The time has come to cut Devante Parker (post June 1) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The time has come to cut Devante Parker (post June 1)

Parker's contract is pretty team friendly. I wouldn't cut him.

In fact, I would love to see what Parker can do going up against #2 corners if the team drafts a true #1.

I mean Parker has made a habit of stepping his game up against #1 corners. He just needs to be at a healthier percentage for more games. The separation stats aren't very good but his body positioning and hands are generally really good and has the ability to come down with the football in 50/50 situations.

If cut, I can't see it being this year, seems more of a chance next year. You want find a better option than him at his cost.

Also, I just can't see us needing to cut him. If we decided to move on, I feel certain his production, age, and contract would net us a pick (maybe a 3rd) in return.

If the team wants to move on from Parker I'm pretty sure we could trade him but why cut him? I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was already asked.

If the team wants to move on from Parker I'm pretty sure we could trade him but why cut him? I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was already asked.
Maybe in a "normal" year it would be a viable option. This year though, most teams are going to be careful, and frugal when it comes to trades. The same as with FAs.

I mean Parker has made a habit of stepping his game up against #1 corners. He just needs to be at a healthier percentage for more games. The separation stats aren't very good but his body positioning and hands are generally really good and has the ability to come down with the football in 50/50 situations.
I agree. His game has never been about separation.

Something to watch, he seemed a little slower to me this year. Could be just battling the hamstring injury.

DVP is still a bargain for the production he offers when healthy. We have a glut of meh receivers that can and should be cut before Parker.

Bye bye Wilson, Grant, Hurns. let’s add a rookie or two and a veteran alongside DVP and Preston

DVP is an asset that we know can produce and with a good pieces around him hes very good

Maybe in a "normal" year it would be a viable option. This year though, most teams are going to be careful, and frugal when it comes to trades. The same as with FAs.
I agree about the free agency part. When it comes to trades tho, we've already seen teams give up a lot tho of course QB's is a different thing. I'm not saying we should trade him Parker tho, just saying it'd be better to trade him than to just cut him.

With this cut this guy, cut that guy attitude that just tells me that people are bored. I get it, Parker has been somewhat disappointing in some ways, but he has also play more games than we would have expected him. Also, our QB situation wasn't stable enough last season in order for us to start throwing our best receiver away for no damn reason. Yes, he is our best receiver.

I think the fact you’d need to do this as a post June-1 is a negative because I don’t believe you can capitalize on the space created until then. Combined with the dead cap hit for 2022, I think it makes it unlikely.

I think the fact you’d need to do this as a post June-1 is a negative because I don’t believe you can capitalize on the space created until then. Combined with the dead cap hit for 2022, I think it makes it unlikely.

This is also correct . . . even if you designate the player as a post June 1st cut . . . there is no immediate benefit for the team until June 1st. What it does is give the player, who you plan on cutting, the opportunity to get on with another team when free agency begins. You will still hold that cap hit until that June 1st date though.

So yea, you aren't getting 9.4 million in space tomorrow if you designate Parker a June first cut today. Teams will still need to get under the cap, and then when that date comes they get relief. Teams in a tight situation may decide to postpone signing draft picks until then as a way to keep under the cap knowing relief is coming.

Back
Top Bottom