There is a new No. 3 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There is a new No. 3

Bumpus said:
Well, since you asked...

First you imply that Florida should get a shot at the national championship game ahead of an undefeated WVU because it has played a tougher schedule.

Then, you say that the loser (of the upcoming Ohio State/Michigan game) had their chance, and they should simply move on.

... see what I'm getting at?

I don't think you see what I'm getting at. You left out the key part. I said...
Motion said:
Now as for the OSU/Mich loser, unless its a nail biter that goes to the wire or OT the loser had their chance, move on

Bumpus said:
uh huh ... quick question. What was your opinion on USC?
When this year?

Why do you say what "was" my opinion? Has it changed?

Nice redirect of the point that WV just has not played many quality teams. USC has. They have squeaked by in quite a few of them, but still won. So they are a good team. What is your point?

These schedules are made years in advance

Yes, but follow along with me. BC/Miami/VT leaving didnt force Big East teams to schedule Marshall, Eastern Washington, Temple, Middle Tenn, Howard, Ohio, Citadel etc etc. They set that up themselves. And even if you make the schedule 100 years in advance you know for a fact that a hundred years from that date those teams are still going to suck. They took those 3 good teams away like you said, but they added 3 complete cubcakes. You give them a pass for that, have fun and enjoy banging your head on the wall.

MikeO said:
Oh my god, its like beating your head into a wall.

These schedules are made years in advance. When Miami, VT and BC all left....it isn't like you can go out and just add other top teams to replace them!!!! The Big East teams were left hanging.

ONE EXAMPLE........So, your telling me if a team like Syracuse 6 or 7 years ago had a schedule planned for this year of Miami, VT, BC, Iowa, Pitt, WV, Illnois, Wake Forest.......that its a bad schedule?? But take away VT, MIami, and BC and of course the schedule looks like crap. Then throw in that Illnois stinks now something nobody has any control over.....and you end up with what you got. You can't say the Big East is "trying to set themsleves up to have a good record". The conference was raided and left every team in a huge hole for about the next 5+ years or so. These schedules are set years, yes years in advance!!
Yes, I agree the schedules are made years in advance. However, you do have to fill those games once the teams leave. WHO you fill them with are your choice. I give Louisville props for keeping UM on their schedule. Who did WVU add? That is the only flaw in your logic. GRANTED, some teams' schedules won't line up with yours, but I still think they could have added some teams that would be decent. At least .500!

DonShula84 said:
Yes, but follow along with me. BC/Miami/VT leaving didnt force Big East teams to schedule Marshall, Eastern Washington, Temple, Middle Tenn, Howard, Ohio, Citadel etc etc. They set that up themselves. And even if you make the schedule 100 years in advance you know for a fact that a hundred years from that date those teams are still going to suck. They took those 3 good teams away like you said, but they added 3 complete cubcakes. You give them a pass for that, have fun and enjoy banging your head on the wall.
LOL, beat me to it DS84!

UF Fin Kat said:
but no quality team would EVER schedule louisville or west virginia, either.
:confused: Am I being dense and missed the :rolleyes: in your post?
Because Miami kept Louisville on their schedule, and it wasn't need going into the ACC.
Besides, USC, Texas, OSU, ND (just off the top of my head) don't seem to be ducking anyone. There are talented teams out there. WV just needs to be willing to do a home and away series with someone bowl eligible.

UF Fin Kat said:

Some top teams may not want to play them, but add a lower lvl SEC, ACC or PAC 10 team. You could get away with adding 2nd tier teams and not make your schedule appear as weak as it is.

Nice redirect of the point that WV just has not played many quality teams. USC has. They have squeaked by in quite a few of them, but still won. So they are a good team. What is your point?

USC in my opioion was living off hype in the years past. They should have won most of those games easily. And who do they lose to? Oregon State...So how could you possibly say USC deserves to be up there and WVU dont. We didnt "SQUEAK" by any opponents, i belive the closest was 10 down at ECU. Slaton had a hurt wrist, and the heat down there seemed to cause cramping in WVU's players

WestVirginiaFan said:
and the heat down there seemed to cause cramping in WVU's players

:sidelol:

Classic!

I'm pretty sure that cramping is one of the variables used in the BCS formula already. If not, it sure should be..... :sidelol:

Un.Be.Lievable!

UF Fin Kat said:

Sarcasm?

If not others have already given very well put answers as to why this post should have been posted as sarcasm.

This is just an excuse plain and simple.

DonShula84 said:
They took those 3 good teams away like you said, but they added 3 complete cubcakes. You give them a pass for that, have fun and enjoy banging your head on the wall.

First off everyone plays a cupcake or 2. Not ONLY the big east teams

Second, you just don't replace the quality of teams they lost. You can't go out and schedule a FSU, Florida, Nebraska...etc on 1 years notice or 2 years notice.

Bottom line is, WV or L'ville will go to a BCS bowl game again this year. And one of those 2 will need to win that game (like last year with Georgia) and then all of the Big East bashers will have nothing to hang their hat on.

The Big East football wise was a conference put together overnight and it will take time to build. You don't just lose a Miami, VT, and BC and expect everything to stay the same. The scheduling is/was a mess for the teams left behind (pitt, su, rutgers, and wv). It's going to take those teams years to recover and put together a quality schedule. It isn't like those schools can pick up the phone and get a top tier or 2nd tier program to play them on 1 or 2 years short notice. It doesnt' work that way!!!! And anyone who is naive enough to think so really needs to brush up on their college footbal knowledge.

finswin56 said:
:confused: Am I being dense and missed the :rolleyes: in your post?
Because Miami kept Louisville on their schedule, and it wasn't need going into the ACC.
Besides, USC, Texas, OSU, ND (just off the top of my head) don't seem to be ducking anyone. There are talented teams out there. WV just needs to be willing to do a home and away series with someone bowl eligible.

1) ND isn't tied to a conference to even have them in this debate is laughable. Of course they don't duck anyone, because they are a made for tv program. If they don't play "sexy" teams they don't get the TV deal. And ND does duck 1 team. BC. Once BC started beating them year and and year out ND ducked out of that series and got them off the schedule.

2) WV will do home and aways, but probably the first opening for any home and away is 2010 or 2011 if they started talking TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!! When the 2006 schedule was made probably in 1998 or so, they thought a schedule of Miami, VT, Syracuse, BC, Maryland, and Pittsburgh was good enough. And during that time frame it was. Now, come 2004 Syracuse fell off the map. BC, VT, Miami are gone. WV can do nothing about that.

And maybe it keeps them out of the final game, but don't say they are ducking people. Or they won't play anyone. Because that is just wrong on every level.

MikeO said:
First off everyone plays a cupcake or 2. Not ONLY the big east teams

Second, you just don't replace the quality of teams they lost. You can't go out and schedule a FSU, Florida, Nebraska...etc on 1 years notice or 2 years notice.

I agree everyone has cupcakes and I agree you probably couldnt add a team of the same quality that they lost. But I find it hard to believe that they couldnt find someone better than Citadel or Eastern Washington to fill the spots. If they tried and couldnt then I'm wrong and it isnt their fault, but I just find it hard to believe.

Back
Top Bottom