The Reason The Next Week Is A Milestone For Ryan Tannehill | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Reason The Next Week Is A Milestone For Ryan Tannehill

Example : I can make every throw in the book,
but I can't get it there before the CB pics it off or disrupts the play.

That's called timing and arm strength, my friend. Also being able to recognize defenses.

No they can't or QB position wouldn't be the most difficult to fill.

Or....maybe there's just more to the QB position than being able to make difficult throws. I could show you examples of even josh McCown last season making impressive throws and asking you to find where Tannehill makes a throw exactly the same way. Its impossible so its basically a moot point.

Or....maybe there's just more to the QB position than being able to make difficult throws. I could show you examples of even josh McCown last season making impressive throws and asking you to find where Tannehill makes a throw exactly the same way. Its impossible so its basically a moot point.
But was McCown the 2nd most accurate long ball passer in any season, even despite the 31st ranked OL? Or even the 4th most accurate 15+ yard passer? And speaking of the OL, I know that there were 3 passers with higher QBRs in '16 from a clean pocket than Tannehill, but I doubt McCown was one of 'em!

Tannehill never had nor will ever have the escapability of Russell Wilson to compensate for a bad OL. But then again, aside from a few Ajayi games, Tannehill never had the Beast Mode to defend against either! Let's see what he can do in terms of "making all the throws" from behind an at least an average rated, middle of the road OL - which would be a rarity for him.

So explain to me what "arm talent" is?

Arm talent includes 'arm strength' and:

1. Ability to throw with the appropriate velocity for a situation
2. Ability to throw with the appropriate trajectory for a situation
3. Ability to throw from a variety of platforms, including:
a. Off their back foot
b. Off balance
c. On the move to the right
d. On the move to the left
e. Without fully stepping into the throw
4. Ability to throw with a variety of throwing motions
a. Natural
b. Side arm
c. Big wide up
d. Small wind up
5. Accuracy
6. Quick release

Josh Allen has the strongest arm of the top QBs drafted. He does not have the best arm talent.

To use a baseball analogy, the best pitcher is not always the hardest thrower. What good is throwing 105 mph fastball if you cannot hit the strike zone or alter speeds, location, ball movement, etc?

Arm talent includes 'arm strength' and:

1. Ability to throw with the appropriate velocity for a situation
2. Ability to throw with the appropriate trajectory for a situation
3. Ability to throw from a variety of platforms, including:
a. Off their back foot
b. Off balance
c. On the move to the right
d. On the move to the left
e. Without fully stepping into the throw
4. Ability to throw with a variety of throwing motions
a. Natural
b. Side arm
c. Big wide up
d. Small wind up
5. Accuracy
6. Quick release

Josh Allen has the strongest arm of the top QBs drafted. He does not have the best arm talent.

To use a baseball analogy, the best pitcher is not always the hardest thrower. What good is throwing 105 mph fastball if you cannot hit the strike zone or alter speeds, location, ball movement, etc?

Thanks for the link, interesting read. But like it says in the article arm talent is a loose term and I think overall a QB with "arm talent" is essentially just an elite QB. Is there a QB with amazing arm talent who isn't elite or a QB who is elite that lacks arm talent?

Thanks for the link, interesting read. But like it says in the article arm talent is a loose term and I think overall a QB with "arm talent" is essentially just an elite QB. Is there a QB with amazing arm talent who isn't elite or a QB who is elite that lacks arm talent?

Certainly more examples of 'a' than 'b'.

Jeff George had amazing arm talent and no head for the game.

I would say Joe Montana had less arm talent than many (maybe it was still amazing) and he is an all-time great.

Playing QB at an elite level requires elite (or close to elite) arm talent but it also requires so many of the other skills listed in the article.

I mean..... you can say that about 90% of all the QBs In the NFL, including backups and 3rd stringers. That's really the reason how they got into the NFL.

Not sure I've ever heard "he would be an excellent QB if only he could make all the throws"

Or "even though he cant make all the throws he's a really good QB."

