There is a new No. 3 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There is a new No. 3

1) ND isn't tied to a conference to even have them in this debate is laughable. Of course they don't duck anyone, because they are a made for tv program. If they don't play "sexy" teams they don't get the TV deal. And ND does duck 1 team. BC. Once BC started beating them year and and year out ND ducked out of that series and got them off the schedule.

BC is back on the schedule next year or the year after actually :) Pitt is on our schedule also for '08

I just saw WVU added Auburn to it's schedule for the next couple years, that's a game I'd like to see.

And Louisville will play ND in 09 or 10 depending on ND's availability, also a game I'd like to see :)

WVU didn't just add Auburn to it's schedule it has been there. We did a deal with the SEC for 1 home 1 away. I am pretty sure we didn't pick what teams we play. They set us up with Miss St first then Auburn. We wanted to play some SEC schools since we do alot of recruiting form that area. After the 2 years with Auburn we get Mich St then Fla St.

Next MikeO is right on track about the scheduling issues. We had to fill the spot with Eastern Washington only a couple weeks before the season started. We had Buffalo scheduled and they bailed on us. Not like Buffalo is a good team but just goes to show how difficult it can be just to get a 1A team to fill the spot.

If WVU wanted to pimp themselves out like alot of the lower schools do to make money then they could get better schools to pick them up. Problem is WVU isn't doing anything less then a 1 for 1 deal. That is the problem. Finding a school that has 2 years free and is willing to do a 1 for 1 with us isn't easy. Alot of folks in this thread seem to think that WVU has all these schools calling up and begging us to play them when that is by far not the case.

The WVU athletic director and Coach Rod aren't huddled away trying to find the weakest schools to schedule so that we have a good record. It is simple; we want 6-7 home games and we want to play schools in the area we recruit. I doubt anything comes along to help out our schedule next year but starting in 2008 we will have 1 tough matchup out of conference per year like most other schools do.

You wanna talk about ducking competition look at who has dropped WVU from their schedule. Maryland will not play us anymore even though we have played like 50 years. VT could have easily stayed on our schedule, we have played them even longer, but they chose to take us off.

Another problem is the BigEast is only 8 teams. That gives us 5 non-conference games. Most teams have 4, except the Pac-10 that used the extra game to schedule another conference game. I think at some point the BigEast will add another football team at least I hope so. Maybe they are leaving it open in the hopes that ND might jump in and play football in the conference as well. I doubt it would ever happen but that would really help out the conference.

If you don't think an undefeated BigEast team deserves a NC shot then that is your opinion. Another thing to note is UofL and WVU have only played 7 games so far this year 5 to go. You are comparing their record to teams that have played 8-9 games already. Lets see how the Reg season plays out then we can argue who deserves what, till then it is pretty much a mute point.

MikeO said:
First off everyone plays a cupcake or 2. Not ONLY the big east teams

Second, you just don't replace the quality of teams they lost. You can't go out and schedule a FSU, Florida, Nebraska...etc on 1 years notice or 2 years notice.

Yeah, but the entire Big East is a cupcake. So, when your out of conference schedule is full of cupcakes too, there is very little strerngth of schedule there.

Trekbiz said:
Sarcasm?

If not others have already given very well put answers as to why this post should have been posted as sarcasm.

This is just an excuse plain and simple.
okie dokie. i'm not making excuses. i think all this schedule talk about "who plays the weaker/stronger schedule" crap gets old, because there's never a conclusion, it just expands more and more, next thing ya know, you have texas fans telling notre dame they suck because "rice would kick stanford's *** any day of the week! TEXAS IS BETTER THAN NOTRE DAME!!"

watch the teams play. look at the talent. figure it out yourself.

OSUDauby said:
Yeah, but the entire Big East is a cupcake. So, when your out of conference schedule is full of cupcakes too, there is very little strerngth of schedule there.

The Big Ten ain't exactly stellar this year. There are two very good teams(OSU, Mich), 3 above average teams(PSU, Wisconsin, Iowa), and the rest are average or worse.

I'd take WV or Louisville over any of the Big Ten this year(at least a coin flip) except OSU and Mich. And I would take(or coin flip) Rutgers or Pitt against over half the Big Ten.

