gold Cup was because of an injury. It is just hard to have him and Beasley both on the field at the same time because they both play the same position....they tried to do it at last year's WC with Beasley on the right, and it didn't work out.

CKB, I disagree with your statement about Beasley and Donovan being the only ones to ever pan out. Convey is a good player. Only reason he wasn't at the Gold Cup was because of an injury. It is just hard to have him and Beasley both on the field at the same time because they both play the same position....they tried to do it at last year's WC with Beasley on the right, and it didn't work out.

Well, Arena's darling was Convey remember? Convey got sooo much time to prove himself. Yes, he could work out as a sub, but he is not a fixture on the Nats for certain.

Besides, where do you play him? We used to try him out at right midfield until Dempsey took that away. Attacking midfield is too crowded - he can't push out Donovan and you can't push Donovan up front - that experiment was tried and it doesn't work out as well.

Convey was even tried out at left back. Well, our back line now has new names that can play those positions well. No one knew of Bornstein for example. And Spector is coming into his own.

Really, Convey isn't good enough to be a starter on a full US Men's Nats team.

Well, Arena's darling was Convey remember? Convey got sooo much time to prove himself. Yes, he could work out as a sub, but he is not a fixture on the Nats for certain.

Besides, where do you play him? We used to try him out at right midfield until Dempsey took that away. Attacking midfield is too crowded - he can't push out Donovan and you can't push Donovan up front - that experiment was tried and it doesn't work out as well.

Convey was even tried out at left back. Well, our back line now has new names that can play those positions well. No one knew of Bornstein for example. And Spector is coming into his own.

Really, Convey isn't good enough to be a starter on a full US Men's Nats team.

He could be a starter but we are talented in the position he plays. But you are right, he could be a very good sub. He'll be in 2010's World Cup.

We tried Beasley on the right side of the field at the World Cup not Convey. Beasley didn't succeed, so that experiment didn't work.

Donovan works up front, as a 2nd forward, but I cannot see Convey as an attacking midfield who has to create plays like Donovan. He is a speedy guy (not as fast as Beasley) who runs down the flanks. Convey is not meant for Defense. There is no room for him on the starting lineup you're right, but doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent to do so.

He could be a starter but we are talented in the position he plays. But you are right, he could be a very good sub. He'll be in 2010's World Cup.

We tried Beasley on the right side of the field at the World Cup not Convey. Beasley didn't succeed, so that experiment didn't work.

Donovan works up front, as a 2nd forward, but I cannot see Convey as an attacking midfield who has to create plays like Donovan. He is a speedy guy (not as fast as Beasley) who runs down the flanks. Convey is not meant for Defense. There is no room for him on the starting lineup you're right, but doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent to do so.

I think it was the Argentinian coach that said Convey had the most talent of the 3 after the U-17. The reason Arena kept trying to find a place for Convey is because of that potential.

Well, it never really showed in MLS and then it took him a year to adjust to England, and that wasn't even in the Premiership.

You're right about what we tried at right midfield in the WC, but if you look back further, Arena tried out Convey in various positions, including right back. Point is that guy really doesn't beat out our starters in any area.

I'd also wager some finbucks (man, I had ~50,000 before they re-did something here at the site, apparently for security reasons?) Convey won't make the 2010 team. Though that's a long wait to see who's right :lol:

Anyway, I do like how the younger guys are playing, and that's what's important. This was a relatively inexperienced team we fielded, and they beat Mexico - that's good :D Too bad we will have only a shell of our best possible team at Copa America.

By the way, isn't it great so much soccer is on lately :)

At the youth level? That isn't a good indicator since Euro teams and Brazil etc.. don't send their top players.

I mean if you go by that Ghana is way better than you, but that's not the case.

So, that's a nice stat (for the youth players), but it doesn't translate into much for the "real" national teams.

Actually we kicked Brazil's *** in the final with their best players, so I'm not worried at all:wink:

I think it was the Argentinian coach that said Convey had the most talent of the 3 after the U-17. The reason Arena kept trying to find a place for Convey is because of that potential.

Well, it never really showed in MLS and then it took him a year to adjust to England, and that wasn't even in the Premiership.

You're right about what we tried at right midfield in the WC, but if you look back further, Arena tried out Convey in various positions, including right back. Point is that guy really doesn't beat out our starters in any area.

I'd also wager some finbucks (man, I had ~50,000 before they re-did something here at the site, apparently for security reasons?) Convey won't make the 2010 team. Though that's a long wait to see who's right :lol:

Anyway, I do like how the younger guys are playing, and that's what's important. This was a relatively inexperienced team we fielded, and they beat Mexico - that's good :D Too bad we will have only a shell of our best possible team at Copa America.

By the way, isn't it great so much soccer is on lately :)

Yes..I lvoe how much Soccer is on T.V.

Yeah and whatever happened to that? I use to have my name glowing and maddddd Fin Bucks. Convey will be there...he's better then Mapp and Bradley even called him for the first match against Mexico this year, where he played decent...except for the one shot where he was wide open and tried to curl it around Sanchez but to no avail.

Mexico had more chances but couldn't score, we had 5 chances inside the box, looks like we really missed Borguetti:shakeno:

Really? Ching and Beasley both hit posts. Dempsey misfired on a 4-2 counter attack. Beasley missed another attempt or two. Dempsey missed on ANOTHER two from close range at the beginning of the second half.

This is how I saw the game...Mexico controlled the ball more and maintained possession of it, BUT US created more/better opportunities with the little amount of time it had with the ball. Towards the end, Mexico started threatening but for ONCE, the US team's Defense held its own.

[youtube]PCJDkZnpXMg[/youtube]

Really? Ching and Beasley both hit posts. Dempsey misfired on a 4-2 counter attack. Beasley missed another attempt or two. Dempsey missed on ANOTHER two from close range at the beginning of the second half.

This is how I saw the game...Mexico controlled the ball more and maintained possession of it, BUT US created more/better opportunities with the little amount of time it had with the ball. Towards the end, Mexico started threatening but for ONCE, the US team's Defense held its own.

[youtube]PCJDkZnpXMg[/youtube]

I counted 5 headshots from Mexico, and the players had a clear shot, but couldn't hit the ball well, Bofo had his chance, Nery on a shot from outside the box, Marquez had one too at close range, I can keep going...

Back
Top Bottom