C'mon man it's the NFL. Being able to make all the throws is expected for any starting QB lol. I'm glad you got pumped up from reading that though.

Chad Pennington could not make those throws...he never had the arm strength to do so...now could he pick a defense apart in the short to medium throws, yes

Certainly more examples of 'a' than 'b'.

Jeff George had amazing arm talent and no head for the game.

I would say Joe Montana had less arm talent than many (maybe it was still amazing) and he is an all-time great.

Playing QB at an elite level requires elite (or close to elite) arm talent but it also requires so many of the other skills listed in the article.

Jeff George couldn't throw a touch pass very well or while on the run. I think you're once again referring to arm strength. Montana was able to do those things but didn't have a cannon so once again, you're mostly talking about arm strength.

Jeff George couldn't throw a touch pass very well or while on the run. I think you're once again referring to arm strength. Montana was able to do those things but didn't have a cannon so once again, you're mostly talking about arm strength.

No, I'm not talking mostly about arm strength. I'm talking about all the things I wrote in an earlier post. Jeff George had arm strength and incredible accuracy and an incredibly quick release and the ability to throw it from a variety of platforms and the ability to throw with touch and different trajectories, etc. Arm talent.

No, I'm not talking mostly about arm strength. I'm talking about all the things I wrote in an earlier post. Jeff George had arm strength and incredible accuracy and an incredibly quick release and the ability to throw it from a variety of platforms and the ability to throw with touch and different trajectories, etc. Arm talent.

I think you're the first person to describe jeff george as incredibly accurate and ability to throw with touch lol. All QBs have ability to throw with touch, just depends on the consistency. He was Jay Cutler before Jay Cutler

Ability to throw from different platforms = arm strength.

And if your not referring to arm strength, which area was Montana lacking in?

Last edited:
I think you're the first person to describe jeff george as incredibly accurate and ability to throw with touch lol.

I did a google search with the phrase "Jeff George accuracy issues". Couldn't find any articles describing accuracy as a problem. Leadership? Attitude? yes. Accuracy? No. I did find this quote:

George was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1990 draft, blessed with a strong and amazingly accurate arm. He threw for 27,602 yards and 154 touchdowns in 12 years, completing almost 58 percent of his passes while throwing 113 interceptions.

and this:

Accurate passing is but part of it, but it's the part that George is famous for. And it was the decisive part Sunday.

Repeatedly, he could do what every quarterback longs to do: jam the ball into closely guarded receivers.

Thus, it was irrelevant that the 49ers had Moss nicely double-covered on the 25-yard sideline pass that set up Minnesota for its first score, 7-0.

All QBs have ability to throw with touch
, just depends on the consistency. He was Jay Cutler before Jay Cutler

Those that do it consistently have superior arm talent. George was Cutler because of attitude issues.

Ability to throw from different platforms = arm strength.

False. Throwing from different platforms also impacts accuracy and timing. Some more than others, hence differences in arm talent.

And if your not referring to arm strength, which area was Montana lacking in?

Montana's only question was arm strength, which is part of arm talent.

Not sure why you are not getting it. Arm talent and arm strength are not synonymous for quarterbacks any more than they are for baseball pitchers.

I'm shocked that this is still going on. It is on the verge of me thinking you're just trolling to stir up crap. How can someone think that arm strength makes a QB good? Chad Pennington lacked arm strength in a big way but was highly accurate and successful. Drew Brees isn't known for arm strength but is extremely successful.

You can be successful without arm strength, but not without arm talent. It's so simple to delineate between the two that it's almost elementary.

I'm shocked that this is still going on. It is on the verge of me thinking you're just trolling to stir up crap. How can someone think that arm strength makes a QB good? Chad Pennington lacked arm strength in a big way but was highly accurate and successful. Drew Brees isn't known for arm strength but is extremely successful.

You can be successful without arm strength, but not without arm talent. It's so simple to delineate between the two that it's almost elementary.

Because of their accuracy...not this made up "arm talent"

Back
Top Bottom