OSUDauby said:

but none of thsoe schools knew VT, Miami,a and BC would be gone and S.Florida, Cincy, and L'ville would replace them years ago when the schedules are made! :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

DonShula84 said:
I agree everyone has cupcakes and I agree you probably couldnt add a team of the same quality that they lost. But I find it hard to believe that they couldnt find someone better than Citadel or Eastern Washington to fill the spots. If they tried and couldnt then I'm wrong and it isnt their fault, but I just find it hard to believe.

Not everyone is ND who can give out a $1 mill pay day per game and guarntee national TV for every game.

Being a ND fan I think your a little out of touch with the plight of the majority of the teams out there.

bottom line.......this debate is going in circles.

If WV (or L'ville) ends up playing OSU/Mich in that final game and wins, the whole "Big East is weak" thing will never be brought up again.

End of story!!

MikeO said:
Not everyone is ND who can give out a $1 mill pay day per game and guarntee national TV for every game.

Being a ND fan I think your a little out of touch with the plight of the majority of the teams out there.

Yea, not that NC State is really good this season, but I bet when they scheduled thier game against Akron, they figured it be an easy W.

I just mean, it's hard for mid-majors to schedule even lower tier big conference teams(outside of conference agreements), because if you lose to the mid-major it's viewed as a major flop.

MikeO said:
1) ND isn't tied to a conference to even have them in this debate is laughable. Of course they don't duck anyone, because they are a made for tv program. If they don't play "sexy" teams they don't get the TV deal. And ND does duck 1 team. BC. Once BC started beating them year and and year out ND ducked out of that series and got them off the schedule./quote]
You misunderstood my point. My point wasn't to say look at those teams who schedule anyone. My point was that it looks like those teams are always available for competition. If my point HAD been in reference to your misinterpretation, then I was ask why you ignored all the other teams that don't duck competition, and singled out one exception?

2) WV will do home and aways, but probably the first opening for any home and away is 2010 or 2011 if they started talking TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!! When the 2006 schedule was made probably in 1998 or so, they thought a schedule of Miami, VT, Syracuse, BC, Maryland, and Pittsburgh was good enough. And during that time frame it was. Now, come 2004 Syracuse fell off the map. BC, VT, Miami are gone. WV can do nothing about that.
This entire point is moot.
Louisville, found a way to keep UM on their schedule. They didn't have any more notice about the departing Big East teams than WV. If Louisville had enough time to schedule the U, then WVU had plenty of time to schedule someone respectable. I don't know how you can beat that drum so confidently when evidence that directly contradicts your theory stares you right in the face. That, my friend, is laughable.

And maybe it keeps them out of the final game, but don't say they are ducking people. Or they won't play anyone. Because that is just wrong on every level.
MAYBE they didn't duck anyone, but one thing is certain. West Virginia University did NOT succeed in getting their big time program a respectable schedule. The onus is on them.

finswin56 said:
This entire point is moot.
Louisville, found a way to keep UM on their schedule. They didn't have any more notice about the departing Big East teams than WV. If Louisville had enough time to schedule the U, then WVU had plenty of time to schedule someone respectable. I don't know how you can beat that drum so confidently when evidence that directly contradicts your theory stares you right in the face. That, my friend, is laughable.

Louisville WASN'T in the Big East!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! L'ville only got in once those other teams left.

L'ville scheduled Miami when they were in C-USA years ago!!!!!!:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: You don't even know the facts of what you are talking about!!!!!

MikeO said:
Louisville WASN'T in the Big East!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! L'ville only got in once those other teams left.

L'ville scheduled Miami when they were in C-USA years ago!!!!!!:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: You don't even know the facts of what you are talking about!!!!!

Hey Mike..I love Louisville at home vs WV....any thoughts?

DBoston80 said:
Hey Mike..I love Louisville at home vs WV....any thoughts?

WV is the better team in my opinion. L'ville has been hanging on in a lot of these games of late (much like USC was) and that might catch up with them. I think WV wins but it will be close.

I wouldn't bet the game though I don't like the line on it.

MikeO said:

Yeah fins...I'd hate to tell you, but he's got a point

MikeO said:

:o I sincerely apologize. Nothing more humbling then sticking your foot in your mouth. Don't know why my head was up my ***, but seemed to be firmly planted there.

Back
Top Bottom